Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
All components seem to work fine, but my system have random freeze. One yesterday, and today, I worked all the day on this computer without problem, but, tonight, again a freeze at 20h30 and a second at 22H00.. By freeze, I mean, all is locked, screen, mouse, keyboard.. I must hard reboot the computer.

If someone can help me to investigate, I don't know which way to look.

Did you monitor CPU temperature. Install the Intel Power Gadget tool. If CPU temp is on higher side, then control it may be below 80c.

Yes I know, but Apple has made it very simple and has had 5k monitors/capability for a very long time compared to others.

Windows is very far behind with 5k.

Well, both the Dell and HP 5K were supported on Windows long before support was added on mac.

I think where that question matters as to the screen being made of two screens or one only is how many you can use simultaneously.

My Vega FE edition has 3 DP 1.4 ports.
Two of them are currently in use to drive my HP z27q screen. So I can only use one of those screens for lack of DP ports.

I will be able to use another of those LG 34" 5K2K as it needs a single DP cable. If it was TB3, I couldn't, TB3 is DP1.2 for now only (at least until someone release a TB3 card with the new intel TB chipset)

So it's a fair question to ask how those screens are setup.

Should, but we all know things sometimes don't go the way as expected. I just want to make sure it actually will work before I make any purchases.

I'm about to add a 2nd 38" Ultrawide will report back how it works. I don't see it will have any issues.

Should, but we all know things sometimes don't go the way as expected. I just want to make sure it actually will work before I make any purchases.

I'm about to add a 2nd 38" Ultrawide will report back how it works. I don't see it will have any issues.

Update:

Dual 38" works fine and fluid with a Vega Frontier Edition. It has plenty of RAM to run dual 3840x1600.

FYI, running at 75Hz, there is a bit of lag in Chrome and some other applications, so I went back to 60Hz via DisplayPort.

I would say, this is mostly related to macOS and the need to optimize macOS for higher refresh rates as under Windows it's smooth. Apple doesn't have any Macs or displays that have high refresh rate (unless you count a ProMotion iPad as one...)

Last edited:
New project for next week, just arrived from the USA,
GC-TITAN RIDGE from Gigabyte.

The latest Thunderbolt3 technology, I'm looking forward to it.
So far there has been TB3 Falcon Ridge, Titan Ridge should (hopefully) be supported as well. I'm curious … :)

Attachments

• IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 145
Cool. I’ll wait to hear your report on it. Thanks!

Update:

Dual 38" works fine and fluid with a Vega Frontier Edition. It has plenty of RAM to run dual 3840x1600.

FYI, running at 75Hz, there is a bit of lag in Chrome and some other applications, so I went back to 60Hz via DisplayPort.

I would say, this is mostly related to macOS and the need to optimize macOS for higher refresh rates as under Windows it's smooth. Apple doesn't have any Macs or displays that have high refresh rate (unless you count a ProMotion iPad as one...)
Great to hear! 60Hz will be fine for me. How do you like the setup overall?

sorry guys, for my noobness, but I just don't really get it how I should adopt the pci devices in corresponding .aml. Which values should I change and is there a beginner guide somewhere? Also how to make SSDTs work in general? Should I rename it from SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Nvidia.aml to SSDT.aml, does it matter?

sorry guys, for my noobness, but I just don't really get it how I should adopt the pci devices in corresponding .aml. Which values should I change and is there a beginner guide somewhere? Also how to make SSDTs work in general? Should I rename it from SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Nvidia.aml to SSDT.aml, does it matter?

See post #4806 as outlined in my guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back