Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
umm....sorry that i dont have TB device to test right now. so i dont know.

Dude!

This is very important to know! Can you get some TB HDD for testing purposes? I always considered that you did all TB tests for drawing our conclusions and that you claimed TB HotPlug not to work with SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml on your ASUS Prime X299 DELUXE II!

If now in contradiction to all your former claims, USB-C HotPlug suddenly works and even TB HotPlug would work too, there would not be any TTR issues with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II at all, and all our former conclusion would have been totally wrong and totally misleading! o_O

Dude!

This is very important to know! Can you get some TB HDD for testing purposes? I always considered that you did all TB tests for drawing our conclusions and that you claimed TB HotPlug not to work with SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml on your ASUS Prime X299 DELUXE II!

If now in contradiction to all your former claims, USB-C HotPlug suddenly works and even TB HotPlug would work too, there would not be any TTR issues with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II at all, and all our former conclusion would have been totally wrong and totally misleading! o_O

seems i need to order one from amazon.

for those who are using Dexlue II, pls kindly also help to test whether your tb/usb-c device can hotplug or not if you set ‘Tunderbolt BOOT Support’ disabled in BIOS.

also make sure connect your TB/usb-c to TB3 port before booting to OSX, otherwise it wont discover the tb/usb-c device.
kgp's SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml also needed.

thanks.

Reactions: kgp
@kgp never mind, fair enough i'll post it again. The BIOS settings is exactly the same as you have in your pictures.

I did edit the SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml , and changed from SLOT-4 to SLOT-3, but i have no idea if that was the right thing to do.

also included a picture of what slots my cards are in.

I have the alpine ridge connected to the TB-header btw, just to clarify.

Attached the adapted TB-SSDT.aml which you have to use on line with SSDT-DTPG.aml also attached below. Yet you might have to do small cosmetics, as TTR will show up under "PCI" and also the DSM slot assignment might need some correction. However, the latter cosmetically errors should not affect your Alpine Ridge functionality.

At some moment, you will also have to adapt and implement all other necessary SSDTs available in my X299 SSDT Gitub repository by following my guidelines.

Upon your request, I only adopted TB-SSDT.aml but I did not further check your EFI-Folder.

Good luck,

KGP

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 77
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml.zip
    852 bytes · Views: 73
@kgp

Tried it, still not working. When booting with UAD Satellite -> TB 2 - TB 3 adapter, i get kernel panic. Even tried with thunderbolt boot disabled in BIOS.

If i boot without a device, it boots up. But now since the SSDT implementation, the computer freezes once plugged in.

In BIOS i have set it up as PCIE16_3 , but my PCI system report still says SLOT4, could this be something?

Also, i have the Broadcom BCM943602CS in PCIE16_2, but have not SSDT loaded for it, could this be the problem?

posting pictures of tb-settings in bios as well as system report.

EDIT: Posting my motherboard setup just to clarify.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 75
  • juno-io2.ioreg
    11 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 09.55.02.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 09.55.02.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 63
  • mobo-positions.jpg
    mobo-positions.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 67
@kgp

Tried it, still not working. When booting with UAD Satellite -> TB 2 - TB 3 adapter, i get kernel panic. Even tried with thunderbolt boot disabled in BIOS.

If i boot without a device, it boots up. But now since the SSDT implementation, the computer freezes once plugged in.

In BIOS i have set it up as PCIE16_3 , but my PCI system report still says SLOT4, could this be something?

Also, i have the Broadcom BCM943602CS in PCIE16_2, but have not SSDT loaded for it, could this be the problem?

posting pictures of tb-settings in bios as well as system report.

EDIT: Posting my motherboard setup just to clarify.

Both, your "PCI" snapshot and IOREG.save confirm that SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml is now properly implemented.

Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 11.57.33.png

The kernel panic might be BIOS setting or hardware related, but is certainly not related with the now correct TB and USB-C implementation gained by means of SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml. Try to play with your TB BIOS settings or see if you can find posts related to general issues and possible solution for the UAD Satellite in respective forums.

BTW.. your TB adapter appears under slot-4 in Section PCI, because it is defined such within SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml. In my own slot nomenclature outlined in my guide, the respective slot is defined such although in the ASUS user manual and ASUS BIOS it figures under PCIE16_3. It is just the 4th slot from above on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, that's why I call it slot-4 myself. You can substitute slot-4 by anything else, it is as a purely cosmetic entry not related with the overall TB and USB-C functionality!

Good luck, my friend.

Hello @kgp,

I think I don't speak well : I tried your way but it didn't work. So I tried a different way. But my BIOS settings is like is write in your guide.
Anyway, I've got the same issue with your EFI Folder, without or not the ACPI patches and the SSDT for the Vega.
Here is the KP screenshot, it seems to be a GPU issue, and when it crashes, the GPU's fans goes crazy. I tried the Vegagraphicsfixup.kext and the radeonvegalowfanspeed.kext but both didn't work.

Thank you for your help !

Attachments

• KP 2.jpg
    KP 2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 73
Hello @kgp,

I think I don't speak well : I tried your way but it didn't work. So I tried a different way. But my BIOS settings is like is write in your guide.
Anyway, I've got the same issue with your EFI Folder, without or not the ACPI patches and the SSDT for the Vega.
Here is the KP screenshot, it seems to be a GPU issue, and when it crashes, the GPU's fans goes crazy. I tried the Vegagraphicsfixup.kext and the radeonvegalowfanspeed.kext but both didn't work.

Thank you for your help !

With the EFI-Folder attached in post #11,881 your system should boot without issues, although the entire post installation process outlined in Section E.) is still required in any case, including a proper SSDT adaptation/implementation. Especially the HDEF and Vega-SSDTs as well as Whatevergreen are mandatory for a proper function of your Gigabyte Vega 64.

Your current KP issue is definitely not an error induced by the default EFI-Folder distribution, but seems indeed GPU related (set display_mode, vram failed, AMD_xxx.ccp).

I was previously using the Gigabyte Vega 64 8Gb with Vega-SSDT and Whatevergreen without any issues. Thus, no idea what actually causes the GPU related KP on your system.

Anyway, I can only help as long you stay with the default EFI-Folder configuration and also follow all guidelines for the post installation, including SSDT and kext implementation. As soon the latter would be the case, I could once more revise your system configuration based on all information requested at beginning of Section C.) and try to help in the best way possible, always provided that my help is also desired in any case.

hi @kgp

i want to upgrade my boot splash screen as per E.11) iMac Pro Boot Splash Screen Cosmetics.

but "Save Image File..." warning 'invalid UEFI volume'

i followed you step by step. how to solve this problem?

thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 8.52.35 PM.png

i also tried to modify Deluxe I bios without any problem. seems above issue only for Deluxe II ?

hi @kgp

i want to upgrade my boot splash screen as per E.11) iMac Pro Boot Splash Screen Cosmetics.

but "Save Image File..." warning 'invalid UEFI volume'

i followed you step by step. how to solve this problem?

thanks.

View attachment 383766

Upon BIOS firmware 1603, it is also impossible to modify the Splash Screen image in the Prime X299 Deluxe firmware. Seems UEFI tool needs some update. Can you write to the developers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back