Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
beta.jpg

Here's a quick guide to create an El Capitan Public Beta Installation USB using Clover based on the Yosemite 10.10 Clover guide. Please note, this guide is not universal, and may not work for all systems.

UPDATE: System security has changed in Public Beta 3+. Config.plists have been updated with SIP removal RtVariables. The latest version of Clover is required for kext injection to work. For more information please read: Explaining OS X El Capitan Security Changes - Workarounds and Current Information.

STEP 1: Download OS X El Capitan Public Beta

1. Enroll in the Free Apple Beta Software Program
2. Open Mac App Store
3. Log in with your Apple ID
4. Redeem code
4. Download OS X El Capitan Public Beta

The Application Install OS X El Capitan Public Beta will appear in /Applications.

STEP 2: Prepare Bootable USB Drive
This step extracts the OS X Installer contents, then installs Clover bootloader to the USB stick.

1. Insert the USB drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column
usb.png
4. Click on the Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose GUID Partition Table
8. Under Name: type USB (You can rename it later)
9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition
11. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
12. Type the following, enter password and hit enter. This command completely erases the USB, then creates native OS X installer media from the Install OS X El Capitan Public Beta Application.

(For Public Beta)
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan\ Public\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan\ Public\ Beta.app --nointeraction

(For GM Candidate)
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan\ GM\ Candidate.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan\ GM\ Candidate.app --nointeraction

(For Final Release)
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 4.45.26 PM.png

Upon completion, the USB will be renamed Install OS X El Capitan Public Beta.

13. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge
14. Open Clover package installer
15. Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location...
16. Choose the USB, now called Install OS X El Capitan Public Beta
17. Hit Customize and install Clover to the same USB
18. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ and replace default config.plist with attached config.plist *
19. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ and add FakeSMC.kext
20. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ and add your ethernet kext
21. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ and add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
22. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ remove VBoxHfs-64.efi and add HFSPlus.efi
23. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and add DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml

*See attached config.plist for a working minimal configuration.

Your Clover Installation USB is now finished.

For post installation instructions and screenshots, please see
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

Clover Developers:
Slice, with help of Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, STLVNUB, pcj, apianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr…

Source code credits:
Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon, rEFIt and Xom.

Official Clover Links:
Sourceforge: Clover
Clover Wiki
Clover Configurator
Sample config.plists:
Select the sample config.plist for your system.
config.plist Standard
For desktop systems with ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx, R9 2xx, 3xx, NVIDIA GeForce 6xx, 7xx, 9xx, TITAN. Equivalent to Chimera/Chameleon GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes.

config plist - Inject Intel HD 3000
For desktop systems with Intel HD 3000. Equivalent to Chimera IGPEnabler=Yes.

config plist - Inject NVIDIA
For desktop systems with older NVIDIA graphics cards such as GeForce 8xxx, 9xxx, 2xx, 4xx, 610, and 630. Equivalent to Chimera/Chameleon GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

config plist - Inject ATI
For desktop systems with older ATI graphics cards such as ATI Radeon 4xxx. Equivalent to Chimera/Chameleon GraphicsEnabler=Yes.​

Attachments

• config.plist-Inject-ATI-LATEST.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,036
  • config.plist-Inject-NVIDIA-LATEST.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 4,955
  • config.plist-Standard-LATEST.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 7,836
  • config.plist-Inject-Intel-HD3000-desktop-LATEST.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 2,054
How to Create a OS X El Capitan Public Beta Installation USB Using Clover [TESTING]

unibeast3.png

UniBeast users, we're going to be releasing a special version soon- stay tuned.

EDIT: Due to security changes in Public Beta 3+ UniBeast for Beta will be cancelled. Sorry for any inconvenience, we are testing a ton to attempt to support the eventual release.

Last edited by a moderator:
How to Create a OS X El Capitan Public Beta Installation USB Using Clover [TESTING]

Wow, so in essence, nothing changes from Yosemite and we can just boot to the recovery partition and upgrade like native? That is incredible if so.

I've heard that you can simply upgrade from Yosemite like a real Mac using the App on a machine running Clover, but haven't tested that.

i'm excited for this. hopefully i'll have some time in the next few days to try it out! You guys rock!

Just thought I would add that absolutely nothing can be installed to S/L/E on the installer or it won't boot up also after installed and after patching the native AppleHDA.kext and reinstalling it into S/L/E you must boot up with rootless=0 and kexdevmode=1 boot flags or you will have no sound all the needed kexts should remain in clover folder and I made a new folder on mine named 10.11 since I have several os installed on my machine in my sig also I noticed that a lot of fixes have taken place in this version but there are also a lot of apps that do not support it yet also the clover trim enabler patch on the fly still works

I've heard that you can simply upgrade from Yosemite like a real Mac using the App on a machine running Clover, but haven't tested that.

Presumably you would have to boot with rootless=0 after doing this, correct? If you just add that as a boot arg then you should be good to go?

I've updated like a official mac to Ei Capitian 10.11 but i created a second partition on one of my other drives it works fine doing that you just need to add FakeSMC.kext and Ethernet kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11 mine updated fine on my machine Z77-DS3H Core i7 3770 GTX760. Note I'm using latest version of Clover. ill be trying it on my other machine H61N-USB3 Core i5 2500k :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back