Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I followed your instructions and updated my clover by just using your last 10.13.6 SU EFI-Folder distribution. I also updated the WEG and Lilu kexts. I also changed the integer to 35 since my CPU is a 7980XE. I booted up again and same kernel panic. Also I have been looking for the proper SSDTs and USB kexts for the GA-X299-Designare EX board do you have those? Thank you so much!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.8 MB · Views: 73
  • 20190306_015126.jpg
    20190306_015126.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
Ok I followed your instructions and updated my clover by just using your last 10.13.6 SU EFI-Folder distribution. I also updated the WEG and Lilu kexts. I also changed the integer to 35 since my CPU is a 7980XE. I booted up again and same kernel panic. Also I have been looking for the proper SSDTs and USB kexts for the GA-X299-Designare EX board do you have those? Thank you so much!

Dude... you now do not have any TSCAdjustReset.kext in your EFI-Folder. o_O Once a properly adapted TSCAdjustReset.kext is back in your EFI-Folder, your Designare EX system should boot now with your current EFI-Folder configuration.

Anyway, at first place try to boot with one Nvidia GPU only.

Revise your BIOS settings in case the boot problem still remains. Also try to enable/disable "above 4G decoding".

I do not have any save of SSDTs I might have created for the Designare EX once. You can only investigate both X299 threads, if I attached such SSDTs once.

There are also no XHC USB kexts for the Designare EX yet available in the respective Github library, as no Designare EX user was providing or willing in helping to provide the latter. Thus you will have to come up with new Designare EX XHC USB kexts in any case.

Last but not least, TB HotPlug will also not work with the onboard Alpine Ridge controller of the Designare EX, thus I really don't know what for all these efforts..

You do not want to directly switch to the ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G + GC-Titan Ridge controller?

Well I don't want to spend again my entire day here in this forum and I have to arrange several things in real life for now. Thus, I just hope that you take the correct decision how to proceed with your endeavours in line with your personal skills. In any case, for the ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G + GC-Titan Ridge controller you would have SSDTs and XHC USB kexts already available and also TTR TB would work including TB and USB-C HotPlug and sleep/wake as well as the two onboard 10GB NICs would be fully functional after following my respective guidelines.

As you already returned the Deluxe II and in case you would also sell your Designare EX, the resulting budget should be more than sufficient to go for the ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G + GC-Titan Ridge controller solution, where also @djlild7hina can provide help and support.

Last edited:
Dude... you now do not have any TSCAdjustReset.kext in your EFI-Folder. o_O Once a properly adapted TSCAdjustReset.kext is back in your EFI-Folder, your Designare EX system should boot now with your current EFI-Folder configuration.

Revise your BIOS settings in case the boot problem still remains. Also try to enable/disable "above 4G decoding".

I do not have any save of SSDTs I might have created for the Designare EX once. You can only investigate both X299 threads, if I attached such SSDTs once.

There are also no XHC USB kexts for the Designare EX yet available in the respective Github library, as no Designare EX user was providing or willing in helping to provide the latter.

Last but not least, TB HotPlug will also not work with the onboard Alpine Ridge controller of the Designare EX, thus I really don't know what for all these efforts..

You do not want to directly switch to the ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G + GC-Titan Ridge controller?

To answer your question, yes I would love to own the SAGE 10G, but cant afford right now $650 (ouch!). Also it seems you can only have the Titan Ridge TB in the 2nd slot of the sage, meaning the first GPU card has to be a 1 slot card or on riser. Also I still don't know if anyone is running multiple gpus in the sage, I have been trying to find all the posts on the sage to read up.

Oops I forgot to add the TSCAdjustReset.kext again....I just did after you mentioned that, still no boot :( I only have one GPU installed and nothing else. Also the enable/disable "above 4G decoding" is not an option on the Gigabyte unfortunately. Not as concerned with the hotswap as much as just getting this thing to boot! I even flashed the BIOS. I am lost for options. :(

To answer your question, yes I would love to own the SAGE 10G, but cant afford right now $650 (ouch!). Also it seems you can only have the Titan Ridge TB in the 2nd slot of the sage, meaning the first GPU card has to be a 1 slot card or on riser. Also I still don't know if anyone is running multiple gpus in the sage, I have been trying to find all the posts on the sage to read up.

Oops I forgot to add the TSCAdjustReset.kext again....I just did after you mentioned that, still no boot :( I only have one GPU installed and nothing else. Also the enable/disable "above 4G decoding" is not an option on the Gigabyte unfortunately. Not as concerned with the hotswap as much as just getting this thing to boot! I even flashed the BIOS. I am lost for options. :(

About the 650$ for the Sage, see my additional comments in post #12,080 . After returning the Deluxe II (500$) and selling your Designare EX, you should be easily able to manage economically 150$ extra for the Sage and additional 99$ for the GC-Titan Ridge. Although the TTR adapter must be in Slot-2 of the Sage, you have sufficient slots left (7x x16 slots) for implementing two GPUs at least. Carefully read the user manual and respective slot descriptions. However, as you insist in using Nvidia GPUs, the implementation of two Nvidia GPUs will not be straight anyway independently from the Sage.

