Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The upcoming LG 34WK95U-W 5k2K is a powerful monitor and for me the first WUHD 21/9 monitor :

Great resolution 5120 x 2160 with 11 059 200 pixels and 163 PPi. :thumbup:

Sure.. but no Titan Ridge compatibility... :rolleyes:

No support to work neither through DP 1.4? ( nor USB C?) :

Mentioned on LG Site :
"Thunderbolt™ 3
POWERFUL and VERSATILE

Simplify setup with a single cable for video/audio plus data transfer, as well as simultaneous laptop charging. Ideal for demanding professionals, this is the most versatile Thunderbolt yet. The compact port enables 40Gbps data and high-bandwidth video, including a 4K signal to two different screens, or 5K/60fps to a single screen" ?

Attachments

• large LG 34WK95U-W 5k2K.jpg
    large LG 34WK95U-W 5k2K.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
No support to get it works neither trough DP 1,4 ? ( nor USB_C ?)

Sure, but I need to connect both my systems (x299 and x99) to the same monitor, one via TB3 the other one via DP4.

I will definitely wait for a 5K2K UWHD Titan Ridge display with additional DP1.4 port.

I am eagerly looking forward to test the GC-Titan Ridge with a fully compatible Titan Ridge monitor.

In the meanwhile I will just continue with my 38” LG 38UC99-W UWHD display, which still satisfies my needs.

In all your PCI snapshots above HDEF is missing, which has dependencies with GFX0 and HDAU.

Remove "CAVS to HDEF" ACPI replacement from config.plist (already done in the revised config.plist attached below), upload a new "PCI" snapshot and report back with a new status report concerning system functionality.

BTW.. Do you really need to check "KernelPM" and enable the "xcpm_core_scope_msrs" kernel patch in your config.plist? Your Gigabyte mainboard should have unlocked MSR register!

Also disable DP/HDMI patch and likely also F1/F2 Key patches!
Here are the files requested with all updates/ changes requested on config plist
  • CVAS -> HDEF removed
  • KernelPM disabled
  • xcpm_core_scope_msrs disabled
  • DP/HDMI patch / disabled
  • F1/F2 key patches disabled
F1 = IOREG with RX580 AML
F2 = PCI SCREENSHOT with RX580 AML
F3 = IOREG with RX580 AML ( Only 1 HDMI monitor connected )
F4 = PCI SCREENSHOT with RX580 AML ( Only 1 HDMI monitor connected )
G1 = IOREG with RX580 AML and Whatevergreen kext ( 3 monitors )
G2 = PCI SCREENSHOT with RX580 AML and Whatevergreen kext ( 3 monitors )
H1 = IOREG without RX580 AML ( or whatever green )
H2 = PCI SCREENSHOT without RX580 AML ( or whatever green )

In all configs:
No effective changes on sleep/wake status. ( Still black screen present upon wake )
Display ports are still non functionals without Whatevergreen kext. As always Thank you!

Attachments

• F1.ioreg
    16.4 MB · Views: 66
  • F2.png
    F2.png
    137 KB · Views: 96
  • F3.ioreg
    16.3 MB · Views: 72
  • F4.png
    F4.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 80
  • G1.ioreg
    16.5 MB · Views: 68
  • G2.png
    G2.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 73
  • H1.ioreg
    16.4 MB · Views: 76
  • H2.png
    H2.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 90
Here are the files requested with all updates/ changes requested on config plist
  • CVAS -> HDEF removed
  • KernelPM disabled
  • xcpm_core_scope_msrs disabled
  • DP/HDMI patch / disabled
  • F1/F2 key patches disabled
F1 = IOREG with RX580 AML
F2 = PCI SCREENSHOT with RX580 AML
F3 = IOREG with RX580 AML ( Only 1 HDMI monitor connected )
F4 = PCI SCREENSHOT with RX580 AML ( Only 1 HDMI monitor connected )
G1 = IOREG with RX580 AML and Whatevergreen kext ( 3 monitors )
G2 = PCI SCREENSHOT with RX580 AML and Whatevergreen kext ( 3 monitors )
H1 = IOREG without RX580 AML ( or whatever green )
H2 = PCI SCREENSHOT without RX580 AML ( or whatever green )

In all configs:
No effective changes on sleep/wake status. ( Still black screen present upon wake )
Display ports are still non functionals without Whatevergreen kext. As always Thank you!

I never mentioned not to use Whatevergreen.kext! We just removed it temporarily to retrieve the original ACPI configuration of your GPU implementation!

Besides SSDT-X299-RX580.aml, Whatevergreen.kext is absolutely mandatory for the proper function of your GPU ports as clearly mentioned and described in my guide! Whatevergreen.kext restricts 6 possible ports to the effective number of ports on your RX 580 (i.e. 5 ports) within the GPU ACPI implementation! Only by this your 5 GPU ports will be fully functional!

