Contribute
Register

How to create a bootable Windows 10 USB in OS X using Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next I tried to format the USB drive as ExFAT and just copying the files over, but the drive still doesn't show up as a boot option.

Without access to Windows this is probably your best option. Assuming you're installing in UEFI mode on the system (GA-H97-D3H) in your profile you'll need to add an EXFAT file system driver to your Clover or OpenCore drivers folder for the (Clover or OpenCore) boot menu to show the Windows 10 USB drive. The native firmware almost certainly can't see anything other than FAT12/16/32 and you'll need to start the setup from the boot menu.Try using the Clover or OpenCore Configurator app to download the driver.

Also, here is another option: Windows 10 Install USB Creation - Older Hacks and Newer Hacks

Last edited:
Nice, I got it working using the Homebrew and wimlib method in your link. Thanks.

Having a hard time with this myself.

mobo: GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK

I keep running up against this error:
2020-08-16 16.54.13.jpg

I tried splitting the .wim using wimlib. CSM Support is enabled in BIOS.

Any advice?

Any advice?

A quick suggestion, make sure if you're installing on a separate disk, as recommended, that you disconnect any others from the system. Otherwise the Windows installation will likely fail.

Having a hard time with this myself.

mobo: GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK

I keep running up against this error:
View attachment 484529

I tried splitting the .wim using wimlib. CSM Support is enabled in BIOS.

Any advice?

I've just had this battle too but without success. All other drives were disconnected with the USB boot (created on both Catalina and High Sierra). I can only assume I've not made the USB installer correctly from macos. Did you have any luck in the end?

This procedure does not produce a bootable WIN10 USB stick.

This procedure does not produce a bootable WIN10 USB stick.

Hi there.

First up, please complete your hardware Profile so others wanting to help can check what hardware you have. It's also part of the Site Rules. Motherboard brand and type, CPU brand and model, GPU model etc. :thumbup:

Next, explain where the process went wrong and then maybe someone will offer advice.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back