Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dual boot system with windows and macos (windows for the games and mac for productivity) I was using regular sata SolidState "2 oneTB crucial mx500" Desided to update it to M.2, ordered 2 Sabrent 2TB ROCKET NVMe PCIe M.2 2280, but I only got one first and the other is back-ordered. So idesided to intall the first one on the windows side because it easier. I finish all the updates on the windows side but when I go to macos now I get an HID:legasyShim2 and it stops the booting process. If I take out the windows M.2 drive it will boot fine. I check all the instruction but still I cannot find if theres a setting that i'm missing for this. Any Opinions?

Did you perform an UEFI install of windows and did you remove all macOS drives during the Windows installation as recommended?

If not, happy bug fixing. ;)

Hello,

I first want to thank lot @kgp and all contributors of this great and very complete guide.

I installed a new machine for work using this guide (not the Mojave one because I already owned a nVidia GTX 1080), with a setup very close to the one mentioned in first post (Asus Prime X299 Deluxe BIOS 1503). The main differences being that I use a 7820x processor, the wifi card is also BCM94360CD but installed in the M.2 slot of motherboard instead of original Wifi/Bluetooth card (had to cut the metal container but it works!).

Everything works as expected, except Thunderbolt.

-I'm on BIOS 1503. I carefully followed BIOS setup of sections B.1) and E.5). I use now GC-Titan Ridge Card (Rev 1.0).
-The card and peripherals work normally and are activated under Windows 10 (with Hotplug)
-I followed the PCI implementation explanations and the card is installed in same slot as original guide setup (Slot-4). -I actually get the 2 conditions mentioned in section E.9.2.13) (NHI and USB-C drivers showing in System Report>PCI and ioregistryexplorer showing exactly same ACPI table as for guide.

But I still don't get Hotplug Functionality. And worse, all my peripherals need to be activated under Windows 10 and then reboot to macOS to be used. For example if I disconnect a thunderbolt peripheral, it cannot be connected again, even upon macOS reboot. I need to reboot again to Windows and then to macOS with peripheral keeping attached.
-Connecting or disconnecting THB_C cable doesn't change anything apparently.
-I tried with 4 Thunderbolt Peripherals (A Lacie Rugged TB2 hard Drive, A Lacie Big Disk Thunderbolt 3 Drive, A Blackmagic Thunderbolt to SDI adapter, and a TB2 card reader). All have the same behaviors.
-Same for both thunderbolt ports on the card.
-I tried to move the card to PCIe Slot-3 (by adapting the SSDTs of course for proper PCI implementation) with same results.
-USB 3 peripherals over Thunderbolt 3 are working correctly.

-To be exhaustive I first tried with Asus Thunderbolt EX3 daughter card. With this card I did get thunderbolt working and hot plug functionality but only with THB_C disconnected. But as I will be using this machine also with Windows 10 (which require THB_C connected) and I prefer to have 2 Thunderbolt ports I moved to GC-TitanRidge card with good hope that it would work. But right I don't understand what's going on with my setup. It should be very similar to the guide setup..

-The only workaround I found in order to have at least some peripherals working without booting to Windows is to activate Thunderbolt Boot Support on BIOS. But this doesn't solve Hotplug. And with some hard drives (for example my Lacie Big Disk Thunderbolt 3), the system is not able to reach Clover (as if the system is scanning forever EFI entries of external drives to find boot options).

Any help please? Thanks a lot!

Attached are screen captures of PCI System Report and ioregistryexplorer as well as a full gen-debug report.

Attachments

• debug_29702.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 112
  • Asus_PX299D_Ioreg-Screen1.png
    Asus_PX299D_Ioreg-Screen1.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Asus_PX299D_Ioreg-Screen2.png
    Asus_PX299D_Ioreg-Screen2.png
    269 KB · Views: 153
  • Asus_PX299D_PCI-Screen.png
    Asus_PX299D_PCI-Screen.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 165
Ok forget it I just solved the problem myself.

Apparently the BIOS Thunderbolt Security Level was set to SL0-No Security as expected but the card was acting as if SL1-User Authorization was selected. So I changed it once and back to SL0 and now the card is working correctly with HotPlug!

My Only remaining issue is that if I mount a drive on macOS, when I reboot the system stucks at ASUS Splash screen logo and I need to disconnect the drive to pass through. I still think the system is scanning for boot entries but I don't know why and why it takes so long. I disabled the Thunderbolt Boot Support option of course.

Ok forget it I just solved the problem myself.

Apparently the BIOS Thunderbolt Security Level was set to SL0-No Security as expected but the card was acting as if SL1-User Authorization was selected. So I changed it once and back to SL0 and now the card is working correctly with HotPlug!

My Only remaining issue is that if I mount a drive on macOS, when I reboot the system stucks at ASUS Splash screen logo and I need to disconnect the drive to pass through. I still think the system is scanning for boot entries but I don't know why and why it takes so long. I disabled the Thunderbolt Boot Support option of course.

The latter only happened in my case and the X299 Deluxe after any unsuccessful system wake with TB devices connected during sleep.

Hi,

i was wondering if it is safe to turn on FileVault on the boot drive?
The respective drivers are installed via Clover Configurator.

Can anyone please help me get my Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti graphics card working with acceleration and cuda cores?

My Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti graphics card is working but it's not accelerated. I do not understand the instruction on the first page of this thread. I have tried to follow different videos on YouTube that explain how to install the Nvidia drivers on a Hackintosh but one of the tutorials says to remove the graphics card before installing the web drivers. I cannot do this because the 1080 Ti is my only graphics card.

Other instructions that I have found explain how to install the Nvidia driver using the Clover Configurator...but they are showing an older version that does not match the Clover Configurator that I have. Since this is my first Hackintosh I do not have enough familiarity with using the older Clover Configurator to translate these instruction to the new version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
@ jgaltone: you're aware that Mojave does not have any nVidia drivers available for the 1080Ti?
High Sierra is the latest macOS version with proper drivers (available for download) for that card.

@ jgaltone: you're aware that Mojave does not have any nVidia drivers available for the 1080Ti?
High Sierra is the latest macOS version with proper drivers (available for download) for that card.
Yes, I am running High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back