Contribute
Register

How to Create a OS X El Capitan Public Beta Installation USB Using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was unable to get El Capitan to install using this method, I booted using just -v flag and there were a few times the verbose log hung.

First time I noticed a pause:
Code:
**** [IOBluetoothFamily][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

It carried on after for a little while but hung here for ages and then booted but just went to a white screen with the spinning beachball:

Code:
NVDAGK100HAL loaded and registered
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1548
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 2208
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 206
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 3583
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1086

Using Clover v2.3k r3241 settings for clover usb attached not Macintosh HD:

Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 19.32.06.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-11 at 19.32.11.png

It is installed on my external drive.

What finally worked: [EDIT -- corrections]

1. Create a carbon copy of your Yosemite drive on an external drive. Copy the EFI partition manually from your current Yosemite drive. (After formatting your new drive already has an EFI partition, it is empty. Just copy the files.) On the new partition copy kexts from 10.10 to 10.11.
2. Create a USB stick just as described by Tony, using the STANDARD plist (I have a Nvidia card, so I used the Nvidia plist before, my bad)
3. Restart your computer, choosing your external drive as startup disk. Start the Install OS X El Capitan Public Beta downloaded from App Store while in Yosemite. After 14 minutes (in my case) it will restart.
4. Upon first restart, choose USB stick as boot device, then in Clover start "Install OS X from [your external hard drive]"
5. Wonder why 22 minutes take so frigging long (it's because you're installing on an external drive on USB 2.0)
6. Upon second restart choose your El Capitan drive as boot device and boot from it.

Boots with nv_disable=1 but resolution is incorrect and the "safe mode effect" of constantly redrawing windows is really getting on my nerves. nvda_drv and Clover Nvidia inject cause KP.

Last edited:
I've updated like a official mac to Ei Capitian 10.11 but i created a second partition on one of my other drives it works fine doing that you just need to add FakeSMC.kext and Ethernet kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11 mine updated fine on my machine Z77-DS3H Core i7 3770 GTX760. Note I'm using latest version of Clover. ill be trying it on my other machine H61N-USB3 Core i5 2500k :thumbup:

hey i got the same board. you think you can share your bios and install USB guide with me.
i was able to create the USB fine but after the the fist boot (create the recovery partition) back with usb and install get to about 12 minutes remain and machine reboot...please advise on this issue.

thanks

Z77X-UD5H
GTX 740

i didn't do mine like that what i did was i installed Mavericks using Unibeast then i migrated to Clover set up my rt variables for iMessage etc then i updated to Yosemite like a official mac straight from the app store then i created a second partition for EI Capitian and just updated from the App. id recommend you installing Yosemite with Unibeast then install Clover set up then update just make sure that you format your EFI Partition to Fat32 first then run Clover if your booting with UEFI then use UEFI booting for Clover also another thing make sure you don't install CsmVideoDxe-64 because that will cause you problems with booting. if you've set Clover up currently it will look something like this also make sure that you put FakeSMC and Ethernet etc in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11 so copy your kexts from 10.10 to 10.11 folder :thumbup:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 04.06.47.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 04.06.47.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 411
Was unable to get El Capitan to install using this method, I booted using just -v flag and there were a few times the verbose log hung.

First time I noticed a pause:
Code:
**** [IOBluetoothFamily][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

It carried on after for a little while but hung here for ages and then booted but just went to a white screen with the spinning beachball:

Code:
NVDAGK100HAL loaded and registered
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1548
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 2208
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 206
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 3583
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1086

Using Clover v2.3k r3241 settings for clover usb attached not Macintosh HD:

Is there a reason you chose to do a MBR install on a Series 9 mobo with UEFI?

Just a FYI, PartitionDXE is only to add support for Apple Partition Formated drives and hybrid MBR, also for series 9 its best to chose AptioFix2 and Emu is not needed.

Is there a reason you chose to do a MBR install on a Series 9 mobo with UEFI?

Just a FYI, PartitionDXE is only to add support for Apple Partition Formated drives and hybrid MBR, also for series 9 its best to chose AptioFix2 and Emu is not needed.
PJALM,

Managed to get a little bit further this time although still ran into a problem - so I have Windows 10 installed in UEFI mode (I think) on my 1 TB HDD and I was able to boot from the UEFI USB and get to the El Capitan installer using -v rootless=0 using the following Clover settings:

• Install in UEFI only
  • Install Clover in ESP
  • AptioFix2

So initially, I booted up the USB and the installer went through fine and seemed to install El Capitan on my SSD drive after formatting it accordingly:

a. Choose Disk Utility
b. Highlight your target hard drive for the Yosemite installation in left column.
c. Click Partition tab
d. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
e. Click Options...
f. Choose GUID Partition Table
g. Under Name: type Yosemite (You can rename it later)
h. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
i. Click Apply then Partition
j. Close Disk Utility

After the installer restarted the UEFI version of my USB had disappeared, meaning I had nothing to boot into the non UEFI version just says re-insert media or something.Now whenever I try to make a bootable device in Clover, the UEFI version doesn't show up? Not sure if the USB needed to be formatted to FAT32 as stated in the ESP section however I've not needed to do this in the past. Windows still boots normally from drive and also now boots from Mac OS X from Boot Manager.

This method never works for me , It restarts after it boots . I'm waiting for unibeast , Thanks for the guide though .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back