Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS High Sierra Public Beta Installation USB

Thanks. I will make sure that I do I get the correct Clover install option next.

I installed Clover from Multibeast 10.3. Is that wrong? Do I have to install directly from the sourceforg installer? - In order to get it into its own EFI partition?
Clover Builds

tecemac: yes the instructions on page 1, post 1, walk you step by step through the process necessary for making a bootable USB stick that will install High Sierra. Just follow the steps exactly and you should be good to go. The reason you have to install Clover on the USB stick is to make the stick bootable.

If you install Clover in UEFI mode it installs to the /EFI/ folder on the EFI partition.

I am starting with the Disk Util application of 10.13.4, on a Hackintosh. In the Disk Util tool one ONLY gets a choice on the USB stick of 'erase', not the partition choice. Moving forward using the erase option I created a single partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition on the USB.

I used the createmedia command to create a bootable (if MAC OS HW) USB stick.

Before I install CLOVER on the USB (i.e. step 2 of post #1), I renamed it 'USB-HS-5a' for my own convenience. Then on the same hackintosh I restarted into the local CLOVER boot loader from my SSD. There I see a new option to boot from the USB device called 'USB-HS-5a' which I did, and succeeded to get into the installer. I cancelled out at that point because my real objective is to get the USB stick to boot in another Hackintosh who's Clover boot I have messed up by setting the wrong options in that system's config.plist.

Next step is to load CLOVER UEFI mode onto this USB stick. I downloaded the Clover package as you kindly pointed out from:

Clover Builds

I got the Clover_v2.4k_r4411-UEFI.pkg. I ran it careful to install it to the named USB 'USB-HS-5a' location. There are NO other options on the install. It DOES not create a second MS-DOS partition. This is what a terminal command line
'diskutil list' command shows for the USB device:

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *8.0 GB disk4
1: Apple_HFS USB-HS-5a 8.0 GB disk4s1

I do see a new /EFI folder on that device. But there is NO MS-DOS partition containing a /EFI folder.

On the same hackintosh I attempt the F-11 boot menu, find the USB device, attempt a load and it fails. No CLOVER CBM found. Nothing.

I attempted the same USB F-12 on my target ASRock MB hackintosh, for grins, and it doesn't boot there either.

The partition on the USB is a HFS format, so why would I put apfs.efi module in that /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/driver64efi folder.

What am I doing wrong?

tecemac: yes the instructions on page 1, post 1, walk you step by step through the process necessary for making a bootable USB stick that will install High Sierra. Just follow the steps exactly and you should be good to go. The reason you have to install Clover on the USB stick is to make the stick bootable.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that installing Clover on the USB stick makes it bootable. But the two attempts I have made to make it bootable fail. The package installer is not making - as far as I can tell - a bootable MS-DOS UEFI partition on the USB stick.

Sorry to be a pain.

What am I doing wrong?
You are needlessly overcomplicating things :
See Installation Guide

I understand that installing Clover on the USB stick makes it bootable. But the two attempts I have made to make it bootable fail. The package installer is not making - as far as I can tell - a bootable MS-DOS UEFI partition on the USB stick.
The EFI partition is created automatically when you format the drive as GUID, not by the Clover installer.

You are needlessly overcomplicating things :

How?

I'm trying to describe this as exactly as possible so someone can point out my misstep.
Basically I'm following steps:
  1. Create formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled USB (is that a GUID drive?)
  2. Create install media on USB
  3. Load CLOVER
But Disk Util sees only one partition, a HFS partition on the USB. The EFI folder appears, to me, to be on the same partition. The Clover package installer is not seeing another other than a SINGLE USB partition.

Then finally after simply following steps 1, 2, and 3, the USB stick is NOT bootable on the same system that created it.

I had a similar problem using the UNIBEAST installation method a year ago. I can't remember how I worked around it exactly:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...le-usb-installation-disk.239997/#post-1648708
DIskUtil-ScreenShot-USB.png
It has to be a problem with step #1, formatting the USB?

DIskUtil-ScreenShot-USB.png

But Disk Util sees only one partition, a HFS partition on the USB.
In Disk Utility click View then select Show All Devices.

The EFI folder appears, to me, to be on the same partition
Make sure that you install Clover in UEFI mode not Legacy.

In order to see the contents of the EFI partition it must first be mounted - You can use an app such as EFI Mounter.

Last edited:
Here is everything the diskutil list command sees:

iMac:Config-Simple-Boot tony$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *256.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk3 255.9 GB disk0s2
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk1
1: Windows_NTFS EvanSam256 250.1 GB disk1s1
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS WD_Aug2013_1T 999.9 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3 (synthesized):
0: APFS Container Scheme - +255.9 GB disk3
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume SamSSD256 186.0 GB disk3s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 19.4 MB disk3s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 517.8 MB disk3s3
4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk3s4

Here is what EFI Mounter sees:

EFI-Diskmounter.png

There is no EFI partition seen on /dev/disk4

Thanks for the help.

I still think it is the 'erase' option of disk util application that is causing the problem.

Look at my /dev/disk0 disk. It sees it is a GUID partition scheme. That's not what is on the USB device.

TOP-USB-Media-Screen Shot.png

USB-bottom-screen-shot.png

PICNIC

It should look like this :
/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *7.8 GB disk2
2: Apple_HFS USB 7.5 GB disk2s2

It should look like this :
/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *7.8 GB disk2
2: Apple_HFS USB 7.5 GB disk2s2

Yes. I agree it should look like that. But it doesn't. So why?

And I agree it's caused by me. What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?
You are failing to format the USB flash drive correctly.

Open Disk Utility.

Select the top level of your USB drive - Named HP v125w Media.
Then click Erase.
Name - USB or whatever you like.
Format - Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
Scheme - GUID Partition Map.

Click Erase.

Last edited:
Back