Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly... Oh well, I’ve started reinstalling windows. It’s such a pain. You have to unplug all of the drives or it won’t even start the install process. Anyway off topic!

I've had the same experience. I've done this install a bunch in the same way without issues, but for some reason this time my windows EFI partition was destroyed.

I too am in the process of re-installing windows.

I guess the lesson learned here is to disconnect your Windows disk (if you have that luxury) prior to installing OSX. In my case I have an m.2 950 Pro as my windows disk, and another standard SSD as my OSX disk.

I've disconnected my OSX disk during the install as a safety precaution.

I've had the same experience. I've done this install a bunch in the same way without issues, but for some reason this time my windows EFI partition was destroyed.

I guess the lesson learned here is to disconnect your Windows disk (if you have that luxury) prior to installing OSX. In my case I have an m.2 950 Pro as my windows disk, and another standard SSD as my OSX disk.

Once more... OSX does not affect windows at all!!! OSX even does not know about the existance of any EFI folder. The windows boot partition has totally different format and size.

The only way to screw up the windows boot loader partition under OSX is to inconsiously install the Clover Boot Loader there.

What you guys distribute here is nonsense, sorry.

I have a dual boot system and I did not face any issues when updating to 10.13.4 or 10.13.4 SU, as totally expected!

Cheers,

KGP

I'm sorry, that's wrong.

EFI partitions are marked as EFI or MSDOS, depending on the tool you use to manage them. Both Windows and OSX see these partitions fine using the likes of diskutil on OSX or computer management in Windows.

You can mount them as type MSDOS, no problem.

This was not an upgrade - it was a clean install of OSX.

I appreciate all of the hard work you put into this kgp, and I'm by no means trying to suggest that any of your instructions are wrong or incomplete - but the osx install broke my Windows boot manager. :)

Simple fact is, Windows was working before the OSX install, and was not afterwards.

I'm sorry, that's wrong.

EFI partitions are marked as EFI or MSDOS, depending on the tool you use to manage them. Both Windows and OSX see these partitions fine using the likes of diskutil on OSX or computer management in Windows.

You can mount them as type MSDOS, no problem.

This was not an upgrade - it was a clean install of OSX.

I appreciate all of the hard work you put into this kgp, and I'm by no means trying to suggest that any of your instructions are wrong or incomplete - but the osx install broke my Windows boot manager. :)

Simple fact is, Windows was working before the OSX install, and was not afterwards.

I did say that OSX does not use the EFI partition. I did not say that one cannot see or modify the EFI partition under OSX, which would be at odd with all my instructions and a really stupid conclusion.

In any case I don’t believe you at all that the macOS installation did modify your windows boot loader partition. Your latter claim in my opinion is a totally weird and simply wrong conclusion.

Nothing for bad,

KGP

I'm only telling you what happened in my case. Believe what you want! :)

I basically had the opposite NVME as my macOS and a SSD for my Windows install, I’m adamant I did not make a mistake.

Hey I followed the guide and I'm booting High Sierra, but I have some issues. Sometimes when the screen flashes white (think when you search for something on a page and there's no matches) the whole computer freezes and lock up. Cursor even disappears completely, and I need to do a hard reset. Also I updated to the latest AppleALC.kext, but audio is still completely broken.

Hey I followed the guide and I'm booting High Sierra, but I have some issues. Sometimes when the screen flashes white (think when you search for something on a page and there's no matches) the whole computer freezes and lock up. Cursor even disappears completely, and I need to do a hard reset. Also I updated to the latest AppleALC.kext, but audio is still completely broken.

With this description, nobody will be able to help. Please try to provide a detailed bug report, including what you did exactly so far, what is your EFI and BIOS configuration, etc.

Last edited:
With this description, nobody will be able to help. Please try to provide a detailed bug report, including what you did exactly so far, what is your EFI and BIOS configurarion, etc.
Sure. BIOS configuration is as detailed in the guide through step E.7. Attached is my EFI.zip. Not sure what's causing the freezes/crashes, so instructions on what I should do to gather bug/crash logs would be appreciated. Absolutely no audio devices, no HDMI audio, no USB audio, nothing. Any advice?

5960X
2x Titan X (Maxwell)
Rampage V Extreme
64GB RAM

EDIT: When I opened Clover Configurator right after logging in, it flashed white indicating I had a notification, but it froze the whole screen. Hard reset didn't help, and when I logged back in macOS reopened the frozen windows and kept them frozen. Had to reboot several times to get it back to normal. Don't know if this is a coincidence since the freezes have happened even when I hadn't opened Clover Configurator. Just thought this might provide a bit more info.

EDIT 2: Now all my stuff is crashing/freezing on login, but if I login as guest everything works fine. It keeps loading the same windows and is crashing before it lets me close them. Screen flashes black very briefly on login. Clearing the nvram also fixes the problem, but the problem comes back.

EDIT 3: Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Nvidia Web Drivers seems to have fixed the login problems (unsure yet if it fixed the white-flash freeze/crash thing). However audio remains broken.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.1 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back