Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am asking questions to try and fix this system for a videographer friend of mine.
Since I helped him in the configuration and choose the RX 580 I'd like it to work.
I did receive some good answers. I'm just saying if I'm writing here it's because I'm configuring an X299 system and not a ZsomethingCore system.

Well I guess I already answered your questions.. If somebody wants to add something.. fine with me.. although I don't know what else you want to hear.. :rolleyes:

Good luck,

KGP

I want to hear...
why building such an amazing guide that in the end relies on a SMBIOS that only supports Vega and not the many many cards AMD and Apple developed for MacOS? I think there is no more optimised card for MacOS than a RX580.
Why didn't you experiment with a MacPro SMBIOS? Just as an info.
:thumbup: thanks for the amazing guide

Thanks for the feedback. I have 2 ultrawides now, along with a 24” calibrated color grading monitor and a projection system. I don’t see myself going back to non-ultrawides as I need to have shorter monitors so I can see over the top of them to the 12’ wide projection screen. I’d like higher resolution to have more screen space so I can see more on the monitor at once.

I had a chance to work on the 2 38" for about a week and actually really liking it. I put it up very close and now can see almost everything edge to edge from one monitor to another in my peripheral vision. And don't have to move my head too much.

Very cool and it's definitely not a gimmick.

I'll churn work out with these until 5k monitors become mainstream or see what Apple does in 2019 with a Mac Pro and actual displays (if they ever get back into the game).

I actually do like glass on displays, which makes the blacks blacker.

I want to hear...
why building such an amazing guide that in the end relies on a SMBIOS that only supports Vega and not the many many cards AMD and Apple developed for MacOS? I think there is no more optimised card for MacOS than a RX580.
Why didn't you experiment with a MacPro SMBIOS? Just as an info.
:thumbup: thanks for the amazing guide

The many AMD cards for OSX? This guide is about building your own iMac Pro. And an iMac Pro does not employ a RX 580, sorry.. if you want to build a mac pro (that does not support skylake-x) with a RX 580, you are definitely in the wrong thread.. ;)

Hi KGP, I've been running my system almost flawlessly for a while (almost identical to yours except the Graphic card and the CPU) thanks to this huge work.

Though, for a few days, I fear my user session is "cursed": a kernel panic occurs within the first minute after opening, while I don't have any issue on a freshly created user session. My regular session Preference have been trashed and I have no login items any more.

My question are :
Am I posting at the right place?
Is this a place to share the KP log and get some help?

Thanks for your reply.

Hi KGP, I've been running my system almost flawlessly for a while (almost identical to yours except the Graphic card and the CPU) thanks to this huge work.

Though, for a few days, I fear my user session is "cursed": a kernel panic occurs within the first minute after opening, while I don't have any issue on a freshly created user session. My regular session Preference have been trashed and I have no login items any more.

My question are :
Am I posting at the right place?
Is this a place to share the KP log and get some help?

Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure that posting your KP log would really help? I am not really a friend of KP logs.. many times a KP log just says nothing.. and if you can‘t deduce anything from your KP log, why should I?

If the KP was due to some borked user setting wouldn‘t it be better to simply perform a clean install?

Else it could be caused by anything, e.g. also by some kext you added recently or by some BIOS setting you changed recently..

Do not really know how to help.. :rolleyes:

Are you sure that posting your KP log would really help? I am not really a friend of KP logs.. many times a KP log just says nothing.. and if you can‘t deduce anything from you KP log, why should I?

If the KP was due to some borked user setting wouldn‘t it be better to simply perform a clean install?

Else it could be caused by anything, e.g. also by some kext you added recently or by some BIOS setting you changed recently..

Do not really know how to help.. :rolleyes:

I agree with KP logs, cannot dig anything out of it!,
I'll take your advice: I think I will go for a clean install!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just updated my EFI with the latest SSDTs and patches and I have to say the new "module like" ssdt implementation is amaaaazing. Thanks a lot for your work @kgp !! :clap::clap::clap::clap::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Hi,
I have been trying to edit my DSDT and adding module SSDT but until now it always failed
How to do that?
I have edited KGP module like SSDT based on my IOREG, but I still confuse about how to put KGP SSDT (eg. SSDT-X299-Vega.aml) to my DSDT.aml
I try to copy paste but I always can't boot, it gives me error like attachment below
below also my DSDT.aml file

can anyone here help me to give me this one example how to do it (adding KGP SSD x299 Vega aml to my DSDT) ?
thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4685.jpg
    IMG_4685.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 90
  • DSDT.aml
    124.6 KB · Views: 99
Can anyone help me with a build guide? I must be missing something. I am switching my motherboard over to a Gigabyte Dessignare EX and having a *** of a time trying to get High Sierra working. Specs are i9 7900X x299 Dessignare EX and 32gb ram. Followed all the steps on the first page. I can get the installer to boot with npci=0x3000 but after it installs from usb I can't boot to hd. I have a number of errors such as "macos could not be installed on your computer resources have expired" and architecture could not be recognized. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone get this board to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back