Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I am trying to follow this enormously detailed guide (awesome job I must admit).
One thing that I am confused about is the order of section C and D. At the point when i reach section C, I have not yet created the USB installer (I have just downloaded and built the osx installer). So do I perform the work in section C before I make the USB or do I go back to section C later?
I am building the USB installer on my macbook and not on the machine I am building.

additional info:
My build is based on MSI X299 Gaming Carbon Pro / Intel i7 6820x (8core), Samsung EVO 760 NVMe 500gb. I have Windows 10 installed on a separate SSD drive. I previously ran this machine on a AMD X399 mobo and Ryzen Threadripper 1900X so my NVMe drive still has the EFI partition from that system installed although i have deleted the HS OSX.

Ok, I think I have all the USB's taken care of for the X299-A.

Made multiple versions of the 14, and 15 port Kexts.

There are 2 Versions of the Kext’s. One is for if your USB2 header is being used by the case, then the ports will be External for the MacOS. The other one will make it Internal. Like for a Water Pump, and Bluetooth.

For the 15 port Kext’s, The internal USB3 port Header next to the SATA ports won’t work in MacOS, and USB2 will not work in the port next to the USB-C port. Basically making that port USB3 Only.

For the 14 Port Version, both Internal USB 3 port headers ports won’t work. But all external ports will work as expected!

Also have a All Ports versions in there.
Will I still need usbinjectall? Thanks

Will I still need usbinjectall? Thanks

No..

Which internal USB3.0 header do you have connected to your 2 front panel USB3.0 connectors?

U31G1_12 or U31G1_34? See ASUS Prime X299-A User Manual and answer asap, please..

I’ve connected front USB-C and front USB-A from the case to the two USB respective headers close to SATA ones. I didn’t have time to test everything, but front panel case ports work with all ports (no 15 limit) kexts. Tomorrow I’ll have more time to help you test whatever you want my friend! Ok?

I’ve connected front USB-C and front USB-A from the case to the two USB respective headers close to SATA ones. I didn’t have time to test everything, but front panel case ports work with all ports (no 15 limit) kexts. Tomorrow I’ll have more time to help you test whatever you want my friend! Ok?

Are you not able to answer my simple question? Or are you feeling too lazy to see the user manual to provide a correct and useful answer? :rolleyes: In contrary, I did invest nearly one hour to derive your kext.

BTW.. I am not interested what works for you now as everything anyway will change in a minute..

Ok, I think I have all the USB's taken care of for the X299-A.

Made multiple versions of the 14, and 15 port Kexts.

There are 2 Versions of the Kext’s. One is for if your USB2 header is being used by the case, then the ports will be External for the MacOS. The other one will make it Internal. Like for a Water Pump, and Bluetooth.

For the 15 port Kext’s, The internal USB3 port Header next to the SATA ports won’t work in MacOS, and USB2 will not work in the port next to the USB-C port. Basically making that port USB3 Only.

For the 14 Port Version, both Internal USB 3 port headers ports won’t work. But all external ports will work as expected!

Also have a All Ports versions in there.

@jaminmc , @pieropontra ,

I basically established two new kexts (fully implemented and 15-port) based on the user ASUS Prime X299-A manual (nice that ASUS exactly assigns HS and SS ports following the user manual connector denomination). The kexts now also contain the necessary port-layout.rtf description.

I already uploaded the following 2 kexts to the XHC USB Kext Library.

1.) JaminMc-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299A-XHCI.kext.zip is the fully implemented XHC USB Kext for the ASUS Prime X299-A
2.) JaminMc-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299A-XHCI-15port.kext.zip is the truncated 15-port kext. I dropped HS03, SSP3 and HS04, SSP4 assigned to internal USB3.0 header U31G1_34 (bottom most) which will be non-functional. I also dropped HS12 assigned to one of the two external back-panel USB2.0 connectors of USB1112.

In case that either you or @pieropontra uses internal USB3.0 header U31G1_34 for connecting the 2x USB3.0 front-panel connectors, I also attach JaminMc-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299A-XHCI-15port-optional.kext below. In the latter kext I dropped HS01, SSP1 and HS02, SSP2 assigned to internal USB3.0 header U31G1_12 (middle right) which will be non-functional. I also dropped HS12 assigned to one of the two external back-panel USB2.0 connectors of USB1112.

@pieropontra, no other USB kext in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/, ok? And disable the port limit patch in your config.plist !

Enjoy and have fun,

KGP

Attachments

• JaminMc-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299A-XHCI-15port-optional.kext.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 54

I basically established two new kexts (fully implemented and 15-port) based on the user ASUS Prime X299-A manual (nice that ASUS exactly assigns HS and SS ports following the user manual connector denomination). The kexts now also contain the necessary port-layout.rtf description.

1.) JaminMc-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299A-XHCI.kext.zip is the fully implemented XHC USB Kext for the ASUS Prime X299-A
2.) JaminMc-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299A-XHCI-15port.kext.zip is the truncated 15-port kext. I dropped HS03, SSP3 and HS04, SSP4 assigned to internal USB3.0 header U31G1_34 (bottom most) which will be non-functional. I also dropped HS12 assigned to one of the two external back-panel USB2.0 connectors of USB1112.

In case that either you or @pieropontra uses internal USB3.0 header U31G1_34 for connecting the 2x USB3.0 front-panel connectors, I also attach JaminMc-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299A-XHCI-15port-optional.kext below. In the latter kext I dropped HS01, SSP1 and HS02, SSP2 assigned to internal USB3.0 header U31G1_12 (middle right) which will be non-functional. I also dropped HS12 assigned to one of the two external back-panel USB2.0 connectors of USB1112.

@pieropontra, no other USB kext in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/, ok? And disable the port limit patch in your config.plist !

Enjoy and have fun,

KGP

I was not lazy... I was actually in my bed

I’m actually using the _12 port but, as you said, I can use both with different Kext.

You’re the best mate, really. Don’t freak out when I call you Jedi Master, cause you actually are! Ahahah

Tomorrow I’ll implement your Kext, I’ll feedback you!

Now the only thing that doesn’t work is internet speed (just internet, WiFi datarate is fine) after sleep/wake, it becomes sluggish.

See you tomorrow, goodnight!

Reactions: kgp
I was not lazy... I was actually in my bed

I’m actually using the _12 port but, as you said, I can use both with different Kext.

You’re the best mate, really. Don’t freak out when I call you Jedi Master, cause you actually are! Ahahah

Tomorrow I’ll implement your Kext, I’ll feedback you!

Now the only thing that doesn’t work is internet speed (just internet, WiFi datarate is fine) after sleep/wake, it becomes sluggish.

See you tomorrow, goodnight!

Good night, dude ;)

Enjoy and have fun,

KGP
This is awesome, Feeling confident to make the upgrade to 10.14.1..

Yo Yo @kgp hope you're well mate!

Just wondering if you have an update guide for 10.13.6SU you can point me to?

Once I download 10.13.6su update from app store and restart to clover boot do i want to boot into the normal imac boot drive or the install boot drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back