Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't
CPU
read the
Graphics
Rules!
I change today my i3-2310M CPU for a i7-2670QM following the instructions of Pepetuelo!!! in this tread http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/59012-probook-4530s-craking-open.html

My geekbench before was 4718 right now is 9805 8=O. Changing the CPU is a great way to improve the performance of the Laptop. I got the CPU used in Ebay for 76€

I just want to comment the instruccions of Pepetuelo with the things that are missing, just small details that maybe are only for the model that I got the 4530s XX960EA

NOTE:Before you change the CPU use the HP Probook Installer and select your new processor and the DSDT, then shut down the laptop and start to disamble it. Just in case of something going wrong I made a copy with Carbon Copy Cloner of the system before installing the new processor and DSDT, I did not need it, after I turned on the laptop everything was working great.!!

pepetuelo said:
Today I got my new i5 2410m processor to upgrade my standard i3 CPU, and I would like to share my experience in this process.

NOTE: if you feel comfortable taking apart electronic components go for it, if not I will suggest to seek help!!

I purchase this processor for a cheap price in eBay about $79 including shipping sweet!!!

I started by taking the screws underneath the battery, they are 4 big flat screes that hold the back of the casing.

+++(There were only 3 Big flat screws)

pepetuelo said:
To remove the bottom covert just release the lock hinges that makes the battery come loose, keep moving the lock hinges until the bottom comes off.

Remove the screw (little one) located in the middle after the battery is removed, this have a label with a lock on it.

Remove the rest of the screws (hex screws) on the side of the casing (labeled MX2.5x6), at this point you can remove the rest of the screws located underneath the cover that covers the memory, they are going to be a few, also some Philips screws that hold the keyboard.
Also you can remove at this point the burner and the screws underneath it (3 of them).

+++(There are 10 screws m2.5x2.5 Atention 4 of them are under some gummy pads in each corner of the computer, first remove the pads and then the screws)

pepetuelo said:
At this point you can remove the wireless cable connectors, the have a black and white sticker, make sure you noticed where those go, so just in case you will not have any issues at the time you need to put it back, JUST IN CASE!!!! :eek:

Ohh before I forget, make sure you take the SD card cover and the wifi broadband cover as well

+++ (What is the wifi broadband cover? I did not remove it and still worked)

pepetuelo said:
Ok moving on, take the keyboard very carfully, you will fell that is kind of tight on the sides and is because the put glue to keep it tight, after you release the keyboard, take the ribbon cable by lifting the white lock lever. You will find 3 little ones underneath the keyboard + the speaker cable (red & black cable).

Take the rest of the screws you will see in that area as well, they will be 3 labeled M2.5X6
+++(6 screws)

pepetuelo said:
Prime the top case easily, they will be a cable closed to the trackpad.

+++(All what is described before, can be followed in this video from HP, the link is
+++http://h20464.www2.hp.com/resultsCSR...0-DCE8406A2623

pepetuelo said:
At this point the motherboard will be exposed and you can take the screen cable, if see more go ahead and remove them, honestly I don't remember if there is more cables there.

+++(I think they were 3, it is also necesary to remove the wan minicard wich is attached with a black cable, 2 small screws)

pepetuelo said:
Remove the screw located in the bottom left of the motherboard.

Remove the cables on the side of the motherboard, I believe you will see 2 of them, then underneath it will be a few.

+++( I did not remove the cables in the bottom of the moterboard I just put the motherboard in top of the screen with some paper between them (not the best idea but I was lucky nothing happend)

pepetuelo said:
At this point you are pretty much all set, remove the piece adhesive holding one side of the heatsink, then unscrew the cpu heatsink and the processor will be exposed.

The CPU will be locked in place, unscrew the lock counter-clock wise to loose the CPU. Place the new one CAREFULLY, follow the mark arrow in the CPU. The CPU will fit only one way, don't force it, it should falls into place easily. Lock clock-wise so the pins will make contact.

Prepare the heatsink with thermal paste evenly, Then start assembling everything again.

You can connect everything till you get the top case. At this point you can give it a try to see if the laptop will show the bios at least, that is a good sign that is reading the CPU info propertly.

