Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kgp
sorry to insist...
My XHCI implementation looks fine. I can hotplug USB_C device to my ThunderboltEX3 card but no success with thunderbolt 3, even 2 and 1 devices except before booting...
Thunderbolt hotplug works on Windows ;(
I'am running HIGH SIERRA 10.13.6 (17G5019)
Any idea ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Best.
S.GLAS.

As detailed in my 10.14 X299 thread, I do not further provide individual, user specific support along my threads in addition to all my available and anyway detailed and extensive guidelines for now. I am sure other experienced users familiar with these general guidelines and approaches can help you in your specific issues, if really necessary and not already discussed and solved a few hundred times along my respective threads anyway.

Thanks for your comprehension.

KGP

Last edited:
As detailed in my 10.14 X299 thread, I do not further provide individual, user specific support along my threads in addition to all my available and anyway detailed and extensive guidelines for now. I am sure other experienced users familiar with these general guidelines and approaches can help you in your specific issues, if really necessary.

Thanks for your comprehension.

KGP

ok thanks for your reply.
I will try harder...:crazy:
Just wondering if it's a real problem to boot with CSM enabled and if I don't need to modify the DSDT.aml if I put directly your SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml in the patch folder
Best

Hello everyone, this is my first post here but im a long time reader of this great database. until now i built two successful machines (x58 10.6.5 and a x99 10.9.5 from 2015), which i work on for music production with high end converters, high channel count, high sample rates, and CPU core count is a major part of the deal (i have 5820k whos working very hard). as well as great communication between CPU and digital audio transport, in my case until now FireWire.
now i want to upgrade communication system as the firewire system is not supported anymore. so logic turns me to the thunderbolt root. im looking for the strongest for my needs and most vanilla system i can achieve with thunderbolt as natively as possible. not caring so much for hot plug, though it would be nice to have. no 4k monitors on my TB. just audio. so i have got here a month ago and read everyones comments and experience, and of course KGP post #1 for at least 20 times and remember alot of it(its much much easier then Camelion! ive used Clover for the 2nd machine with ease). needs advice before buying stuff that i dont need or vise versa. specs which i can buy in my country:

9940x
x299 designare ex rev 1.0
64gb ddr4 corsair lpx cl16
gigabyte vega 64
1tb 970 evo m.2
corsair HX850i psu

few questions arise- i want to safely boot from bios to desktop with a native card. as i understand from reading here an rx580 is sometimes a bad choise for doing that natively. my first system in 2008 was running for 3 month before i could fix the display issue. and i want as less hassles and update easy system.
Is the vega 64 my only way to go for this purpose?
does the onboard alpine ridge a major draw as far as my needs? newer x299 chipset has other advantages?
i want to water cool most of the system (like all my systems in the past for better noise operation) so its also important to take into account. ANY advice or alternatives to go as trouble free would be highly appreciated!

thank you very much for any thoughts,

Vamzi

@vamzi21
What country do you live in?

If i were you i would buy the x299-deluxe or x299-a , if it’s available in your country. The first one is recommended, cause kgp already optimized everything for that mobo.

Buy a Titan-Ridge for thunderbolt, if it’s not available where you live, buy from amazon/ebay.

I would suggest that you look at the 10.14 guide, since it’s updated to work with the latest MacOS.

Good luck mate!

Dear @kgp
I use cpu i-9 7980xe, asus x299 deluxe board and evga 1080ti ftw3 hybrid graphics card.
I started by looking at your High sierra (17G65) article.
I am using dual monitor (two 1920 * 1080 and supports hdmi port)
High sierra (17G65) When I first tried it, the boot screen was correctly displayed.
When I use it later, it is displayed on the black screen at some moment and then the high Sierra screen appears.
I upgraded to Mohave and then I installed it again in a high Sierra.
Hi Sierra is now version 17G5019.
The High Sierra screen still appears after the black screen. (DP to HDMI cable is in use)
The ports on my graphics card are three dp ports and one hdmi port.
Now the situation is only audio is played on one dp port. In the past, all the dp ports were remembered as audio enabled.
Dual monitor is possible with hdmi and dp port, but there is no audio.
So if you connect only one hdmi port, you can sleep, but if you do dual monitor, it wakes up in 5 ~ 10 minutes.

I wonder how I can solve black screen and audio.
Thank you very much for reading.
PS I wonder if it is possible to do this by cutting the usb 15 port.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.8 MB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Dear @kgp
I use cpu i-9 7980xe, asus x299 deluxe board and evga 1080ti ftw3 hybrid graphics card.
I started by looking at your High sierra (17G65) article.
I am using dual monitor (two 1920 * 1080 and supports hdmi port)
High sierra (17G65) When I first tried it, the boot screen was correctly displayed.
When I use it later, it is displayed on the black screen at some moment and then the high Sierra screen appears.
I upgraded to Mohave and then I installed it again in a high Sierra.
Hi Sierra is now version 17G5019.
The High Sierra screen still appears after the black screen. (DP to HDMI cable is in use)
The ports on my graphics card are three dp ports and one hdmi port.
Now the situation is only audio is played on one dp port. In the past, all the dp ports were remembered as audio enabled.
Dual monitor is possible with hdmi and dp port, but there is no audio.
So if you connect only one hdmi port, you can sleep, but if you do dual monitor, it wakes up in 5 ~ 10 minutes.

