Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Cuda just for Substance Painter which probably isn't as intensive as premiere and I only use it in about 15% of my workflow but it will freeze my rig within a minute with EIST while running smoothly without. I don't really have anything else I can suggest but since there is a new version of SP out I will be working with it heavily this week and will provide any more info I have on the thread that xiaodai created. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-screen-will-be-stuck-when-cuda-application-is-running.248535/

On my side, the freezing will also appear on low pressure cuda applications.

I try to disable any overclock setting and add some voltage to several items. The freezing issue is obviously better, but as @guysmilez mentioned, it still there.

How do you deal with XCPM? As this post said, if you do not modify your bios, you may face kernel panic for XCPM.

Hi @kgp , do you have the interest to test the CUDA stability on your machine. I (or we) want to double check whether the issue is personal.

Hi @kgp , do you have the interest to test the CUDA stability on your machine. I (or we) want to double check whether the issue is personal.

Can I get rid of CUDA afterwards? ;)

If so and if you tell me how, I can do the test. I also would need a small guideline in how to install the correct cuda version.

In my personal opinion, metal 2 is much more powerful then cuda for most applications. I would mostly expect advantages with cuda in number crunching.

Hi @kgp. This was probably said somewhere, but I'm not sure. I already have an OS on my PC (Win10). If I were to install macOS like in the guide above, would I still be also able to use windows? (I DO have a bunch of separate hard drives, so macOS would be on its own drive). Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi @kgp. This was probably said somewhere, but I'm not sure. I already have an OS on my PC (Win10). If I were to install macOS like in the guide above, would I still be also able to use windows? (I DO have a bunch of separate hard drives, so macOS would be on its own drive). Thanks!

Sure

Hey raptortrax! After further testing the freezing issue is definitely better but not totally gone. Is there anything else that maybe effecting this?

Could I just disable any other type or CPU control. Performance and stability are most important to me and if that mean disabling all eco CPU controls that's fine.

It seems to have narrowed down to just adobe premier or media encoder. I was able to get it to freeze and crash when using redcine-x while decoding footage but that seems to be pretty stable now

Hi @guysmilez , I have a new observation just recent and just for your information. I feel the freezing issue is better if I disable monitor sleep (turn display off time - never).

Does the attached SSDT-NVMe-extern-icon-patch.aml work?[/QUOTE said:
No better :(
I'm missing something here
Is there a webpage to learn more about ACPI implementation with ioregistery and MaciADSL

[QUOTE="This PCI device implementation should be anyway part of SSDT-ASUS-X99-A-II.aml.. Thus you might by able to skip the entire SSDT-NVMe-extern-icon-patch.aml, if you use a properly configured SSDT-ASUS-X99-A-II.aml...
I understand
Thanks again

Hi kgp,
In your opinion, can I upgrade to 10.13.4 no problems or there are some steps to follow?
Thanks

I will soon update the X99 guide. Had to update the X299 guide before.

Please take 10.13.4 apsf.efi, 10.13.4 USB port limit patch and 10.13.4 HDAU KextToPatch entry from there in the meanwhile.

Guide update to 10.13.4 completed.

New EFI-Folder attached at the end of the originating post of this thread (guide).

Enjoy and have fun,

kgp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back