Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said that gpus amd was not used, I say that polaris RX580 fails because FCPX is apparently using AMD's VCE (Video Coding Engine) hardware acceleration for H264 and HEVC encode / decode.

This affects not in the video editing, but it does affect in its export and from what I am reading in the support forum of apple in vega it does not happen, but with polaris yes.

As I said before I only have a fault when I export in h264 or h265(HVEC) and clarify, using RX580 Polaris Architecture. Everything else works OOB without problems.

@izo1 he is right, better for this field acquire a vega 64, less problems.

a case of many https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8231532

Xerox I'm having the exact same issue. Is there a solution to the H264 / H265 issue in FCPX?
Thanks.

Can someone give some technical advice about virtualization on this system please? At present I have VT-D disabled as per the guide. sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features yields VT-X support (obviously, since 7940x). If I want to run Windows inside a VM (Parallels or VMWare), do I need to change any specific settings? I am not interested in PCI-E passthrough.
Also, does Parallels or VMWare perform better on an x299 Hackintosh?

Thank you.
Hi @ddsmith11111993

I have tested and used both, parallels desktop and VMware fusion, on my x299 OSX and could not really see a difference in performance. In my BIOS I have enabled VT-X as well as VT-D.
As another user said, VMware is more flexible as soon as you have other platforms in use as well.
Last time I checked the price difference was April. 10 US$ !?

All the Best,
Frank

And just to add to it even in Da Vinci Resolve export to to H264 fails.
So Basically any other Radeon than the RX Vega leads to failure to export to H264 / H265?
Is there anyone here that had setup this type of hardware:
X299 platform, through a different System Profile, such as Mac Pro definition?
Or anyone that had fixed the video exporting issue related to anything AMD other than Vega?
Otherwise this is a pretty restrictive implementation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

And just to add to it even in Da Vinci Resolve export to to H264 fails.
So Basically any other Radeon than the RX Vega leads to failure to export to H264 / H265?
Is there anyone here that had setup this type of hardware:
X299 platform, through a different System Profile, such as Mac Pro definition?
Or anyone that had fixed the video exporting issue related to anything AMD other than Vega?
Otherwise this is a pretty restrictive implementation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 does not support iGPU... change to RX Radeon Vega 56/64/Frontier ;)

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 does not support iGPU... change to RX Radeon Vega 56/64/Frontier ;)
What does it mean?
Since the RX 580 is implemented in systems that have iGPU whatever App uses Apple API for transcoding video with a RX 580 looks for the missing iGPU?

Did anyone try a Mac Pro SMBIOS for X299 systems?
There must be a solution other than spending another Eu 350.

What does it mean?
Since the RX 580 is implemented in systems that have iGPU whatever App uses Apple API for transcoding video with a RX 580 looks for the missing iGPU?

Take a look here but there are issue even with iGPU :
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...support-h264-does-not-support-hevc-hw.240353/

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-released.219777/page-14

With Vega 56 / 64 :
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/high-sierra-rx-vega-final-cut-h-264-fix.233067/page-17

Thanks for your reply!!

I implemented many RX 580 with the Core platform without any issue using iGPU.
I didn't implement them NOT using iGPU.
With iGPU is a matter of using the right ig-platform-id in a connectorless mode.
As far as you know there's no solution to this? Using a Mac Pro SMBIOS?

using SMBIOS MacPro5,1 makes the HardWare acceleration for H264 /H265 work both in FXPX and Da Vinci
Any side effects in using such SMBios?

Thanks for your reply!!

I implemented many RX 580 with the Core platform without any issue using iGPU.
I didn't implement them NOT using iGPU.
With iGPU is a matter of using the right ig-platform-id in a connectorless mode.
As far as you know there's no solution to this? Using a Mac Pro SMBIOS?

If you want to sacrify SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 because of a few bugs difference between a RX 580 and RX Vega, please go ahead and change to a SMBIOS different from SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 with likely further implications on your Skylake-X/X299 system.. or are we talking about the Hackintosh system mentioned in your profile? Apparently you do not provide any Skylake-X/X299 system specs..

Last edited:
I'm referring to a X299 based on:
Asus Prima X299-A
7-7820X
32GB 3200Mhz GSkill CL16
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB SE
Noctua NH-D15
Samsung 970Evo 1TB
Corsair TX850M

This system is not mine. But I'm building it.
On my profile I have one of my own systems.

Can you clarify: "If you want to scarify SMBIOS iMacPro1,1" please? Google has a bad translation fo the word scarify.

For example should I disable the CPxx -> PRxx replacements on a SMBios like MacPro5,1?
So your advice is buying a vega. Does an Nvidia like the GTX 1060 6GB work here? This machine will be used for video work in Da Vinci and Premiere. So Nvidia is much better with Premiere. Thing is Da Vinci uses Apple video API and fails to export with the RX 580.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back