Contribute
Register

How to create a bootable Windows 10 USB in OS X using Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the method I used to create a Windows 10 USB.

I've tried this multiple times in multiple formats and I continually get the message that "There is no USB drive connected to the system".

Code:
sudo dd if=/Volumes/Hackintosh\ HD/El\ Capitan\ Home/[COLOR=#0000FF]yourusername[/COLOR]/Desktop/Win10_English_x64.iso

after that add a space (If its not already there) and type
Code:
of=/dev/disk[B]5[/B] bs=1m
This is what the final command should look like:
Code:
sudo dd if=/Volumes/Hackintosh\ HD/El\ Capitan\ Home/[COLOR=#0000FF]yourusername[/COLOR]/Desktop/Win10_English_x64.iso of=/dev/disk[B]5[/B] bs=1m
Next press enter, its going to ask for your password, enter your password and hit enter. This will start the process​

You should use /dev/rdisk instead of /dev/disk. rdisk is the raw device and will result in much faster writes, as opposed to disk which is buffered.

Thank God. Finally someone on the web who knows what they're talking about. This worked for me, where multiple other instructions failed. Thank you Tony.

mmmm tried did not work.... windows can not boot... bios not seems to find a good refi boot on the subdrive.
Tried BootCamp assisent to make drive but for a reason my Mac is not supported..... ? Use SMBIOS of MacPro6,1

mmmm tried did not work.... windows can not boot... bios not seems to find a good refi boot on the subdrive.
Tried BootCamp assisent to make drive but for a reason my Mac is not supported..... ? Use SMBIOS of MacPro6,1
Bootcamp does work with PC-Macs. Install Windows with Windows install media only without any use of Mac OS. In fact, recommend disconnect Mac OS drive or disable the port it is attached to while installing Windows.

Bootcamp does work with PC-Macs. Install Windows with Windows install media only without any use of Mac OS. In fact, recommend disconnect Mac OS drive or disable the port it is attached to while installing Windows.
Funny because before i used is also on my hackintoshes (until 10.13)

Hello I did as the guide said and I checked the usb after and it has the all files but when I try to boot from it just see black screen. with an _ ticking please help

I made a new USB just formatting it into fat and opened iso image and did copy paste the files into the USB

when I try to boot from it I get this error BLInitializeLibrary Failed...

Hey sorry this is an old thread, I'm pretty new to this. I just followed these steps and all seemed to work well, same output after dd in terminal. But when I reinsert the usb it doesn't come up in finder so I can't check if it all went ok. I am guessing that is has something to do with the way it is formatted. Did you open it another way? I am on a MBP 2011 - High Sierra 10.13.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back