Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No native support but some success with the VII working with graphics acceleration in 10.14.4 beta with work arounds. Still wondering if anyone has info on AML file folder/directory locations.

Link to X299 SSDT Github repository is part of the guide in the originating post of this thread. Anyway once more here: https://github.com/KGP/X299-System-SSDTs

Link to X299 SSDT Github repository is part of the guide in the originating post of this thread. Anyway once more here: https://github.com/KGP/X299-System-SSDTs
Thanks. Once I read through the readme and did a few searches I realized the source of my confusion. Chimera/Chameleon and Clover use different folders. So for Clover, AMLs are dropped into

/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/

per your guide “Any DSDT ACPI replacement in the config.plist is usually implemented under “DSDT” and “Patches” in Section “ACPI” of Clover Configurator” and I confirmed this in the newbie chart I found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clover-basics-and-switching-advice.171680/
I will try this and see if they show up in the PCI section of the System Report (as would be expected).

1C0A6870-4231-48E9-952F-1095F81ACFD0.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. Once I read through the readme and did a few searches I realized the source of my confusion. Chimera/Chameleon and Clover use different folders. So for Clover, AMLs are dropped into

/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/

per your guide “Any DSDT ACPI replacement in the config.plist is usually implemented under “DSDT” and “Patches” in Section “ACPI” of Clover Configurator” and I confirmed this in the newbie chart I found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clover-basics-and-switching-advice.171680/
I will try this and see if they show up in the PCI section of the System Report (as would be expected).

View attachment 393549

All System SSDTs must be in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/.

Some ACPI replacements are part of the config.plist, remain unchanged and should be enabled in any case. However, implement the correct CPxx -> PRxx replacements in the config.plist for your particular CPU before enabling the latter!

Other ACPI replacements are part of the System SSDTs and might need some adaptation depending on our motherboard and PCIe slot population!

How to properly adapt ACPI patch and ACPI replacements for your motherboard and PCIe slot population is explained in this small guideline.

Clover UEFI boot loader is mandatory in any case.

Good luck, man!

KGP

No native support but some success with the VII working with graphics acceleration in 10.14.4 beta with work arounds. Still wondering if anyone has info on AML file folder/directory locations.
Those "success" scenarios wasn't related to typical scenarios here i.e. single card on x299 platform. Successful Radeon VII with acceleration was with 8700 where You're able to turn on iGPU, or it is second card in system. I've currently this card running on 10.14.4 beta 5 and there is no way to spoof it as Vega 64 - You'll receive blank screen during boot. There is only "Radeon Vega 16 GB" mode without Metal and hardware acceleration (as @kgp described previously) :/

So I finally seem to have a working system with high sierra. But I seem to be missing openCL support?
I have cuda and nvidia drivers installed but running cinebench I only get the option to run a cpu test?

Am I missing something or is openCL support not available with the current drivers?

Those "success" scenarios wasn't related to typical scenarios here i.e. single card on x299 platform. Successful Radeon VII with acceleration was with 8700 where You're able to turn on iGPU, or it is second card in system. I've currently this card running on 10.14.4 beta 5 and there is no way to spoof it as Vega 64 - You'll receive blank screen during boot. There is only "Radeon Vega 16 GB" mode without Metal and hardware acceleration (as @kgp described previously) :/

I have the same result in 10.14.3 (Radeon Vega 16 GB mode, no metal, no acceleration). I see some funny artifacts in some programs (Brave browser will not display pop ups correctly as an example). I am planning on trying a rx-480 in combo with the VII to see if that works until a better solution is found.

So I finally seem to have a working system with high sierra. But I seem to be missing openCL support?
I have cuda and nvidia drivers installed but running cinebench I only get the option to run a cpu test?

Am I missing something or is openCL support not available with the current drivers?

All said in post #12,162 . You also might search for my respective posts in my X299 treads.

Hardware acceleration so far only on iGPU systems after adding VII-ID 0x66AF1002 to AMDRadeonX5000.kext. However, up to my knowledge, even in this case the VII is still implemented as a Vega. On X299, @DSM2 achieved to run the VII incl. hardware acceleration with the help of a Vega.

In any case, I strongly recommend to wait until the VII has been fully and officially implemented under macOS by Apple.

I currently have this Imac Pro High Sierra build on one drive and Windows 10 on another drive. Is it possible to set up a dual boot with Windows 7?

I currently have this Imac Pro High Sierra build on one drive and Windows 10 on another drive. Is it possible to set up a dual boot with Windows 7?

Any UEFI Windows installation will automatically show up in the Clover Boot Loader and you should be able to choose between booting with macOS or Windows such.

(...) running cinebench I only get the option to run a cpu test?
Are you running the "old" Cinebenach R15 or the just released Cinebench R20?
The R20 release doesn't have the GPU test anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back