Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS Catalina Public Beta Installation USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I created a bootable USB using this method, but the EFI folder is empty. What should I do?

Also, can I simply copy the existing EFI folder on my current Mojave installation to the EFI of the installer USB and proceed with installation?

Ok, I created a bootable USB using this method, but the EFI folder is empty. What should I do?

Also, can i simply copy the existing EFI folder on my current Mojave installation to the EFI of the installer USB and proceed with installation?
Did you install Clover to the USB stick?

Warning, anyone using a Wacom tablet there are no drivers for Catalina ...

There are no drivers for that card. Not supported. Try a GT 710 instead.
Does the GT 710, generally, actually work? Micro Center has them on sale very inexpensively. If they work, I'd buy one in a second. Please let us know. Thanks.

Does the GT 710, generally, actually work? Micro Center has them on sale very inexpensively. If they work, I'd buy one in a second. Please let us know. Thanks.
Yes 1000s of people have used them with Mojave for almost a year now. Get one with the reference layout of one each HDMI, VGA and DVI ports and it will work. Connect your monitor to HDMI or DVI-D but not VGA. The drivers are already in macOS Mojave and Catalina so there's none you need to install.

Last edited:
is it normal that after the installation there are 2 partitions created?

@tabarus,

Yes, MacOS Catalina creates a new read only APFS volume that OS lives in while your data lives in a read/write volume. The OS hides this segregation in the file system so it looks like one big volume but both will show up in disk utility.

Cheers
Jay

@tabarus,

Yes, MacOS Catalina creates a new read only APFS volume that OS lives in while your data lives in a read/write volume. The OS hides this segregation in the file system so it looks like one big volume but both will show up in disk utility.

Cheers
Jay
Thank you very much for clearance!

Yes 1000s of people use them with Mojave for almost a year now. Get one with the reference layout of one each HDMI, VGA and DVI ports and it will work. Connect your monitor to HDMI or DVI-D but not VGA. The drivers are already in macOS Mojave and Catalina so there's none you need to install.

View attachment 415578

Thank you so very much! You've saved my Desktop Hackintosh so that it can survive for another day .... I've been holding my breath on that one, trying very hard not to have to upgrade my rig yet .... Thanks again!

Thank you so very much! You've saved my Desktop Hackintosh so that it can survive for another day .... I've been holding my breath on that one, trying very hard not to have to upgrade my rig yet .... Thanks again!

Why not use AMD Radeon?
AMD Radeon graphic cards are supported native by Apple.
I think it's not good idea to buy GT 710 only for hackintosh.
If you have already have GT 710, that's okay, but not buy an outdated nVidia graphic card.
If you should buy a graphic card, buy a AMD Radeon graphic card like RX 570 and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back