Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I had my computer crash on boot where it would stay black, and not boot.. I have a USB3 Hub that when externally powered, it still supplies power to the computer. I have a feeling that my CMOS got corrupted... I cleared the CMOS, so I had to re-do all the settings... So since I had to do that anyway, I downloaded 1603. I was still on the 1401. Installed it, and my USB is all working fine :)

So all I have to do is save my settings to my USB, modify the BIOS, and Flash it with the button in back, and restore it.. It should work. :)

The strange thing is that under 1603, I suddenly need to enable Above 4G decoding for my Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64, otherwise my system would not even boot to the BIOS and peep 4 times with the error "cannot load video firmware" on the Qled display of my ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe ".

What does it help if I think it might work and it doesn’t?

You will have to see it yourself by testing.

If you are willing to delid the i9-7980XE and accept that by doing so you will loose warrenty, I would go for the i9-7980XE anyway.

Okay, so I will choose I9-7980XE for sure.

I only have Thunderbolt 2 & 3 Devices daisy chained through an apple TB3 to TB2 adapter. Currently have 2 Thunderbolt 2 RAIDs and a Thunderbolt 1Raid connected.. No problem.

If you use this PCI port,

Thanks for the tip. I will try to switch the ports, maybe the broadcom card in the port above is colliding with the tb-card in some weird way.

I am also using apple TB3 - TB2 adapter, with an UAD Satellite.

By switching ports, it now works on boot. But no hotplug. Does that work for you?

Just curious, what bios version are you running? I am not using the latest cause i didnt manage to get the usbs working, even after 2-3 cmos resets.

Last edited:
@kgp

So i tried switching the ports on tb and broadcom card, and load the native tb3hp and dtpg, provided on the github.

Now it boots fine, and also detects the tb3 unit, if switched on before boot. Bot no hotplug...
Can you take another look at my IOReg?

Would it help to have a modified SSDT for my "Broadcom-BCM943602CS" in port PCIEX_3 ?

So close to have a nice hack, if you have the time, please help!

@kgp here is screens and ioreg + config

EDIT: I also attach some weirdness in the pci window. When trying and hotplugging both usb-c device and tb device, in and out, for a while. This was added in system information. See PIC.

Attachments

• junoioreg.ioreg
    10.5 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 23.34.50.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 23.34.50.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 94
  • config.plist
    35.1 KB · Views: 150
  • weirdness.png
    weirdness.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
@kgp here is screens and ioreg + config

EDIT: I also attach some weirdness in the pci window. When trying and hotplugging both usb-c device and tb device, in and out, for a while. This was added in system information. See PIC.
Hmmm.. Seems that you haven't done the SSDT stuff for your motherboard.

Here is my PCI listing for my X299-A

To help you out, I attached my IOREG, and my EFI folder. If you don't have the i7-7800X, you will have to change the TSCAdjustReset.kext to match your processor, and the CPXX -> PRXX to match your processor.

Note: I regenerated the Serial # and UUID's in my posted EFI, so that you can't use the same as me, and break my iMessage :)

Attachments

• jaminmc x299a.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 79
Hmmm.. Seems that you haven't done the SSDT stuff for your motherboard.

Here is my PCI listing for my X299-A

Thanks a lot! Do you have an airport pci-card or other cards? If so, what slot do you have them in?

To help you out, I attached my IOREG, and my EFI folder. If you don't have the i7-7800X, you will have to change the TSCAdjustReset.kext to match your processor, and the CPXX -> PRXX to match your processor.

Even with your EFI it doesn’t work. Still missing a lot of entries in PCI-tab. I need to try and reflash my bios.

@jaminmc @kgp PROGRESS! When i remove the TBHEADER, it works.

Any idea how i could get it to work with the header connected? And why is it not adviced to boot into windows with it disconnected?

Thanks a lot! Do you have an airport pci-card or other cards? If so, what slot do you have them in?
I have a BlackMagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K in Slot 5. I didn't do a SSDT for it, so it doesn't show in System Information.

My Videocard takes up 3 slots, so I have it is Slot 5.

@jaminmc @kgp PROGRESS! When i remove the TBHEADER, it works.

Any idea how i could get it to work with the header connected? And why is it not adviced to boot into windows with it disconnected?
That is why it is better to get the Titian Ridge Thunderbolt Card. My windows seems to work with it disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back