Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS High Sierra Public Beta Installation USB

Start a new support thread in High Sierra Desktop Support
Tnx, but I decided to buy MacBook. Every year it is bigger pain in the a** to make hackintosh. I thought it will be easier as the new versions come, and I'm building hackintoshes since 10.6. So the only safe and sure way to use and update regulary MacOS is to use it on Mac machines :)

Motherboard
Gigabyte H170N-Wifi
CPU
Graphics
RX Vega 64
I don't get an installer in my Applications folder no matter what I do. I can find the whole downloaded package in /Library/Updates, but that doesn't include the package wrapper either. Anyone has any idea how to fix this for 10.13.4 b1? Would like to update to fix my Vega 64 fan issue.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 ULTRA
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
You able to play itunes HDCP files with the Vega?

Motherboard
ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 950 2 GB
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
This thread doesn't make sense to me. Probably too dumb to figure it out.

Is the concept here to make a bootable USB, which is bootable by UEFI mode from an Intel Desktop motherboard? Because it is not working for me.

I downloaded the latest Install Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5 edition from the Apple Store. I created a new single partition USB stick using Disk Utils from another Hackingtosh at 10.13.4 (Clover boot), then
Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition
11. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
12. Type the following, enter password and hit enter. This command completely erases the USB, then creates native installer media from the Install High Sierra Beta Application.
This created a Mac OS bootable installation disk.

But then the instructions direct us to install CLOVER on the same USB stick.

But doesn't the Clover have to go into a MS-DOS formatted partition on the USB stick. Doesn't the UEFI bios of my motherboard expect to see the UEFI bootloader in such a partition of the USB stick? Because I see CLOVER installed on the same Journaled partition in the EFI folder. Surely this is wrong

Cause I can't get this USB stick to boot from the F11 (or F12) boot choice of the BIOS. It just doesn't see the USB stick.

What am I doing wrong or missing?

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p300 ⌘
CPU
Intel i7-4790 3.6 GHz
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
What am I doing wrong or missing?
If you install Clover in UEFI mode it installs to the /EFI/ folder on the EFI partition.
If you install Clover in Legacy mode it installs to the /EFI/ folder on the system disk.

Motherboard
ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 950 2 GB
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
If you install Clover in UEFI mode it installs to the /EFI/ folder on the EFI partition.
Thanks. I will make sure that I do I get the correct Clover install option next.

I installed Clover from Multibeast 10.3. Is that wrong? Do I have to install directly from the sourceforg installer? - In order to get it into its own EFI partition?

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p300 ⌘
CPU
Intel i7-4790 3.6 GHz
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks. I will make sure that I do I get the correct Clover install option next.

I installed Clover from Multibeast 10.3. Is that wrong? Do I have to install directly from the sourceforg installer? - In order to get it into its own EFI partition?
Clover Builds

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (BIOS F22g)
CPU
Intel i7 6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530
tecemac: yes the instructions on page 1, post 1, walk you step by step through the process necessary for making a bootable USB stick that will install High Sierra. Just follow the steps exactly and you should be good to go. The reason you have to install Clover on the USB stick is to make the stick bootable.

Motherboard
ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 950 2 GB
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I am starting with the Disk Util application of 10.13.4, on a Hackintosh. In the Disk Util tool one ONLY gets a choice on the USB stick of 'erase', not the partition choice. Moving forward using the erase option I created a single partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition on the USB.

I used the createmedia command to create a bootable (if MAC OS HW) USB stick.

Before I install CLOVER on the USB (i.e. step 2 of post #1), I renamed it 'USB-HS-5a' for my own convenience. Then on the same hackintosh I restarted into the local CLOVER boot loader from my SSD. There I see a new option to boot from the USB device called 'USB-HS-5a' which I did, and succeeded to get into the installer. I cancelled out at that point because my real objective is to get the USB stick to boot in another Hackintosh who's Clover boot I have messed up by setting the wrong options in that system's config.plist.

Next step is to load CLOVER UEFI mode onto this USB stick. I downloaded the Clover package as you kindly pointed out from:

Clover Builds

I got the Clover_v2.4k_r4411-UEFI.pkg. I ran it careful to install it to the named USB 'USB-HS-5a' location. There are NO other options on the install. It DOES not create a second MS-DOS partition. This is what a terminal command line
'diskutil list' command shows for the USB device:

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *8.0 GB disk4
1: Apple_HFS USB-HS-5a 8.0 GB disk4s1

I do see a new /EFI folder on that device. But there is NO MS-DOS partition containing a /EFI folder.

On the same hackintosh I attempt the F-11 boot menu, find the USB device, attempt a load and it fails. No CLOVER CBM found. Nothing.

I attempted the same USB F-12 on my target ASRock MB hackintosh, for grins, and it doesn't boot there either.

The partition on the USB is a HFS format, so why would I put apfs.efi module in that /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/driver64efi folder.

What am I doing wrong?

tecemac: yes the instructions on page 1, post 1, walk you step by step through the process necessary for making a bootable USB stick that will install High Sierra. Just follow the steps exactly and you should be good to go. The reason you have to install Clover on the USB stick is to make the stick bootable.
Thanks for the reply. I understand that installing Clover on the USB stick makes it bootable. But the two attempts I have made to make it bootable fail. The package installer is not making - as far as I can tell - a bootable MS-DOS UEFI partition on the USB stick.

Sorry to be a pain.