Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much @kgp! I booted up successfully with the new EFI folder, and the first thing I noticed is that the Intel Power Gadget is showing the processor sticking to a flat-line at 1.2 GHz, which is the lowest speed at which my 5820K can work (screenshot attached). What could be wrong here?

I checked my os version and it looks like I am on 10.13.6 SU. I can't see any new updates in the App Store.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-24 22.18.36.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-24 22.18.36.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 58
Thanks so much @kgp! I booted up successfully with the new EFI folder, and the first thing I noticed is that the Intel Power Gadget is showing the processor sticking to a flat-line at 1.2 GHz, which is the lowest speed at which my 5820K can work (screenshot attached). What could be wrong here?

I checked my os version and it looks like I am on 10.13.6 SU. I can't see any new updates in the App Store.

Run cinebench benchmark.. if CPU frequency does not raise answer my previous question!

Did you update CPU microcodes in your actual BIOS Firmware? Without this firmware update, OC might not work on your system.

DISABLE EIST IN BIOS SETTINGS!!!

You cannot set C6 (non-retention state)?

I got very low results (358cb) and the frequency still seems to be stuck at 1.2 GHZ, although the rest of the graphs are jumping around when the benchmark runs.

To be honest, I didn't update the CPU microcodes, because I have not been able to figure it out. I have a Gigabyte board, and the BIOS update process is actually a bit different. Let me go through it again, and see if I can figure it out...

I got very low results (358cb) and the frequency still seems to be stuck at 1.2 GHZ, although the rest of the graphs are jumping around when the benchmark runs.

To be honest, I didn't update the CPU microcodes, because I have not been able to figure it out. I have a Gigabyte board, and the BIOS update process is actually a bit different. Let me go through it again, and see if I can figure it out...

DID YOU DISABLE EIST ?

@kgp I ran the latest firmware update for my motherboard, which did have the latest microcode update. The processor is behaving exactly the same though. Still stuck in a straight line at 1.2 GHz.

I don't know how relevant or correct this is, but it was hitting 4.3 GHz, C2, C3 and C6 states with the usual package msr code and the Haswell/Broadwell performance fix, so I guess overclock was working (right?). I also do get fantastic performance with the PMDrvr.kext, but of course, it's another story that the computer is unable to sleep then.

Anything that can be done?

@kgp I ran the latest firmware update for my motherboard, which did have the latest microcode update. The processor is behaving exactly the same though. Still stuck in a straight line at 1.2 GHz.

I don't know how relevant or correct this is, but it was hitting 4.3 GHz, C2, C3 and C6 states with the usual package msr code and the Haswell/Broadwell performance fix, so I guess overclock was working (right?). I also do get fantastic performance with the PMDrvr.kext, but of course, it's another story that the computer is unable to sleep then.

With my board and CPU everything works as expected. With yhe EFI-Folder I prepared for you also everything should work as expected.
other users also successfully run their i7-5820K with the settings I provided.

The rest might depend on your BIOS and BIOS settings.

No further help from my side, sorry. I already did what I was able to do.

Cheers, KGP

Reactions: GDS

There is some hope left, though. Also in your case I forgot to implement TSCAdjustReset.kext attached below under /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ ..

Download, unzip and implement the kext and see if this improves your CPU behaviour.

Good luck,

KGP

Attachments

• TSCAdjustReset.kext.zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 65
So I just looked at the _xcpm patches and the performance patch that you had added to the config.plist looked different from the one that I had seen for Haswell-E earlier, so I made the following change:

Your _xcpm Performance patch (I've disabled it for now):

Find: C1E30848 63D389D0 48C1EA20 B9990100 000F3048 FF0579C8 6B004883 C4085B5D C3662E0F 1F840000 000000
Replace: B800FF00 004863D3 89D048C1 EA20B999 0100000F 3048FF05 79C86B00 4883C408 5B5DC390 90909090 909090

Earlier _xcpm Performance patch that I was using (I have re-added it to my config.plist):

Find: C1E30848 63D389D0 48C1EA20 B9990100 000F3048 FF0579B0 6B004883 C4085B5D C3662E0F 1F840000 000000
Replace: BB00FF00 004863D3 89D048C1 EA20B999 0100000F 3048FF05 79B06B00 4883C408 5B5DC390 90909090 909090

Now the processor frequencies are going up and down, but the performance is still average. I am looking for the straight lines at 4.3 GHz when I launch something like cinebench or Geekbench...

I had already followed your amazing guide, and implemented the TSCAdjustReset.kext, so that was not a factor.

Last edited:
Hi, KGP!
First of all, mane thanks for your great work and wonderful extended guide!

Now I've finished building my customac... Is works perfectly. Although there are still problems with sleep, definition of some PCI devices and HDMI/DP Audio PCI implementation.

If I clearly understanding, after CPU Microcode Update and the MSR 0xE2 register unlocking, I do't need use any xcpm patches... And really, after remowing all xpcm patches from "KernelToPatch" Section of Clover Configurator, I've received perfect performance.

But verifying my XCPM configuration, with the terminal command "sysctl machdep.xcpm.mode" and "kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu", I receive answer "0" and "1" respectively.

Does it mean that XCPM mode don't work properly?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back