Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kgp
yes clear enough thank you

so let's not touch it as I don't use them, I have monitors and external USB audio card which works perfectly

so far my results on cinebench, geekbench, and luxmark
again thx a lot for your involvement in the community

PS: not linked to installing High Sierra but to use as best a possible the resources of the 1080Ti
the overclocking is different and much more easier and secure (under water ONLY),
I mean instead of choosing a max frequency on the GPU and the GDDR and cross the fingers that the OC is ok
the unique way on Pascal is too unlock the limitation of wattage (XOC bios), which is pretty good for Mac users as us,
so from a 250W at standard we go to a non limit wattage so on short period it can go to 470W if the conditions are ok (temperature and PSU' wattage)

the graphic card will go at high frequency ONLY if cooling and PSU let it does it
no reboot possible or crashes :D
and the result with a good WC is to see the 1080Ti at the max boost when the program uses rendering or computing so 2000MHz / 13000MHz

will make a new topic with the bios for Aorus if someone is interested

@kgp does the MSR have to be unlocked for my overclock to take effect? I have everything in your guide in place and still my cpu will not turbo beyond 3.5ghz (My current multiplier is 42 so 4.2ghz). Any idea's or troubleshooting advice? Thanks

@kgp does the MSR have to be unlocked for my overclock to take effect? I have everything in your guide in place and still my cpu will not turbo beyond 3.5ghz (My current multiplier is 42 so 4.2ghz). Any idea's or troubleshooting advice? Thanks

I would not see any relation between MSR unlock and OC. If you would have everything from my guide in place, OC would work also in your case, moreover as you do use a i7-6800K CPU.

From what you write and explain above, one cannot deduce anything. No idea what are your actual BIOS and EFI settings.

Cheers,

KGP

I would not see any relation between MSR unlock and OC. If you would have everything from my guide in place, OC would work also in your case, moreover as you do use a i7-6800K CPU.

From what you write and explain above, one cannot deduce anything. No idea what are your actual BIOS and EFI settings.

Cheers,

KGP
Sorry about that, I've added as much information as possible to this post to give you something to go on.

BIOS Settings:
EIST: off
CPU C-State: enabled
Enhanced C1 state: enabled
CPU C3 report: enabled
CPU c6 report: enabled

All of your XCPM verification steps come back as intended.

I loaded the AppleIntelInfo kext and attached the output.

I've also attached a zip of my efi directory. (Same as your's with kernelPM on, PluginType enabled, FakeCPUID: 0x040674)

Also, I've attached screenshots of a cinebench run with the associated intel power gadget.

I appreciate the help!

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 5.33.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 5.33.53 PM.png

Attachments

• AppleIntelInfo.dat.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 133
  • EFI.zip
    31.9 MB · Views: 84
Sorry about that, I've added as much information as possible to this post to give you something to go on.

BIOS Settings:
EIST: off
CPU C-State: enabled
Enhanced C1 state: enabled
CPU C3 report: enabled
CPU c6 report: enabled

All of your XCPM verification steps come back as intended.

I loaded the AppleIntelInfo kext and attached the output.

I've also attached a zip of my efi directory. (Same as your's with kernelPM on, PluginType enabled, FakeCPUID: 0x040674)

Also, I've attached screenshots of a cinebench run with the associated intel power gadget.

I appreciate the help!

View attachment 335573 View attachment 335574

1.) Which max. CPU core ratio do you apply in the BIOS?
2.) Can you set C6 [non retention state]?
3.) Check if you use Broadwell-E performance patch PMHeart for 10.13.5 or 10.13.6 PB1
4.) Do you have an onboard switch for XMP and OC?
5.) Did you enable XMP in the BIOS?

Let's see if something of this helps..

BTW...

6.) Don't use boot flag nvda-drv=1 which is obsolete
7.) Don't use X99-Injector USB 3.kext

Reactions: GDS
1.) Which max. CPU core ratio do you apply in the BIOS?
2.) Can you set C6 [non retention state]?
3.) Check if you use Broadwell-E performance patch PMHeart for 10.13.5 or 10.13.6 PB1
4.) Do you have an onboard switch for XMP and OC?
5.) Did you enable XMP in the BIOS?

