Contribute
Register

How to create a bootable Windows 10 USB in OS X using Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please help me with my problem on the previous page? Maybe @Stork ?
I'm stuck with a non working usb that My Macbook can't read anymore
try another usb stick

try another usb stick
thanks but that's not solving the problem that my brand new USB stick isn't usable anymore. I wanted to use it just for the win install and then take it as my daily stick for work because of the very nice form factor but right now I neither can install win nor reformat the stick and reformatting the stick is my main goal here, that's why I'm asking.
AND I want to warn people that following the guide of the opener can bring you into such a situation where I am right now.

Got it back to life!
Here is what I did:
open terminal and enter

diskutil eraseVolume HFS+ USB disk2​

"USB" is just the name, you can replace it with anything you like or you want your formatted thumb drive to be named. I called it USB for example.
"disk2" refers to the position in the device tree. To check the position of your faulty thumb drive go to diskutility app an click on your thumb drive and look at "device" in my case it said "disk2".

hit the enter key and it shows:

Unmounting disk

Erasing

Initialized /dev/rdisk2 as a 29 GB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume

Mounting disk

Finished erase on disk2 USB
enjoy your perfectly working thumb drive ;)

Last edited:
thanks but that's not solving the problem that my brand new USB stick isn't usable anymore. I wanted to use it just for the win install and then take it as my daily stick for work because of the very nice form factor but right now I neither can install win nor reformat the stick and reformatting the stick is my main goal here, that's why I'm asking.
AND I want to warn people that following the guide of the opener can bring you into such a situation where I am right now.

Got it back to life!
Here is what I did:
open terminal and enter

diskutil eraseVolume HFS+ USB disk2​

"USB" is just the name, you can replace it with anything you like or you want your formatted thumb drive to be named. I called it USB for example.
"disk2" refers to the position in the device tree. To check the position of your faulty thumb drive go to diskutility app an click on your thumb drive and look at "device" in my case it said "disk2".

hit the enter key and it shows:

Unmounting disk

Erasing

Initialized /dev/rdisk2 as a 29 GB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume

Mounting disk

Finished erase on disk2 USB
enjoy your perfectly working thumb drive ;)
well done :)

there is also the option in windows using diskpart in the command prompt:

diskpart

list disk

select disk #

clean

(where # is the disk number)

I use 512, yes, it's slower, but reliable.
Using /dev/disk? really is slow, being buffered devices. Using the /dev/rdisk? devices on BSD/macOS (r for 'raw' block-aligned IO) speeds these kind of things up.
Code:
$ ls /dev/rdisk*
Code:
/dev/rdisk0
/dev/rdisk0s1
/dev/rdisk0s9
/dev/rdisk1
/dev/rdisk1s1
/dev/rdisk1s2
/dev/rdisk1s3
/dev/rdisk2
/dev/rdisk2s1
/dev/rdisk2s9

So using MultiBeast I fixed my USB drivers so that my USB is recognized as external instead of internal.
That's what's was holding me up.

However, in trying to format the separate ssd for windows 10 I deleted the uefi partition on my OS X
SSD.
Now my rig is no longer booting into clover

What can I do ?

So using MultiBeast I fixed my USB drivers so that my USB is recognized as external instead of internal.
That's what's was holding me up.

However, in trying to format the separate ssd for windows 10 I deleted the uefi partition on my OS X
SSD.
Now my rig is no longer booting into clover

What can I do ?
boot from your usb installer, proceed to macOS and then re install clover to the hard drive?

No luck with the method described in post #1. I tried a 16 GB USB2 stick and a 8 GB USB3 one. I can set the stick as the boot volume in the BIOS, but when I restart I get the white on black text saying it misses a bootable drive.
That's with the current Windows 10 Home on that stick and a Gigabyte H270N-Wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back