Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

SaturnUnleashed said:
I just got the 4321 card and it doesn't work either D: The led doesn't turn on and it doesn't show up in the network settings. What do I do, I don't understand why it wouldn't work? Could it be because I don't have it screwed in? Does that really matter? The screws that came with it don't fit.

The LED should show, although some are quite tiny, dim and recessed, too.
If you're unable to fasten the wifi card into the adapter, it may matter, because the mini PCIe card must be seated stably to assure conductivity. After getting it into the pins, does it have an outer protective shroud that can be set, with just the antenna leads protruding?
Are the antennas set securely to their mounts on the 4321?

What about the PICe adapter being seated in the mobo slot? Do you have it in a 1x or 16x slot? Is that firmly seated, and were you able to apply the adapter screw to the case for stability?
I've seen a lot of 1x cards sit a little cockeyed in a 16x slot. In some cases to gain good contact in the slot pins, the cockeyed angle of the adapter relative to the back of the case must be allowed, and then the case screw cannot be used.

alpha90 said:
SaturnUnleashed said:
I just got the 4321 card and it doesn't work either D: The led doesn't turn on and it doesn't show up in the network settings. What do I do, I don't understand why it wouldn't work? Could it be because I don't have it screwed in? Does that really matter? The screws that came with it don't fit.

The LED should show, although some are quite tiny, dim and recessed, too.
If you're unable to fasten the wifi card into the adapter, it may matter, because the mini PCIe card must be seated stably to assure conductivity. After getting it into the pins, does it have an outer protective shroud that can be set, with just the antenna leads protruding?
Are the antennas set securely to their mounts on the 4321?

What about the PICe adapter being seated in the mobo slot? Do you have it in a 1x or 16x slot? Is that firmly seated, and were you able to apply the adapter screw to the case for stability?
I've seen a lot of 1x cards sit a little cockeyed in a 16x slot. In some cases to gain good contact in the slot pins, the cockeyed angle of the adapter relative to the back of the case must be allowed, and then the case screw cannot be used.
I've tried everything. I've disconnected and reconnected. used all possible slots. and still nothing. I found one screw lying around and it's secure. :banghead:

Here's a picture of it in case this helps:
img9021yk.jpg

I know when i assembled mine, i got my adapter from ebay, and it didnt quite sit in the expansion slot flush. If i tried to seat the card in the slot, it wasnt quite lined up with the hole for the screw. So i actually had to bend the metal forward to secure it. But make sure the card is in firmly. Hope this helps, or gives you something else to try. I'll try to remember to wake up and post a picture of my card.

Thank you for this I will be doing this when I get around to building my customac.

Are your airport card showing up in network utility as en0 or en1? Cause mine says en0 and my Mac Appstore is not working. I have tried all of the post can't fix it though.

Please help!!!! :banghead:

why do you need so much the app store? :idea:

I fixed all of my problems!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

applerocks123 said:

Please tell us what did you do to achieve success, what was the key?

alpha90 said:
applerocks123 said:

Please tell us what did you do to achieve success, what was the key?

I added <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key><string>Yes</string> and <key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>0</string> to org.chameleon.Boot.plist. In PcirootUID i changed the 1 to 0 because i am using a gigabyte motherboard.

Hope it helps!!

i givveee uuupppp, theres no converter sold here (indonesia), i have atheros AR5BXB72 (from apple branded), and I'm stuck with converter, i can't buy from ebay, so instead using an ebay, i found this converter,

38-78-thickbox.jpg

RouterBOARD 11E miniPCI-e to PCI-e Adapter for using four miniPCIe cards inside regular PC with PCI-e slots. Doesn't require any drivers. Note that this adapter doesn't support 3G modems, and doesn't have a SIM slot. For wireless cards only.

Do you think i can use that adapter ?

Back