Contribute
Register

How to download Mountain Lion application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacBook Air (idk)
CPU
1,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536MB
Hello! I have macOS Monterey on my main Mac. I want to install mountain lion on my old pc. Where I could get the application, cause when I download the .dmg file, it shows an .pkg file, I double click on the .pkg file and it says that I can't install the application. Any Ideas what to do??

I have no idea if this card is supported by Mt. Lion. Have you researched it?
idk, actually sorry if this might sound rude, but I don't really care if there is graphics drivers installed :)

I don't really care if there is graphics drivers installed
You'll need the driver support in mac OS X to be able to even get Mt. Lion installed.

You could install an old Radeon 5770 and then at least you would get acceleration. 12 years ago this was a very popular hackintosh card on this site. Many people used them and they work OOB. Should work with Mt. Lion.

There are also many Nvidia Kepler cards you could use with Mt. Lion too.

This is a tricky one because currently Apple themselves only offer OS X back as far as Yosemite, but perhaps the GibMacOS script can go back even further?

Yes, if you run the *.pkg file on a modern Mac it will tell you that you can't expand/install it. You need to be running a version of macOS immediately prior or of the same release to the one you are trying to install. So ...

You need to go the long way round by creating an installer manually as @trs96 explained. Once you have done that then you will have to start the installation on a PC which has had its internal date set to the same - or very shortly after - the date that the OS X version was released, or it will fail again.

This is one of the biggest obstacles to installing such an old version of OS X on modern hardware. I know, I've been there. One tip is to ensure you have no Internet access live for the installer, or it will see the real date and update. Sometimes you even have to change the motherboard BIOS date too. Another thing to get your head around, is "spoofing" of a necessary, and contemporary, CPU, or again installation will fail. The GPU issue has already been covered above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back