Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@giftmusic one thing about the sage and iMessage, in my case I didn’t have 10GB enabled on initial install which caused my WiFi card to take en0. If 10g is working and one of your ports isn’t en0, you’ll have to reset your network preferences so next boot it’ll take en0. I assume you copied my kexts after post install? If not, then there might be something wrong with your efi still.

Yeah I ended up starting fresh and making a new usb with all the files and that fixes a number of issues including imessages ect. Thank you again for all your help!

@kgp You're absolutely right, I apologize I jumped the gun too soon! I learned that you cant just slap pci-e cards in any slot and expect things to run properly. I was testing out a few things though for other people here on the forum too @djlild7hina and hopefully people could learn from my mistakes.. :crazy:. After I did a fresh wipe and reinstall using YOUR guide everything was working again including imessages ect. Next I am going to test things like 3 gpus + decklink card ect, so if there is anything you are curious about let me know I would be glad to test. Also I will try to keep the communication here to a minimum. Thanks again guys!

Glad you’re back up and running! Sorry I meant to try those things I requested once you got everything working! But it looks like I’ll need to have a gpu in slot 1 and slot 5 if I use thunderbolt, although the manual states to use 1 and 3. Is your card in slot 5 x16?

As soon the TB-SSDT has been properly adapted/implemented once, you can just switch between different TB devices, as long they populate the same PCIe slot after each physical hardware replacement.. ;)

Good luck,

KGP

That's really good news, especially considering that wall i just hit (see below).

One friendly advise. Don't waste your time with the TBEX 3 and directly opt for a GC-Alpine Ridge or even better for the GC-Titan Ridge. The latter will allow flawless TB and USB-C HotPlug in combination with the Deluxe. There is however a remaining wake problem with TB devices connected during sleep when using the GC-Titan Ridge with the Deluxe. With the GC-Titan Ridge, TB/USB-C HotPlug and full sleep/wake functionally only can be achieved with the ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G for now.

Hope this provides some useful clarifications.

Good luck,

KGP

I got all the issues resolved from my previous post, except TB which is proving to be a headache. For some reason it just decided to work in Windows, but the Audio device that i connect through it (using a TB2 to TB3 adapter) is recognized but not available as an output. Same goes in mac, i can see kext being loaded, but it just wont show up in CoreAudio (Sounds) as an output. Any tips on how to troubleshoot TB thoroughly? In PCI under System Report, i can tell that one entry is the USB interface (it is properly output), and another one is Unknown, while both have the Driver loaded. Thunderbolt section says no driver loaded, but i keep reading that it is normal.

If Windows is giving me similar issues, does this point out to TBEX 3 being the culprit?

Thanks again.

Glad thunderbolt + Titan ridge is working for another sage owner :)
Is your MacBook Titan ridge as well? I don’t remember where I saw this but I’ve read that some older thunderbolt devices aren’t supported with Titan ridge. Do you have an older alpine ridge card to test?

Thanks a lot for your reply!!

I enquired BlackMagic and it seems the BlackMagic UltraSTUDIO 3D doesn't work on a new MacMini as well. They (BlackMagic) referred to it as Legacy and they couldn't even point to the actual driver. There's a chance it's a driver issue, meaning the original driver package from years ago needs to be found to enable the device.

Thunderbolt seem to be working so well that a missing driver would explain the issue.

Since you use the Sage, at what clock are you running the i9 7980XE? Do you remember the voltage?

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for your reply!!

I enquired BlackMagic and it seems the BlackMagic UltraSTUDIO 3D doesn't work on a new MacMini as well. They (BlackMagic) referred to it as Legacy and they couldn't even point to the actual driver. There's a chance it's a driver issue, meaning the original driver package from years ago needs to be found to enable the device.

Thunderbolt seem to be working so well that a missing driver would explain the issue.

Since you use the Sage, at what clock are you running the i9 7980XE? Do you remember the voltage?

Thanks again.