+++(I connected the keyboard to get in to the bios info, everything was working)

pepetuelo said:
I will post some pictures of the laptop later.

I hope this helps some people in this forum that wanted to upgrade there CPU to a fastest one.

PD: If I miss something and I'm sure I did, I'm sorry for that.
PD2: yes I forgot about the HDD, 4 Screws to release it. That's it.

I'm OOOUUT!!!!

Plagiarism

Not plagiarism, it was a recomendation of the original writer of the guide Pepetuelo to avoid confussion with his own, I clearly wrote with +++ signs my observations I am just trying to help, If the format of how I marked my observations is wrong, please let me know how can i do it and I will change it.

EDIT: After I answered Bagnolet I noticed the Quote marks so I changed the first post to mark the coments of Peppetuelo-

Excellent write-up vicentefoxxx! Thank you!

I upgraded my i3 to an i5 tonight and your guide helped give me the courage to give it a shot (had no choice as Compusa said no way, they don't upgrade laptos cpu's).

Took me about an hour and only ended up with one extra screw, not sure how but I managed to bust off my F1 key which I'll glue back on as I don't want to shell out the $30 for a replacement keyboard, and I put a small scratch next to the trackpad (any way to buff that out?)

Oh well, it was a learning experience and overall not as difficult as I thought it would be. I used Multibeast to change the cpu to an i5 before I did the upgrade and had no problem booting into Mountain Lion.

Thanks

I upgraded my i3 to an i5 tonight and your guide helped give me the courage to give it a shot (had no choice as Compusa said no way, they don't upgrade laptos cpu's).

Took me about an hour and only ended up with one extra screw, not sure how but I managed to bust off my F1 key which I'll glue back on as I don't want to shell out the $30 for a replacement keyboard, and I put a small scratch next to the trackpad (any way to buff that out?)

Oh well, it was a learning experience and overall not as difficult as I thought it would be. I used Multibeast to change the cpu to an i5 before I did the upgrade and had no problem booting into Mountain Lion.

Thanks

You should really use the Probook installer to get the specific SSDT for your new CPU. It is likely your laptop is idle @ 1.6GHz (desktop idle) instead of 800MHz appropriate for laptops. It *will* affect your battery life.

I just want to tell you that I`ve also successfully upgraded my probook 4330s from an i3 2310m to a i7 2670qm without any problems. The only thing I was surprised at that it only took 7 minutes... All I needed to do was (after I added the new processor in Probook Installer) to remove the bottom of the laptop... and there was the heatsink with the processor under it. So I did not have to disassemble my probook, I only removed the screws holding the heatsink in place, then swapped the cpu, cleaned the heatsink, applied a new thermal paste... and that was it... after restart everything worked like a charm!

these i7s are unbelievably efficient... when idle, all 4 cores are around 39-40 celsius... and even under high load they do not heat up more than the i3, and the battery life remained more or less the same.

Good luck for everyone!

View days ago I also upgraded my probook 4530s from an i3-2310M to a i7-2670QM CPU. Thanks to the tutorial disassembly wasn't a big deal.
One thing to mention: If you already were running a patched dsdt.aml before the upgrade just stick to it. When you run the ProBook-Installer don't install the generic dsdt.aml again, just select and install the proper ssdt.aml fitting your new CPU.
As of rehabmans advice I was patching my dsdt again after the i7 upgrade.
System runs like charm and temperatures are pretty much the same as with the i3. I'd absolutely recommend the upgrade.
And when I look at the price of an actual MacBook Pro I get a big grin. :p
Cheers.

I'm on 10.8.3 with an i5 processor (using the HP probook installer), if I go to an i7 I just re-run the installer afterwards and change my processor to the i7 ? any other steps involved ?

I'm on 10.8.3 with an i5 processor (using the HP probook installer), if I go to an i7 I just re-run the installer afterwards and change my processor to the i7 ? any other steps involved ?

Best to remove /Extra/ssdt.aml before shutting down to replace the CPU. Then, after upgrading, boot with Unibeast USB stick (into your existing install on HDD) and run the ProBook Installer v6.1 to generate an SSDT for your new chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back