I wonder how I can solve black screen and audio.
Thank you very much for reading this article.

Please see post #12,029 . Thanks for your comprehension.

Hi kgp
I have one question about Nvidia SSDT implementation.

I've used your source SSDT available at Github and modified the address in the SSDT itself.
What I get in IOReg is what you can see from the attached image.
One of the DP also has Audio working.

Is the PCI path correct?
Should I do any modification?
I also add screenshot of SSDT within MaciASL.
I don't see any PEGP in IOReg.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-02-28 alle 12.29.54.png
    Schermata 2019-02-28 alle 12.29.54.png
    118 KB · Views: 186
  • Schermata 2019-02-28 alle 12.35.03.png
    Schermata 2019-02-28 alle 12.35.03.png
    430.2 KB · Views: 185
Hi kgp
I have one question about Nvidia SSDT implementation.

I've used your source SSDT available at Github and modified the address in the SSDT itself.
What I get in IOReg is what you can see from the attached image.
One of the DP also has Audio working.

Is the PCI path correct?
Should I do any modification?
I also add screenshot of SSDT within MaciASL.
I don't see any PEGP in IOReg.

Thanks for your help.

Following your IOREG Screenshot, you obviously did not properly adapt the Nvidia SSDT available on Github to your system.

Please properly adapt the Nvidia SSDT available on Github to your system based on the original GPU ACPI table in your IOREGExplorer after temporally removing any GPU SSDT and WEG.kext from your EFI-Folder.

Else, please see post #12,029 and many thanks in advance for your comprehension.

Following your IOREG Screenshot, you obviously did not properly adapt the Nvidia SSDT available on Github to your system.

Please properly adapt the Nvidia SSDT available on Github to your system based on the original GPU ACPI table in your IOREGExplorer after temporally removing any GPU SSDT and WEG.kext from your EFI-Folder.

Else, please see post #12,029 and many thanks in advance for your comprehension.

Thanks for your reply. I know about post #12,029.

Thing is I'm learning to edit these SSDTs.

For example on the Asus WS X299 Sage (that you suggested and I purchased) Thunderbolt 3 is implemented on PCI0 as on this motherboards there's only one slot in which to install the TB3 card (PCIe 16_2), hence I had to implement it like the Z370 motherboard style and I succeeded. I have all the loaded drivers and within IOReg the path tree is exactly as the one you show on page 1.

But for the Nvidia I seem not to understand. Maybe someone else can help if they know more than I do on the matter.
I've attached the screenshot of the Nvidia path in IOReg without WhateverGreen and any SSDT and after the change I did in the SSDT.
Does the "Nvidia After" screenshot make any sense or is it still wrong? I guess so.

Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• Nvidia.png
    Nvidia.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Nvidia After.png
    Nvidia After.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for your reply. I know about post #12,029.

Thing is I'm learning to edit these SSDTs.

For example on the Asus WS X299 Sage (that you suggested and I purchased) Thunderbolt 3 is implemented on PCI0 as on this motherboards there's only one slot in which to install the TB3 card (PCIe 16_2), hence I had to implement it like the Z370 motherboard style and I succeeded. I have all the loaded drivers and within IOReg the path tree is exactly as the one you show on page 1.

But for the Nvidia I seem not to understand. Maybe someone else can help if they know more than I do on the matter.
I've attached the screenshot of the Nvidia path in IOReg without WhateverGreen and any SSDT and after the change I did in the SSDT.
Does the "Nvidia After" screenshot make any sense or is it still wrong? I guess so.

Thanks for your help!!

I already told you that your current SSDT adaptation is totally wrong. Even if you ask a second time, the answer will still be that your actual SSDT implementation is totally wrong. Yet you have GFX0 and HDAU only implemented thanks to WEG.kext and not thanks to your SSDT implementation! Don't you see that the entire ACPI path in front of GFX0 is not like currently implemented in your SSDT implementation, and that due to your erroneous ACPI path definition within your SSDT, GFX0 is even implemented twice, once by your SSDT and and a second time by the WEG.kext? Don't you see that your current IROEG result after using your SSDT makes no sense at all?

Carefully study this small guideline which anyway provides all information you need to know. I guess I wrote this sentence already several dozens of times along my threads.. ;)

Else, following your IOREG.save above, one would intuitively expect the following necessary SSDT adaptation:

Code:
Scope: PC02.BR2A
Scope: nulling SL05
Scope:  PEGP (implementing existing PEGP device after nulling SL05)
Device: EGPA (implementing new EGPA device substituting "PCI bridge")
            Name (_ADR, 0x00100000)  // _ADR: Address
Device: EGPB (implementing new EGPB device substituting "PCI bridge")
            Name (_ADR, 0x00080000)  // _ADR: Address
Device: GFX0 (implementing new GFX0 device substituting "display")
            Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address

This should be really sufficient information to get your things properly done by yourself.

Good luck, my friend!

KGP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back