Ah that's a bummer but that's what I figured. Running at stock still so can't comment on that

That's really good news, especially considering that wall i just hit (see below).

I got all the issues resolved from my previous post, except TB which is proving to be a headache. For some reason it just decided to work in Windows, but the Audio device that i connect through it (using a TB2 to TB3 adapter) is recognized but not available as an output. Same goes in mac, i can see kext being loaded, but it just wont show up in CoreAudio (Sounds) as an output. Any tips on how to troubleshoot TB thoroughly? In PCI under System Report, i can tell that one entry is the USB interface (it is properly output), and another one is Unknown, while both have the Driver loaded. Thunderbolt section says no driver loaded, but i keep reading that it is normal.

If Windows is giving me similar issues, does this point out to TBEX 3 being the culprit?

Thanks again.

If you have problems under Windows, unplug/replug the TBEX 3 from/to your motherboard. Anyway, do I have once more to mention that the TBEX 3 is not very reliable and quite problematic in any case? Concerning macOS, people can only help if you upload the respective information requested at beginning of section C.). If the TB-SSDT has been properly adopted to your system, both TB and USB-C PCI drivers must be properly implemented and loaded under "PCI" of Apple's system report and also the TB ACPI table must be correctly implemented in IOREG. How to properly adapt any SSDT to your system and slot configuration is outlined within a small guideline linked in my guide (I guess I posted this sentence already a few 100 times along my threads). I also outlined repetitively that there is no TB local node or TB bus driver implementation possible on Hackintosh systems for now. Finally it is very uncomfortable to answer theoretical questions, as you do not have your own system, apparently only help others and also do not have any system specs in your profile either, which btw. anyway violates the board rules.

Good luck, my friend

KGP

If you have problems under Windows, unplug/replug the TBEX 3 from/to your motherboard. Anyway, do I have once more to mention that the TBEX 3 is not very reliable and quite problematic in any case? Concerning macOS, people can only help if you upload the respective information requested at beginning of section C.). If the TB-SSDT has been properly adopted to your system, both TB and USB-C PCI drivers must be properly implemented and loaded under "PCI" of Apple's system report and also the TB ACPI table must be correctly implemented in IOREG. How to properly adapt any SSDT to your system and slot configuration is outlined within a small guideline linked in my guide (I guess I posted this sentence already a few 100 times along my threads). I also outlined repetitively that there is no TB local node or TB bus driver implementation possible on Hackintosh systems for now. Finally it is very uncomfortable to answer theoretical questions, as you do not have your own system, apparently only help others and also do not have any system specs in your profile either, which btw. anyway violates the board rules.

Good luck, my friend

KGP

A miracle happened and an Alpine Bridge was in reach. Worked straight away out of the box. Was wondering if the UEFI Windows is needed for the Gigabyte TB's, because it didnt really work well under it.

Nevertheless, again thanks a lot for your guide. I will make sure i'll comply with the board rules in the future.

Reactions: kgp
A miracle happened and an Alpine Bridge was in reach. Worked straight away out of the box. Was wondering if the UEFI Windows is needed for the Gigabyte TB's, because it didnt really work well under it.

Nevertheless, again thanks a lot for your guide. I will make sure i'll comply with the board rules in the future.

UEFI Windows is mandatory for a dual boot system with macOS, using UEFI Clover boot loader.

@Junologue,
Just bought the CG Titan Ridge and just face some new problems... sometimes it works, sometimes it crash at boot on "Code 92 DETECT HDD". Thunderbolt hotplug like the THBEX3 works fine on windows but none on High Sierra.
PCI implementation is ok as usual. Bios 1503.
How did you connect your Titan card ? I use the THB_C Header, the PCIe Power connector, but leave the USB header cable as there is no F_USB connector on the X299 DELUXE.
Thanks for your reply.
Best.

Send IOReg-screenshot and screenshot on system information (pci-devices)

I use the header + power as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back