Contribute
Register

How to create a bootable Windows 10 USB in OS X using Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^
Done everything in the opening post and it results in a drive that isn't bootable.
I haven't tried your suggestion yet, instead using parralels and wintoUSB.
I'll see if this works..

I was finally able to create a bootable Windows USB installation disk using a Mac.

Here's how I installed Windows on a second SSD from start to finish:

1.Format the eventual Windows SSD drive using Disk Utility as a Journaled/GUID drive so there's an EFI volume in place for booting with Clover.
2. Open Bootcamp Assistant on the Mac and use it's tool to copy the Windows 64-bit ISO to the USB drive.
3. Unplug the OS X SSD from my Hackintosh, just to make sure I don't wipe it by mistake
4. Boot the Hackintosh PC from the new Windows USB drive — it boots!
5. Use the Windows installer tool to delete the non-EFI volumes of the drive I want to install to.
6. Install Windows on the empty (non-EFI) volume
7. Done!

When I logged into Windows for the first time, it said that the Bootcamp Assistant helpers were not valid for this machine, but I haven't seen that error again, and I'm now able to boot to the Clover startup screen and from there choose to boot into Mac (default) or Windows/NTFS.

Hope this helps somebody out!

This worked for me without a problem. Thanks for the straightforward explanation illologist!

The only oddities I have are that while booted in windows my OS X HDD will sometimes spin up for a while (randomly). Also there is an extra option in the clover screen to choose but does not boot to anything other than a black screen(so obviously I ignore that choice).

I think there is 1 command that's missing here

You are right!
Original post from n3oNLit3 does not work and should be edited or removed.

Anyway, the best place for this kind of information is StackOverflow and friends.
Here the good answer: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/103874/creating-a-bootable-usb-of-windows-8-1-on-os-x

With or without "hdiutil convert" command line, it did not work for me.
I've tried with 2 different USB keys, 2 different computers and verified everything was OK inside the BIOS of both PC.

Instead I've used Rufus: https://rufus.akeo.ie/ under Windows and it did create a bootable Windows 10 USB key.
I've even use "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" => no problem
And Windows 10 tells me that "BIOS Mode" is UEFI: http://superuser.com/a/946884/505295

Last edited:
Please remove the in the unmount directions. It was confusing and did not work.

I know that reviving older topics is often not really appreciated but i just wanted to give a optimisation hint. Instead of using /dev/disk# in the dd command, you can just use /dev/rdisk which results in much faster transfer times. Maybe the thread creator can edit this topic.

So I followed the guide in the main post and now i have usb that I can't format anymore.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-15 um 20.10.28.png

Not even with the terminal "eraseDisk" it seems to work:
"Unable to begin erase operation: The target disk is too small for this operation (-69771)"

For me this method was no good. Instead, format FAT, MBR, use boot camp assistant was perfect.

Can someone please help me with my problem on the previous page? Maybe @Stork ?
I'm stuck with a non working usb that My Macbook can't read anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back