Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS High Sierra Public Beta Installation USB

how to access High Sierra EFI partition? seems like I am unable to access it

"20. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and add your ethernet kext"

What is meant with "your ethernet kext"? The only kext i can find in the download section is ALXEthernet, is this the one i need?

Who knows ?
Do you know how I can find out which kext i need for ethernet?
Btw if primary system means the computer i am using most that would be a mac mini

For anyone having trouble writing to the usb drive getting an error about the installer I had the same issue (19mb installer file) updating to 10.12.6 fixed it for me, as I was on 10.12.3

Please add this warning to the general instructions:

I have confirmed on my MacBook Pro and my Hack. The drive that you want to install PB5 must be pre-formatted to Apple format. If you try to use an unformatted disk, it will not show as an available disk. If you try to use a recycled disk with a non-Apple format, it will show, but once you try to format to Apple it will error and remain in an unmountable state.

Even after post installation this is true. Basically, Disk Utility does not work unless the drive is already formatted to an Apple format. Fortunately, USB drives in exFAT for FAT32 work fine unless you try to re-format those to Apple.

I wasted so much time wondering why my brand new EVO NVME drive wouldn't show up for PB5 installation. I assumed this was due to hardware incompatibility but installing and using PB5 on my MacBook Pro finally solved the mystery. I think most folks use recycled Apple drives for PB5 so that should be fine as those are already formatted for Apple.

Edit - PB6 has same issues.

Last edited:
Please add this warning to the general instructions:

I have confirmed on my MacBook Pro and my Hack. The drive that you want to install PB5 must be pre-formatted to Apple format. If you try to use an unformatted disk, it will not show as an available disk. If you try to use a recycled disk with a non-Apple format, it will show, but once you try to format to Apple it will error and remain in an unmountable state.

Even after post installation this is true. Basically, Disk Utility does not work unless the drive is already formatted to an Apple format. Fortunately, USB drives in exFAT for FAT32 work fine unless you try to re-format those to Apple.

I wasted so much time wondering why my brand new EVO NVME drive wouldn't show up for PB5 installation. I assumed this was due to hardware incompatibility but installing and using PB5 on my MacBook Pro finally solved the mystery. I think most folks use recycled Apple drives for PB5 so that should be fine as those are already formatted for Apple.

Edit - PB6 has same issues.

I had no problems with my Samsung Evo NVME, only that I need to delete the old partitions via the terminal. but also deleting the drive at the disk utility worked for me.

I had no problems with my Samsung Evo NVME, only that I need to delete the old partitions via the terminal. but also deleting the drive at the disk utility worked for me.

I didn't think about terminal so that may work. However, as noted, if the drive has a prior Apple formatted partition, yes Drive Manger works fine. However a brand new drive does not show up and Windows formatted drive and partition show up, but can't delete partitions or mount. Perhaps terminal commands could solve that but I'm personally not familiar with terminal commands.

I am not able to boot to the installer I followed the instructions. I even try adding a 13.xx in the EFI folder added the kexts to that folder and " other " and I am still not able to boot. Any suggestions on boot flag or anything?

Back