Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed this guide which had me up and running with an amazing system. Thanks for all the work.

I upgraded to Mojave couple of days ago, all went smooth but it killed all but one DP connectors on my Vega 56 (from Amazon: XFX Radeon Rx Vega 56 8GB 3xDP HDMI Graphic Cards). Everything was working great under High Sierra. Nothing would make the 2nd monitor work. HDMI was and still was dead (both in High Sierra and Mojave). I changed sys def to Mac Pro 6,1 and it brought back the DP conenctor and 2nd monitor, so I was like 'just be done with it' and leave it at that. However, and this might help someone else, H.264 export from FCPX (final cut pro x) would fail every time under this system def. Same with iMac18,1 and others (I've never had luck with iMac non pro sys def). So I went back to iMacPro1,1 and H.264 export worked again, but no 2nd monitor. So I set out to find out how to enable the 2nd and 3rd DP connector on my Vega 56 under iMacPro1,1, given it used to work in High Sierra just fine. In the end, I couldn't fix it, following this guide, WEG and Lilu latest versions installed, nothing worked.

In the end, going back to MacPro5,1 fixed both problems, H.264 export worked flawlessly (and very fast with the Vega 56, I get around 10 seconds with the BruceX 5K export test which is just about the fastest I've seen anyone get, including the Vega 64, I have a 7920X CPU with the X299 ASUS motherboard below the suggestion here, the one without Thunderbolt, it's the A not the deluxe).

Anyway, both monitors working, HDMI still not but that's no big deal.

I also lost a few USB3 ports under iMacPro1,1 under Mojave, which have come back alive since MacPro5,1. I have no idea what disadvantage MacPro5,1 has but it worked for me.

Thanks!

Did you ever try to adopt and use my SSDT-X299-Vega.aml with DTPG.aml, Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext?

Please upload your EFI-Folder, an IOREG.save and a “PCI” snapshot of Apple’s system report for your system.

As everything relates to Mojave, this is the wrong thread to adress your current issues. Thus, please change thread anyway.

Cheers,

KGP

Did you ever try to adopt and use my SSDT-X299-Vega.aml with DTPG.aml, Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext?
Hm, I had a SSDT-X299 in the patched folder from High Sierra, but not that other file, and it was from High Sierra from when I originally built it. I took them all out and left Patched folder empty after it all broke, went back to your vanilla files and tried to build from there.
I'd be open to trying those latest files, where do I get them? I thought I had looked thru every last post on here, sorry for that.

Please upload your EFI-Folder, an IOREG.save and a “PCI” snapshot of Apple’s system report for your system.

As everything relates to Mojave, this is the wrong thread to adress your current issues. Thus, please change thread anyway.

Cheers,

KGP

I'm not trying to get support to address 'current issues'. I was just posting that I made everything work just fine with a different system def, and the issue around H.264 as I hadn't seen many people talk about that before - hoping it might point someone in the right direction if they struggled to find info about those issues like I did. Thanks.

Hm, I had a SSDT-X299 in the patched folder from High Sierra, but not that other file, and it was from High Sierra from when I originally built it. I took them all out and left Patched folder empty after it all broke, went back to your vanilla files and tried to build from there.
I'd be open to trying those latest files, where do I get them? I thought I had looked thru every last post on here, sorry for that.

Please put yourself up-to-date with the matter before further confusing the reader with misleading approaches and related results. Current SSDTs can be found HERE. Current EFI-Folder can be found HERE. Else please carefully study: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ful-build-extended-guide.255082/#post-1769074 and post your iMac Pro 10.14 Skylake-X/X299 issues there, if still necessary.

Once more a serious reminder to all of you: simple prose and blablabla will never help in solving issues. Try to deliver sophisticated bug reports by adding snapshots of your BIOS settings, EFI-Folder, IOREG.save and a “PCI” snapshot of Apple’s system report in case of issues if necessary. The community certainly will be grateful for this!

Good luck,

KGP

I'm not trying to get support to address 'current issues'. I was just posting that I made everything work just fine with a different system def, and the issue around H.264 as I hadn't seen many people talk about that before - hoping it might point someone in the right direction if they struggled to find info about those issues like I did. Thanks.

I rather have the feeling that you actually direct people towards wrong directions. Please try to get things properly set on your system.

Nothing for bad, man and a lot of good luck in all your endeavours,

KGP

Please put yourself up-to-date with the matter before further confusing the reader with misleading approaches and related results. Current SSDTs can be found HERE. Current EFI-Folder can be found HERE. Else please carefully study: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ful-build-extended-guide.255082/#post-1769074 and post your iMac Pro 10.14 Skylake-X/X299 issues there, if still necessary.

Once more a serious reminder to all of you: simple prose and blablabla will never help in solving issues. Try to deliver sophisticated bug reports by adding snapshots of your BIOS settings, EFI-Folder, IOREG.save and a “PCI” snapshot of Apple’s system report in case of issues if necessary. The community certainly will be grateful for this!

Good luck,

KGP

Got it, this will be the last time I try to give back to the community by detailing my experience. I see clearly it's not appreciated.

Again, I wasn't trying to get support or submit a 'bug' or even ask you for help. Hackintoshing is an art, not a science, and whatever way we can make things work is what works for us, INDIVIDUALLY. By restricting conversation (or 'prose' as you say) is restricting free speech, something important in America, and the discussion that people have about issues that aren't common. So from MY point of view, FREE and open discussion about individual issues DOES help, and has helped me a lot in the past, when people talk about weird and specific issues such as my one with FCPX and H.264. I wouldn't have gone this far in Hackintoshing (for the last 6 years) if it weren't for people chatting and going back and forth on an issue in conversational style.

