Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope that the Titan Ridge with its DisplayPort 1.4 support will also help in identifying your TB display as one single monitor. Curious about your results.

I seriously doubt it, the HP z27q is really just a DP1.2 display, it's the screen that is the limiting factor here.

Though the Titan Ridge manual states that you could use 3 DP 1.2 screens on a single TB3 connector. Now how you can daisy chain those DP screens unless the screens themselves support daisy chaining (and the z27q certainly doesn't, he doesn't have DP out port)

Maybe there are some kind of adapters for that. Need to search for it. Being able to add another 5K screen would be awesome, right now I can't as I've only 3 DP connectors on my vega,

There is something weird with the Titan Ridge onboard USB connector and its extension cable though, which seem mandatory for TB USB-C HotPlug.

When connecting the attached USB cable with the Titan Ridge USB header and a standard, internal USB2.0 header on my X99-A II, I observe a shortcut of the entire system.

When connecting the attached USB cable with the Titan Ridge USB header and a standard, internal USB2.0 header on my Prime X299 Deluxe, everything seems to work but there is suddenly a strong USB mouse and keyboard lag and wake from sleep breaks.

The Titan Ridge manual states that the Titan Ridge onboard USB connector should be connected with the mainboard F_USB header via the attached extension cable.

The question is if there is any difference between a standard, internal USB2.0 mainboard header and a particular F_USB mainboard header mentioned in the Titan Ridge manual?

What do you mean by shortcut? You mean it shorts the board?

I've seen case like that where when plugging some USB internal connectors the board would immediately shut-down and refuse to boot after that.

F_USB is I believe just the way GB has named their internal USB 2.0 connector.
I wonder what the USB 2 cable is for anyway... The USB-C external connector would be provided by the Titan Ridge chipset itself.

BTW, does the TB3 ports work as USB-C under macOS for you? It's one thing I've never managed to achieve with the other TB3 cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
@kgp IntelMausiEthernet latest version is: 2.4.0 its hosted on that other insane site.

Well, sure.. but it did not work with the custom Vegas. Neither in its old version under 10.13.6 nor in its updated version for 10.14.

I finally used directly Whatsevergreen.kext, which seems to work fine with all Vegas. In consequence, I also changed the recommendations in the guide.

I hope you understand now the reason why I dropped it from the guide text.

All the best,

KGP
My Vega 64 is not custom, it's the reference liquid cooled. Anyway the VegaFixup you attached in the guide don't work, whatevergreen works well. Should we try with updated Vegafixup for Mojave or just stick with whatever green?

I seriously doubt it, the HP z27q is really just a DP1.2 display, it's the screen that is the limiting factor here.

Though the Titan Ridge manual states that you could use 3 DP 1.2 screens on a single TB3 connector. Now how you can daisy chain those DP screens unless the screens themselves support daisy chaining (and the z27q certainly doesn't, he doesn't have DP out port)

Maybe there are some kind of adapters for that. Need to search for it. Being able to add another 5K screen would be awesome, right now I can't as I've only 3 DP connectors on my vega,

What do you mean by shortcut? You mean it shorts the board?

I've seen case like that where when plugging some USB internal connectors the board would immediately shut-down and refuse to boot after that.

F_USB is I believe just the way GB has named their internal USB 2.0 connector.
I wonder what the USB 2 cable is for anyway... The USB-C external connector would be provided by the Titan Ridge chipset itself.

BTW, does the TB3 ports work as USB-C under macOS for you? It's one thing I've never managed to achieve with the other TB3 cards.

As soon I plug the attached USB2.0 cable to the X99-A II onboard USB2.0 header, my Ring fans start to rotate (although slowly and with reduced led brightness) and the system turns on by itself and subsequently never turns off even if forced.

This just happens in case of the X99-A II. I do not observe this issue with my ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. However, with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, I observe a BT mouse and keyboard lag and I get black screen on wake with the Titan Ridge USB cable connected.

The Titan Ridge USB-C does not work without connecting the additional USB2.0 cable, even with a respective device connected at boot. Without USB2.0 cable, the adaptor seems TB only! At least with the THB_C connected. With THB_C and USB cables connected, I achieve both TB HotPlug and USB-C HotPlug.

Even with the Alpine Ridge, the TB3 ports also already worked as USB-C. E.g. I do have a Kanex TB3 -> HDMI adapter, which appears under DSB2 when connected and works flawless. My USB3.1 Type-C Flash Drive anyway worked from the very beginning even with the Alpine Ridge and TBEX 3.

As soon I plug the attached USB2.0 cable to the X99-A II onboard USB2.0 header, my Ring fans start to rotate (although slowly and with reduced led brightness) and the system turns on by itself and subsequently never turns off even if forced.

Maybe a better/safer procedure would be to: first, power off completely using the PSU rocker switch. Then press and hold the front panel power switch, to discharge the PSU capacitor. Only then: plug/unplug the USB to motherboard connector, or any other kind of system modifications required. Then re-enable the PSU rocker switch, and finally power on using the front panel power switch.
Some plug-in connectors are relatively safe to use while the system is powered on, such as USB 2, 3, & C, DP, HDMI, ethernet or audio cables.
Not safe: PCIe cards, PS/2, DVI, VGA, & probably any direct-to-motherboard circuit board connection.

I installed the GC-Titan Bridge Thunderbolt 3 card and it does work. However, now my PSU fan stays on. Even if I switch it off and then back on the fan comes on right away. I pinned the issue down to the USB header cable that connects the GC-Titan Ridge card to the USB header on the motherboard. I tried switching the cable around but the PSU fan still turns on. Once I remove the USB header cable the fan turns off. Thoughts? Defective GC-Titan Ridge?

Maybe a better/safer procedure would be to: first, power off completely using the PSU rocker switch. Then press and hold the front panel power switch, to discharge the PSU capacitor. Only then: plug/unplug the USB to motherboard connector, or any other kind of system modifications required. Then re-enable the PSU rocker switch, and finally power on using the front panel power switch.
Some plug-in connectors are relatively safe to use while the system is powered on, such as USB 2, 3, & C, DP, HDMI, ethernet or audio cables.
Not safe: PCIe cards, PS/2, DVI, VGA, & probably any direct-to-motherboard circuit board connection.

does not change anything at all.. issue persistent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back