Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of setting up a 2nd SSD with Sierra (well maybe I'll try Mojave first)

These Premiere Pro crashes are getting ridiculous. I got 4 system freezes lockups.

Two types of system freezes, which can easily be replicated.

1) Scrub timeline with MP4 or ProRes or RED footage.
2) Export to any codec and move the mouse continuously.

If you have a YT video playing in Chrome and exporting/scrubbing in Premiere you will have a guaranteed system lock up.
I was feeling lucky, I hadn't had one for awhile. I haven't been using Premiere to heavily lately (I export from a different machine). Then tonight, I had just finished using Premiere and was watching a YouTube video in Sarari and it locked up. The irony was that I had just thought, "Hmmm...things are going well, no lockups!"

I've been following the ultra-wide LG monitor discussion with interest. One question, since I'm unfamiliar with monitors attached to multiple ports. – Does the monitor appear as one single display, or as two distinct (e.g. left half/right half) displays in System Preferences?

I never faced any issues with the GBE1->ETH0 replacement within the SSDT.. Cannot reproduce your concerns, master Nico.. ;)

That does not have to have any obvious effects. I just wanted to emphasize that the cited code then has no function. And the developers of the ACPI certainly had a reason for that. ;)

Reactions: kgp
I've been following the ultra-wide LG monitor discussion with interest. One question, since I'm unfamiliar with monitors attached to multiple ports. – Does the monitor appear as one single display, or as two distinct (e.g. left half/right half) displays in System Preferences?

I you refer to the LG38U99-W, it of course appears as one single display in System Preferences as it is one single display.

Hi, @kgp and other experienced users,
Basic hard disk questions.
I got 2x6TB WD Gold Enterprise Class (7200 RPM) for my build. Upon installing them (no raid)HFS+ Journaled, I tested with BM speed test. Both were showing good speed (above 220 MB/ps RW. Working on a project one drive was filled up about 5TB, other one around 2TB. The project was completed but I felt my drives become slower.
Tested again and the first drive speed decreased to about 110-120 MB/ps, the other one about 160-180 MB/ps.
I deleted most data on first drive, only 300 GB left, tested again, same result only 120 MB/ps. Formatted the drive
and tested and it is back to 220 MB/ps. I know these spinning drives are not TRIM supported. Is this normal?.
If so do we need to format drives frequently?.

Also I like to put them in RAID 0 configuration, may be add one more disk, 3x6 TB.
Do I need a Raid Card for Raid 0 or simply make them Raid 0 in Mac OS Disk utility?
Please give your advise.

Mcity

Which LG? the 5K2K 34" or the 38"

My guess is that for the 5K2K it will be a single display when using DP1.4 cable, and 2 screens when using TB3 (as TB3 is DP 1.2 only at this stage)

I was feeling lucky, I hadn't had one for awhile. I haven't been using Premiere to heavily lately (I export from a different machine). Then tonight, I had just finished using Premiere and was watching a YouTube video in Sarari and it locked up. The irony was that I had just thought, "Hmmm...things are going well, no lockups!"

Yup, this is definitely related to the iMac Pro SMBIOS. I'm actually in direct contact with @pple, I will be speaking to them.

I'll have access to a real iMac Pro soon to do further testing for them.

As KGP said, it is a single monitor running at 3840x1600 (for the 38")....however it does allow dual inputs, so you can run one HDMI cable and one DisplayPort (or Dual HDMI) and you can split the monitor in half and have it show up as 2 monitors.

I don't see a need for that feature, but it's good to have, especially if you have maybe a Windows machine and a Mac next to each other to run at the same time.

But the 38" is not even a real UHD monitor, it's very close though....and a 38" Ultrawide has 20% less horizontal workspace than dual 27" 1440p monitors.

did you try with a real imac pro?

I don't have access to one yet, but there are a lot of reports of it being a problem with a real iMac Pro on Adobe forums and around other forums as well.

It's definitely related to High Sierra + iMac Pro SMBIOS.

Which LG? the 5K2K 34" or the 38"

My guess is that for the 5K2K it will be a single display when using DP1.4 cable, and 2 screens when using TB3 (as TB3 is DP 1.2 only at this stage)

TB3 supports 5k monitors without a problem....so that monitor will work fine with MacBook Pro or any TB3 capable Mac and display at full resolution.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for this amazing guide !

So, finally, I built this setup, with High Sierra 10.13.6 :

- Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
- Intel i9 7940X
- 64Go Corsair DDR4 3000 Mhz CL15
- Samsung 970 NVME 512Go
- Fractal Define R6

And I already had :

- Corsair VS650
- Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
- Nvidia GTX960

I followed the guide, except for the "cosmetic" things.

With Geekbench, I have Single-Core : 5471 and Multi-Core : 52752

All components seem to work fine, but my system have random freeze. One yesterday, and today, I worked all the day on this computer without problem, but, tonight, again a freeze at 20h30 and a second at 22H00.. By freeze, I mean, all is locked, screen, mouse, keyboard.. I must hard reboot the computer.

If someone can help me to investigate, I don't know which way to look.

Thanks !
Best,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back