Let's see if something of this helps..

BTW...

6.) Don't use boot flag nvda-drv=1 which is obsolete
7.) Don't use X99-Injector USB 3.kext

1.) 42
2.) As far as I can tell, I cannot set C6.
3.) I do have the 10.13.5 patch and I am on 10.13.5
4.) I do not have an xmp or OC switch ( I have confirmed the overclock works in windows )
5.) I do have XMP on in my bios
6.) Nvidia web drivers don't seem to load without nvda-drv=1
7.) I don't get usb3 speeds without that kext.

I've also attached pictures of relevant settings in my bios. Would an IOreg dump help?
1.jpg
2.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 207
1.) 42
2.) As far as I can tell, I cannot set C6.
3.) I do have the 10.13.5 patch and I am on 10.13.5
4.) I do not have an xmp or OC switch ( I have confirmed the overclock works in windows )
5.) I do have XMP on in my bios
6.) Nvidia web drivers don't seem to load without nvda-drv=1
7.) I don't get usb3 speeds without that kext.

I've also attached pictures of relevant settings in my bios. Would an IOreg dump help?View attachment 335578View attachment 335579

You must set C6 [non retention state].. No idea what else could be wrong..

No experience with your board. Please ask somebody else with a similar board and BIOS for help in your issue.

Maybe you need additional xcpm patches to make OC work?

Is your MSR locked or unlocked for kernel write? If locked, you might need at least xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha in addition. Please find the correct one for 10.13.5.

BTW.. boot flag nvda_drv=1 just does nothing.. better check WebDriver in the last Section of Clover Configurator

You must set C6 [non retention state].. No idea what else could be wrong..

No experience with your board. Please ask somebody else with a similar board and BIOS for help in your issue.

Maybe you need additional xcpm patches to make OC work?

Is your MSR locked or unlocked for kernel write? If locked, you might need at least xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha in addition. Please find the correct one for 10.13.5.

BTW.. boot flag nvda_drv=1 just does nothing.. better check WebDriver in the last Section of Clover Configurator

Okay thanks, it is locked btw. I'm searching for xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha for 10.13.5, but cannot find it. Does anyone have any idea what it is / where I can find it

Ask @PMheart here or on InsanelyMac for all recent 10.13.5 Broadwell-E xcpm patches. I am sure she will be glad in sharing this information with you in public.

If you have all of them you can try which once are deemed necessary to gain OC also with your board and BIOS configuration.

Good luck,

KGP

Hey all,

I have a pretty stable x99 build following this guide, but recently my Thunderboltex3 started screwing up (more than usual). This started when I installed a new NVMe drive into a PCIe slot. After a bunch of trouble shooting, I bought an Alpine Ridge card which seems to work, but came with a new set issues. So I decided to buy a new Thunderboltex3 card (which is recognized where my old one was not -- so I have determined at least that the old one is faulty now). Unfortunately, whenever I have either the new Thunderboltex 3 or the Alpine Ridge card enabled and installed, I get kernal panics after a spam of AppleUSBHostController output that seems to be related to USB 3 when booting into OSX. The KP nor the AppleUSBHostController messages do not show up if I don't have Thunderbolt enabled.

There are different panics. The KPs often (but not always) reference "!UAudio" as the last loaded kext. I have a UAD Apollo Twin MKII -- but the weird thing is this KP happens even with the UAD drivers uninstalled, kexts cleaned from EFI, S/L/E, and L/E, as well as the kextcache rebuilt after they have been removed. I'm thinking that maybe !UAudio isn't related to UAD, because there's also other kexts that seem to be attached to it (that I can't find in any of my kext folders).

See attached screenshots. Any thoughts?

Asus x99 Deluxe II
i7 6950x
Gigabyte GeForce Aorus 1080 Ti Waterforce (PCIe_1)
NVMe x 2 (1 in PCIe_3, one in m.2 slot)
Thunderboltex3 (or Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3) (PCIe_5)

image1 (4).jpeg image1 (3).jpeg image1 (2).jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back