Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS Mojave Public Beta Installation USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys i have a little issue here with creating the usb drive. I run the command and is says:
Code:
Alexs-iMac:~ alex$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --nointeraction --downloadassets
To use this tool, you must download the macOS installer application on a Mac with 10.12.5 or later, or El Capitan 10.11.6. For more information, please see the following: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201372.
This is on my high sierra hackintosh. Didn't have any issues with the hack itself tho

Did you download the entire Mojave installer from App Store? 5.7gb and is it in your applications folder?

Did you download the entire Mojave installer from App Store? 5.7gb and is it in your applications folder?
Yep. Officially downloaded from the App Store, on the hackintosh itself, as you can see in the terminal log it is in my applications folder. I have no idea what's wrong, a very obscure error.

Yep. Officially downloaded from the App Store, on the hackintosh itself, as you can see in the terminal log it is in my applications folder. I have no idea what's wrong, a very obscure error.

Is it the latest version of High Sierra, it requires the latest versions of El Cap and Sierra, maybe the same for HS.

Same problem on my iMac :
WARNING: "--applicationpath" is deprecated in macOS 10.14 and greater. Please remove it from your invocation.

To use this tool, you must download the macOS installer application on a Mac with 10.12.5 or later, or El Capitan 10.11.6. For more information, please see the following: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201372.

Is there/will there be a way to install this on an older Mac by editing a .plist or something? I have a Late 2009 iMac that runs HS just fine. No reason that it shouldn't be able to run Mohave other than Apple excluding it.
No. Mojave only supports Metal graphics. The kexts to support pre Metal graphics have been removed. Forcing a Mojave install results in VESA graphics, unusable. Installing High Sierra kexts to Mojave does not work as the kext will not load.

Metal/GPUs
Intel: Ivy Bridge/HD4000 and newer
AMD: GCN/HD7000 and newer
Nvidia: Kepler/ GeForce 600 and newer

Last edited:
Is it the latest version of High Sierra, it requires the latest versions of El Cap and Sierra, maybe the same for HS.
It's 10.13.5, i wasn't able to update to 10.13.6 due to kernel panic stuff (unrelated issues). Anyway it's way above el capitan as it says in its requirements. If it helps imessage works on it so the build itself should be valid.
I'm thinking it's something wrong with mojave createinstallmedia

No. Mojave only supports Metal graphics. The kexts to support pre Metal graphics have been removed. Forcing a Mojave install results in VESA graphics, unusable. Installing High Sierra kexts to Mojave does not work as the kext will not load.

Metal/GPUs
Intel: Ivy Bridge/HD4000 and newer
AMD: GCN/HD7000 and newer
Nvidia: Kepler/ GeForce 600 and newer

There are reports of using Sierra kexts with some success. HD 3000 graphics and some older AMD and Nvidia kexts. However, this is experimental and issues may/will arise especially with further updates. Not an ideal setup. It also seems to be working for older WiFi support.

It's 10.13.5, i wasn't able to update to 10.13.6 due to kernel panic stuff (unrelated issues). Anyway it's way above el capitan as it says in its requirements. If it helps imessage works on it so the build itself should be valid.
I'm thinking it's something wrong with mojave createinstallmedia

If you have a spare drive and a USB to Sata adapter or USB external drive setup you could try a direct install instead of a USB installer. Using a USB drive it installs in HFS mode instead of apfs.

Also, did you name your USB untitled? Maybe try renaming it USB and run command again.

Last edited:
Acceleration?

Yes, with High Sierra some folks used El Capitan Kexts so the trick is to go back 2 steps. Rehabman mentioned the support Kexts like ACPI and others still contain the older CPU support but this could get cleaned up in later updates and then no support will be possible. This is obviously not a sound solution and is a temporary unconventional work around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back