Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we have tried all custom flags such as "NvidiaWeb" Load VBIOS ect. Yes 4G encoding needs to be on to allow memory to the PCI busses. How would I adapt a custom SSDT for those GPUs? Any suggestions? Thanks as always!

By means of your IOREG information for each GPU. You will just have to adopt ACPI path and ACPI replacement for each SSDT. You have to choose for each SSDT a different filename and also the name in the definitionblock must be different for each SSDT. As device for each GPU, you implement GFX0, GFX1, GFX2.. etc., respectively. This small guideline might help you in your endeavour. The implementation of two GPUs also has been recently discussed in one of my threads in line with provided examples. Please investigate recent posts in my X99 or X299 threads, I am sure you are able to find what I am referring too.

Do a stepwise approach. Try to connect, use and successfully implement a single PCIe GPU at first place. Once this works as expected, add the second PCIe GPU. Once this works, start adding stepwise the eGPUs.

Good luck in your in endeavour,

KGP

Last edited:
By means of your IOREG information for each GPU. You will just have to adopt ACPI path and ACPI replacement for each SSDT. You have to choose for each SSDT a different filename and also the name in the definitionblock must be different for each SSDT. As device for each GPU, you implement GFX0, GFX1, GFX2.. etc., respectively. This small guideline might help you in your endeavour. The implementation of two GPUs also has been recently discussed in one of my threads in line with provided examples. Please investigate recent posts in my X99 or X299 threads, I am sure you are able to find what I am referring too.

Do a stepwise approach. Try to connect, use and successfully implement a single PCIe GPU at first place. Once this works as expected, add the second PCIe GPU. Once this works, start adding stepwise the eGPUs.

Good luck in your in endeavour,

KGP
Ok thank you for the tips as always, I have some studying up to do. GOD, what I wouldn't do for a detailed video tutorial on adopting SSDT!

Ok thank you for the tips as always, I have some studying up to do. GOD, what I wouldn't do for a detailed video tutorial on adopting SSDT!

My small guideline should be more than sufficient.. ;)

First steps with a MSI Radeon VII under macOS 10.14.3 (18D42) and 10.14.3 SU (18D109)

See post #1,646

Yeah - I suspect you are barking up the wrong tree here. I can plug an external GPU array into a real iMac Pro and it just works. Instead of guessing and randomly changing settings until you accidentally hit the right combination why not just ssh to your hackintosh and check the logs, or do some remote kernel debugging.
Never try to optimise code by inspection, and never try to debug a fault by guesswork.
Same goes for "do I need this kext?" - people keep suggesting to try this and try that. Nooooo - just read the source code and see what it does. I went through all this over a year ago here with a bunch of old kexts and patches that people kept saying to use like witch doctors. I checked out the source and found that they were all utterly useless and had nothing at all to do with the issues people were having.

• check the logs
  • use a debugger
  • read the source

Yeah - I suspect you are barking up the wrong tree here. I can plug an external GPU array into a real iMac Pro and it just works. Instead of guessing and randomly changing settings until you accidentally hit the right combination why not just ssh to your hackintosh and check the logs, or do some remote kernel debugging.
Never try to optimise code by inspection, and never try to debug a fault by guesswork.
Same goes for "do I need this kext?" - people keep suggesting to try this and try that. Nooooo - just read the source code and see what it does. I went through all this over a year ago here with a bunch of old kexts and patches that people kept saying to use like witch doctors. I checked out the source and found that they were all utterly useless and had nothing at all to do with the issues people were having.

• check the logs
  • use a debugger
  • read the source
Thank you so much for your detailed reply I really appreciate it. Could you possibly walk me through how to check the logs, debugger, and read the source? I do understand how to SSH and, I'm fairly technical but I've never done any of those before. Thank you so much

I decided to upgrade some components for my build and took delivery from Amazon of: :
  • Corsair HX850i PSU
  • Intel core i9 7940x CPU
  • EWGA DG85 case
To be continued ;)

Why are you going for a i9 7940x CPU instead of the 9940x ? The i9 7940x is newer, more powerful and at the same price as the 7940x = Sorry I figure out why afterward when I saw the date of your post XD

Why are you going for a i9 7940x CPU instead of the 9940x ? The i9 7940x is newer, more powerful and at the same price as the 7940x = Sorry I figure out why afterward when I saw the date of your post XD

A delidded i9-7940X supersedes a soldered i9-9940X by far due to its better thermal performance.

@kgp any ideas of how to remove the ugly text saying "Press F2 or DEL to enter Bios" ?

It ruins my clean and new splash screen ;) And at this point i know fairly well what key to press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back