If finally you decide to stay with the Designare EX, good luck for SSDT and XHC USB kext creation. I am also not able to help you further with your boot problem, as with your current EFI-Folder implementation your Deisgnare EX system should boot straight away. Thus, if it still doesn't, the problem should be your BIOS settings, which are anyway also outlined in my guide.

Well I am off my friend. Good luck in any case.

About the 650$ for the Sage, see my additional comments in post #12,080 . After returning the Deluxe II (500$) and selling your Designare EX, you should be easily able to manage economically 150$ extra for the Sage and additional 99$ for the GC-Titan Ridge. Although the TTR adapter must be in Slot-2 of the Sage, you have sufficient slots left (7x x16 slots) for implementing two GPUs at least. Carefully read the user manual and respective slot descriptions. However, as you insist in using Nvidia GPUs, the implementation of two Nvidia GPUs will not be straight anyway independently from the Sage.

If finally you decide to stay with the Designare EX, good luck for SSDT and XHC USB kext creation. I am also not able to help you further with your boot problem, as with your current EFI-Folder implementation your Deisgnare EX system should boot straight away. Thus, if it still doesn't, the problem should be your BIOS settings, which are anyway also outlined in my guide.

Well I am off my friend. Good luck in any case.
Ok, thank you for your time! Take care!

Reactions: kgp

There are also no XHC USB kexts for the Designare EX yet available in the respective Github library, as no Designare EX user was providing or willing in helping to provide the latter. Thus you will have to come up with new Designare EX XHC USB kexts in any case.

Well I don't want to spend again my entire day here in this forum and I have to arrange several things in real life for now. Thus, I just hope that you take the correct decision how to proceed with your endeavours in line with your personal skills. In any case, for the ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G + GC-Titan Ridge controller you would have SSDTs and XHC USB kexts already available and also TTR TB would work including TB and USB-C HotPlug and sleep/wake as well as the two onboard 10GB NICs would be fully functional after following my respective guidelines.

As you already returned the Deluxe II and in case you would also sell your Designare EX, the resulting budget should be more than sufficient to go for the ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G + GC-Titan Ridge controller solution, where also @djlild7hina can provide help and support.

Ok I have decided to buy the Asus WS X299 Sage 10G! You sold me!

Ok I have decided to buy the Asus WS X299 Sage 10G! You sold me!

Best of luck! I’ll be glad to help once you get it :) just another gotcha about the sage boards is that there is only one internal usb 3 header and no usb 2. I have the internal usb header connected to the front USB ports and the rest of my internal usb devices connected to a pci usb card with an internal header. There is also a internal usb 3 hub by sabrent that I’ll probably try next week to get rid of the pci card. It doesn’t have the best reviews though.

Reactions: kgp
Best of luck! I’ll be glad to help once you get it :) just another gotcha about the sage boards is that there is only one internal usb 3 header and no usb 2. I have the internal usb header connected to the front USB ports and the rest of my internal usb devices connected to a pci usb card with an internal header. There is also a internal usb 3 hub by sabrent that I’ll probably try next week to get rid of the pci card. It doesn’t have the best reviews though.
That would be great thank you! Are you running multiple gpus in the system? I need a few 1080tis with cuda power for rendering. I would love to know how that has been working out! Thanks!

That would be great thank you! Are you running multiple gpus in the system? I need a few 1080tis with cuda power for rendering. I would love to know how that has been working out! Thanks!

I’m only running one vega frontier at the moment so can’t comment on that. If you do plan to use a thunderbolt card, it has to be in slot 2 which makes the lane allocation to be 16x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x. Thought I wonder if you can still do 16/0/16/0/16/0/16 with a thunderbolt card since it is on the pch. I’m planning on messing with having a vega in slot 1 and rtx in slot 3 to see if that’s the case though.

Or... I can sell my gaming computer parts and the Vega and get a Vega vii :lol:

Last edited:
I’m only running one vega frontier at the moment so can’t comment on that. If you do plan to use a thunderbolt card, it has to be in slot 2 which makes the lane allocation to be 16x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x. Thought I wonder if you can still do 16/0/16/0/16/0/16 with a thunderbolt card since it is on the pch. I’m planning on messing with having a vega in slot 1 and rtx in slot 3 to see if that’s the case though.

Yes, I was reading back on some of your threads. I think I will buy the 1050ti single slot card run that on lane 1 and thunderbolt card on lane 2. Then some 1080tis on the rest of the lanes. I would love to know though if this would even work. If it doesn't I wouldn't buy the board, it would not be worth it unfortunately. Any out there that has tried to run more than 1 GPU and thunderbolt? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back