Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought TB3 to dual Display Port, shall have it on Sunday and will test if i can power the 5k Dell with 1DP via Alpine Ridge.

I have mine set to Disabled as well, as it breaks sleep.

With the DP1.2 port of the alpine ridge, this will never work.

With the DP1.2 port of the alpine ridge, this will never work.
I was wrong, its 1.4

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 10.46.11 AM.png

Yes you can power your 5K display directly with one of the DP1.4 ports of the Vega, if your monitor’s DisplayPort supports DP1.4, which I doubt.

However, you will be never able to drive a 5K monitor with the DP1.2 port of the Alpine Ridge as you originally stated above.

Last edited:
Yes you can power your 5K display directly with one of the DP1.4 ports of the Vega, if your monitor’s DisplayPort supports DP1.4, which I doubt.

However, you will be never able to drive a 5K monitor with the DP1.2 port of the Alpine Ridge as you originally stated above.
No, no ill try with the Titan Ridge while i still have it.

No, no ill try with the Titan Ridge while i still have it.

Ahhh :lol:.. then yes of course ;) but does your monitor support DP1.4?

Ahhh :lol:.. then yes of course ;) but does your monitor support DP1.4?

Dell User Manual said:
To display 5120 x 2880 at 60 Hz and 30 Hz, both DP1 and DP2 must be connected. DP source’s graphics card must be DP1.2 certified and Tile display feature, capable of supporting resolution up to 5120 x 2880 at 60Hz and its driver supports DisplayID v1.3.

Ill see the results Sunday and if it works ill have to drive 2000miles to get the second 5k monitor.

Also my Nitro+ RX Radeon Vega 64 8GB shows some coil whine, when squeezed during graphic intensive tasks, although so far only under Windows.

Hi @alineliodor, it is the same for me, I hear it every time when I use the interface of Final Cut Pro X or Blender in Mac OS X. I have the feeling it was not the case from the very beginning.

Cheers

I just bought TB3 to dual Display Port, shall have it on Sunday and will test if i can power the 5k Dell with 1DP via Alpine Ridge.
I have mine set to Disabled as well, as it breaks sleep.

I have such adapter, it works provided you connect both DP input on the thunderbolt card to two DP port out the GPU.
The Dell (like the LG ultrafine or HP z27q) can only work with two DP 1.2 SST. Thunderbolt 3 can carry two SST streams at once, hence why it works using a single TB3 port. But you can only have one of such screen per TB chipset.

So the end result is the same. May as well directly connect the two DP to the screen, than connect those two DP to the thunderbolt card, which then go to a TB3-> Dual DP adapter and then into your screen.

If you connect a single DP only, the screen will offer you two different resolutions : 2560x1440 or 4K (3840x2160)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back