With SSDT-X299-RX580.aml, SSDT-X299-HDEF.aml and Whatevergreen.kext, GFX0, HDAU and HDEF are now properly implemented, which is clearly confirmed by both your IOREG.save and "PCI" screenshot.

BTW.. there is also an effective change on your sleep/wake status. At the beginning you claimed that your system would not sleep with SSDT-X299-Vega.aml, you remember? But sleep just failed because you failed in properly implementing SSDT-X299-Vega.aml, as you also failed in properly implementing SSDT-X299-HDEF.aml.

Now the bad news.. your black screen on wake issue seems not GPU related!

Happy bug fixing ;)...

Last edited:
I never mentioned not to use Whatevergreen.kext! We just removed it temporarily to retrieve the original ACPI configuration of your GPU implementation!

Besides SSDT-X299-RX580.aml, Whatevergreen.kext is absolutely mandatory for the proper function of your GPU ports as clearly mentioned and described in my guide! Whatevergreen.kext restricts 6 possible ports to the effective number of ports on your RX 580 (i.e. 5 ports) within the GPU ACPI implementation! Only by this your 5 GPU ports will be fully functional!

With SSDT-X299-RX580.aml, SSDT-X299-HDEF.aml and Whatevergreen.kext, GFX0, HDAU and HDEF are now properly implemented, which is clearly confirmed by both your IOREG.save and "PCI" screenshot.

BTW.. there is also an effective change on your sleep/wake status. At the beginning you claimed that your system would not sleep with SSDT-X299-Vega.aml, you remember? But sleep just failed because you failed in properly implementing SSDT-X299-Vega.aml, as you also failed in properly implementing SSDT-X299-HDEF.aml.

Now the bad news.. your black screen on wake issue seems not GPU related!

Happy bug fixing ;)...
Ok. Thanks for the help ..and wishes :lol:

Thank your for this great feedback, man :thumbup:...

Interesting that sleep/wake works on your rig with the Gigabyte Radeon™ RX VEGA 64 GAMING OC 8G, even when GC-Titan Ridge is installed and Samsung T5 portable SSD usb type c 3.1 and Samsung Stick 64 gb usb type-c are connected.

I witness black screen on wake and Error 04 on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe with my SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 and the GC-Titan Ridge with the Lacie 5TB Thunderbolt 2 or my USB stick connected. If I sleep my system without any of the two drives connected, wake usually also works flawless.

Yet I have not found any solution so far. Let me also investigate your EFI-Folder and IOREG.save, which you kindly attached to your post above...

Hi again !
I now have my SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 installed and so far it seams to work very well after sleep with all my devices connected . The only change I made in BIOS:AI Tweaker > DRAM Frequency t >Auto . I wonder if will make a difference on your machine :?:. Currently I'm still testing and I have installed only 16GB of CORSAIR Vengeance LED 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3466 (PC4 27700) . Tomorrow I'm receiving a new memory and I'll see if it will make a difference .

Hi again !
I now have my SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 installed and so far it seams to work very well after sleep with all my devices connected . The only change I made in BIOS:AI Tweaker > DRAM Frequency t >Auto . I wonder if will make a difference on your machine :?:. Currently I'm still testing and I have installed only 16GB of CORSAIR Vengeance LED 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3466 (PC4 27700) . Tomorrow I'm receiving a new memory and I'll see if it will make a difference .

You mean even with your USB devices connect to both ports of the GC-Titan Ridge during sleep? I recently discovered that also my system would properly wake from sleep with some USB connected to one of the two GC-Titan Ridge ports. However the other port also prevents wake from sleep even in case of connected USB devices. Wake from sleep with connected TB devices does not work for any fo the two ports. Do you really think that these issues relate with the actual DRAM frequency settings?

Last edited:
You mean even with your USB devices connect to both ports of the GC-Titan Ridge during sleep? I recently discovered that also my system would properly wake from sleep with some USB connected to one of the two GC-Titan Ridge ports. However the other port also prevents wake from sleep even in case of connected USB devices. Wake from sleep with connected TB devices does not work for any fo the two ports.

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 12.25.07 AM.png
Yes with my T5 in connected to GC-Titan Ridge ports and Usb 3.1 case header .

Edit: I was let the system go to sleep and waken it to see if it will wake normal . I tried with my display connected to video card directly and to GC-Titan Ridge ports and works either way.

Edit 2: Regarding the memory frequency it seams to be somehow connected . If let the memory to the frequency set by X.M.P then it won't work. Like I said I don't have a Thunderbolt 3 device to test but at least with my T5 apparently works

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 12.32.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 12.32.24 AM.png
    781.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back