Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

Has anybody used this card?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1300Mbps-FV-...831420?hash=item3d27fbff7c:g:6EUAAOSwMVdYHDGD

how good is your performance if you did?

was it as natively supported as it claims to be ?

The BCM94360CD is a genuine Apple part used in many Macintosh models, so OS X contains the driver to run natively the 802.11ac wifi that the card features. I have an equivalent PCIe card with the BCM94360CD in our CustoMac and routinely achieve a max 1,300 mbps steady connection, sometimes dropping to 1,083 mbps.

Both these are faster than cabled 1 gbps ethernet!

(I should mention that our machine is located just 15 ft from the router; however, I also have an actual MacBook Pro with the BCM94360CD, and it connects at consistent 800 mbps through two walls at 50' away. The BCM94360CD is a robust Broadcom card.)

I use BlueTooth sparingly on the CustoMac system, but it works fine for what I do. So I am not as sure about full support for all BT features.

IMO, that's a good price for the complete package you'll need, including the proper wifi antennas (tuned to support both 5.0 GHz & 2.4 GHz frequencies), antenna cables, and the BT cable that connects to your system board. When possible it's best to get a kit like this, because all the pieces are included and match. The antenna connectors on the BCM94360CD card are tiny, and you want cables that the vendor has already determined properly attach.
eBay seller is top rated, too, and it's not easy to reach 99% positive feedback on that many orders. I live in SoCal and order a lot of electronic stuff from Chinese distributors. Most items reach me in just 9-11 days after ordering.

The BCM94360CD is a genuine Apple part used in many Macintosh models, so OS X contains the driver to run natively the 802.11ac wifi that the card features. I have an equivalent PCIe card with the BCM94360CD in our CustoMac and routinely achieve a max 1,300 mbps steady connection, sometimes dropping to 1,083 mbps.

Both these are faster than cabled 1 gbps ethernet!

(I should mention that our machine is located just 15 ft from the router; however, I also have an actual MacBook Pro with the BCM94360CD, and it connects at consistent 800 mbps through two walls at 50' away. The BCM94360CD is a robust Broadcom card.)

I use BlueTooth sparingly on the CustoMac system, but it works fine for what I do. So I am not as sure about full support for all BT features.

IMO, that's a good price for the complete package you'll need, including the proper wifi antennas (tuned to support both 5.0 GHz & 2.4 GHz frequencies), antenna cables, and the BT cable that connects to your system board. When possible it's best to get a kit like this, because all the pieces are included and match. The antenna connectors on the BCM94360CD card are tiny, and you want cables that the vendor has already determined properly attach.
eBay seller is top rated, too, and it's not easy to reach 99% positive feedback on that many orders. I live in SoCal and order a lot of electronic stuff from Chinese distributors. Most items reach me in just 9-11 days after ordering.

thanks for your input ! I'll buy one asap so it comes when I'm about to finish my build

The price has been raised by BHINER which is English language purchasing agent.
Original seller is popular Chinese only website TAOBAO which is still selling it for 299 Yuan which is $49.
Search for different TAOBAO purchasing agent. There are dozens of them.

Superbuy is an alternative to BHINER which offers 7/24 online chat customer service, supports PayPal payment and charges 0 service fee.

Back