Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's quite interesting actually. I've never had Ultrawides before, let alone 2 38".

It's an insane amount of workspace, I feel like I'm working for NASA. It's basically the equivalent of 3x 27" 1440p monitors.

I have After Effects full screen on the right side and timelines/sequences on the left side....and I just CMD+TAB between Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator and so on.

It is a very weird aspect ratio for computers, but I think it would be excellent for editors since you can fit the whole timeline on a single monitor and maybe have tools etc on another.

To be honest, one 38" would be enough, but you'll probably need a 2nd 4k/5k display to proof your video if you're an editor. Something like this in attached file. He has an iMac Pro at the top and below the 38" LG.

But otherwise it's A LOT of work space having 2 of these monitors. I will find out in a few weeks if my head/eyes are strained or not.

Thanks for the feedback. I have 2 ultrawides now, along with a 24” calibrated color grading monitor and a projection system. I don’t see myself going back to non-ultrawides as I need to have shorter monitors so I can see over the top of them to the 12’ wide projection screen. I’d like higher resolution to have more screen space so I can see more on the monitor at once.

Can someone give some technical advice about virtualization on this system please? At present I have VT-D disabled as per the guide. sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features yields VT-X support (obviously, since 7940x). If I want to run Windows inside a VM (Parallels or VMWare), do I need to change any specific settings? I am not interested in PCI-E passthrough.
Also, does Parallels or VMWare perform better on an x299 Hackintosh?

Thank you.

Can someone give some technical advice about virtualization on this system please? At present I have VT-D disabled as per the guide. sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features yields VT-X support (obviously, since 7940x). If I want to run Windows inside a VM (Parallels or VMWare), do I need to change any specific settings? I am not interested in PCI-E passthrough.

Thank you.

I’ve never used VMware but I run parallels on mine and it works great. Vt-d is enabled

Only VT-X. VT-D is not supported via macOS.

The program "Parallels" uses "Vt-X". Without it, it would be very slow and unusable.

Thank you.

I use VMWare, and have for years. I used to use Parallel at a time it was slightly less expensive, however I found it over the years to be slightly less fast and not support new macOS feature as well as VMWare (like internal webcam or audio cards)

Also VMWare exists on all platforms, so I can use the VM I created on Mac on a Linux or Windows box and vice versa.
Additionally, creating a virtual drive that is a real partition is easy to do (need to play with a command line utility).

Hi all,

How to delete this?

Last edited:
No, your cooling is too weak.

I use those settings :

According to the settings and screen capabilities we must enable Baffin ( DP or Hdmi port) or Ellesmere seems more better allows user both DP or ThunderboltEX3 with USB_C.

So we know that AMD9500Controller.kext through AMDRadeonX4000.kext enable the Baffin or Ellesmere personality of the Polaris 11 line of graphics cards.
But to unlock more performance. Due to Baffin or Ellesmere GPU using no more than 16 computing units, the RX 580 is restricted at 16 CUs. The genius minds in the Mac community (okras and Fl0r!an) have found yet another workaround to enable all 36 computing units on the RX 580. This should give a nice boost in OpenCL performance.

What we need to do :
1. download this script: https://www.theitsage.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/enable-baffin-CUs.sh_.zip
2. Terminal: chmod +x enable-baffin-CUs.sh
3. Terminal: for Ellesmere sudo ./enable-baffin-CUs.sh ellesmere 36 or just for Baffin sudo ./enable-baffin-CUs.sh baffin 36
4. Reboot.

In High Sierra 10.13.6 no Whatevergreen.kext just set this in config.plist :
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>FBName</key>
        <string>Baffin</string>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <false/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>NvidiaSingle</key>
        <false/>
        <key>VideoPorts</key>
        <integer>5</integer>
    </dict>

Hi there.
I'm having 1 issue with a Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro Special Edition on a build based on this guide.
Asus Prime X299-A, i7 7820X.
The 1 issue is exporting in Final Cut Pro X using H264 / H265.
After I run the export the system reaches 20% circa then it hangs in there and the whole interface becomes very slow.
Is there a solution to this without buying a VEGA?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back