By the way, using your SSDT did enable 2nd monitor again, but USB3 is broken again under iMacPro1,1, even after putting in other SSDTs that should have enabled it. So MacPro5,1 works much better for what *I* need, and may also be relevant (or an easy quick fix) that someone else appreciates even if YOU don't think it is helpful.

I appreciate the work you've done on this thread and to help people get things right, but I do not appreciate being basically told to 'shut up' when I wish to comment and add my experience.

Intel likely lifting another important part of the Mac Pro 2019 puzzle?

Two days ago, Intel announced yet another possibly important component of the Mac Pro 2019 puzzle.

The new 28-core Skylake-X apparently will be shipped in December 2018 as the unlocked 28-core Intel Xeon W-3175X.

View attachment 356797

On a wall of motherboards outside of the presentation, the new boards from Asus, the ROG Dominus Extreme, and Gigabyte, the SKL-SP 15. These will likely launch with the W-3175. The motherboards feature the C621 chipset, but apparently no word on whether these will be branded as X599 or not.

View attachment 356803

For further details see: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xeon-w-3175x-cpu-specs,37899.html

That thing requires 2 giant motherboard power inputs and a few extra CPU inputs. It probably fluctuates between 255W-350W+ and it might be a Mac Pro part rather than iMac Pro. They most likely have to downclock it for the Mac like they did with the B revisions on the iMac Pro.

Anyway, great news for us hackintoshers in general.

Got it, this will be the last time I try to give back to the community by detailing my experience. I see clearly it's not appreciated.

Again, I wasn't trying to get support or submit a 'bug' or even ask you for help. Hackintoshing is an art, not a science, and whatever way we can make things work is what works for us, INDIVIDUALLY. By restricting conversation (or 'prose' as you say) is restricting free speech, something important in America, and the discussion that people have about issues that aren't common. So from MY point of view, FREE and open discussion about individual issues DOES help, and has helped me a lot in the past, when people talk about weird and specific issues such as my one with FCPX and H.264. I wouldn't have gone this far in Hackintoshing (for the last 6 years) if it weren't for people chatting and going back and forth on an issue in conversational style.

By the way, using your SSDT did enable 2nd monitor again, but USB3 is broken again under iMacPro1,1, even after putting in other SSDTs that should have enabled it. So MacPro5,1 works much better for what *I* need, and may also be relevant (or an easy quick fix) that someone else appreciates even if YOU don't think it is helpful.

I appreciate the work you've done on this thread and to help people get things right, but I do not appreciate being basically told to 'shut up' when I wish to comment and add my experience.

Fell free to do what ever you want.. Good bless America and it's unlimited freedom!

I was just trying to help you in your apparent Vega 56 issues. And for doing so I would have required more detailed information from your side. Sorry for offering you my help at all and also sorry for daring to comment on your awesome findings and conclusions, which are certainly in line with your awesome 6 years Hackintosh experience. I now just remain with the simple question, where in all your reaction you see a conversational style necessary to go back and forth on an issue, if you moreover reject any help and even state that you do not have any issue, while your recent post was just crowded with remaining issues even after applying your own marvellous ideas and solutions.

BTW.. this is an iMac Pro and macOS 10.13 High Sierra thread based on in-depth experience collected over more than one year and shared over more than 10.000 posts and nearly 1 million reads. Seems that in your personal opinion everybody was just waiting here for somebody like you to come up with mind breaking ideas, for somebody who finally proves that one can do much better than anybody else ever did before. You just have the tiny problem that your Vega 56 still does not work as expected despite all your mind blowing proposals and ideas, because it simply looks like that you are not able to properly configure a iMacPro Vega Skylake-X/X299 system despite all extensive available guidelines. And also you do not seem to consider other disadvantages when abandoning SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 on Skylake-X/X299 systems.

Anyway, with your MacPro 5,1 SMBIOS settings and current macOS 10.14 installation, you mistook twice in posting your related conclusions and results here along this thread and you are simply out of topic in this case. Thus, please change thread or publish a new own thread at some adequate position in this forum. The community will be certainly grateful for all your awesome findings.

Here and at this time I was forced to interact at this place to keep this thread consistent. Sorry if I offended you by doing so in any direction.

Good night world and see you tomorrow with good mood and fresh energy.

KGP

That thing requires 2 giant motherboard power inputs and a few extra CPU inputs. It probably fluctuates between 255W-350W+ and it might be a Mac Pro part rather than iMac Pro. They most likely have to downclock it for the Mac like they did with the B revisions on the iMac Pro.

Anyway, great news for us hackintoshers in general.

I am also talking about a likely Mac Pro 2019 and not about an iMac Pro, don't I? ;) I also stated repeatedly that I see this as a new endeavour for myself and that I wish to come up with a new thread and guide in line with the possible Mac Pro 2019 release, like I also did in case of the iMac Pro more than one year ago.

I am also talking about a likely Mac Pro 2019 and not about an iMac Pro, don't I? ;) I also stated repeatedly that I see this as a new endeavour for myself and that I wish to come up with a new thread and guide in line with the possible Mac Pro 2019 release, like I also did in case of the iMac Pro more than one year ago.

Yep, and I'm with you on this one :wave:

I just wish Intel expands the X599 to include 32 cores etc. This seems only a Xeon endeavor right now. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back