Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kgp

Hi:)

Thx for your awesome guide! Maybe you could help me with my installation issues?:)
I followed your guid as good as possible but somehow the installation crashes with:
"Couldn´t allocate runtime area"

I Uploaded a picture of the issue and my EFI Folder. I really hope there is a solution to be found!

Thx for everything and best greetings,
Phil

My System:
Asus Rog Strix X299
Intel Core I9 7940
Gigabyte Gtx1080 Windforce
64gb G-Skill DDR4

Hi,

In bios select your disk about install the operation system and EFI partition.

Guide Update completed

1.) Black Screen on wake issue not caused be the current Vega system implementation but by some experimental XHC1 setup exclusively installed on my own X299 System. Neither the guide nor the formerly distributed Vega System SSDT with default XHCI implementation have been affected by this problem.

Sleep/Wake functionality fully recovered on my Vega Skylake-X/X299 System. :thumbup:

2.) Anyway note the following updates in SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Vega.aml and SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Nvidia.aml, newly attached to the originating post of this thread (guide):

a.) DTPG method outsourced from both files to SSDT-DTPG.aml and now implemented in form of external DTPG method calls within the definition blocks of both system SSDTs, as formerly already implemented in case of the SSDT-9-TB-minimal-hotplug-injector.aml. Note that it is now absolutely mandatory to add SSDT-DTPG.aml to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ also in case of the System-SSDTs!

b.) Adding THSS Intel X299 Series Thermal Subsystem Controller PCI device implementation kindly provided by @apfelnico to system SSDTs:

Code:
    Scope (\_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Device (THSS)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x00140002)  // _ADR: Address
            Name (THSS, One)
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
            {
                Store (Package (0x0C)
                    {
                        "AAPL,slot-name",
                        Buffer (0x09)
                        {
                            "Built In"
                        },

"built-in",
                        Buffer (One)
                        {
                             0x00                                 
                        },

"name",
                        Buffer (0x24)
                        {
                            "Intel X299 Series Thermal Subsystem"
                        },

"model",
                        Buffer (0x24)
                        {
                            "Intel X299 Series Thermal Subsystem"
                        },

"device_type",
                        Buffer (0x13)
                        {
                            "Thermal-Controller"
                        },

"compatible",
                        Buffer (0x0D)
                        {
                            "pci8086,a2a1"
                        }
                    }, Local0)
                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                Return (Local0)
            }
        }
    }

which also results in a new Section E.9.2.9 and a shift in the numeration of all following subsections .

3.) New EFI-Folder implementation EFI-X299-10.13.6-Release-iMacPro1,1-010918.zip

EFI-Folder related changes:

Implementation of Clover_v2.4k_r4664

4.) Implementation of v.1503 ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe iMacPro Splash Screen BIOS firmware distribution
X299D.CAP.zip

5.) SafeSleepUSB.app or Jettison.app might help in circumventing the USB ejection error during sleep/wake, see Section E.4).

The respective 10.14 PB8 guide update for iMacPro Skylake-X/X299 under Mojave also has been successfully accomplished this evening by considering all of the above mentioned points in addition.

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X299-10.13.6-Release-iMacPro1,1-010918.zip
    17.4 MB · Views: 172
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml.zip
    852 bytes · Views: 183
  • X299D.CAP.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 349
  • SafeSleepUSB.zip
    83.9 KB · Views: 176
  • SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Vega.aml.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 119
  • SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Nvidia.aml.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Ok, thanks! But it's more "compatible" than i9 / X299?

I would not know what one would miss in case one opts for Skylake-X/X299. I see only advantages..

Why one should want to exactly reproduce all disadvantages of a real iMacPro?

More unlogical questions of this kind at your side? ;)

Hi @kgp,

I know it's not recommended to use the RX 560 but that's what I currently have.

My question is regarding the SSDT - should I remove the BR2A Vega entry completely, or should I edit the name and device ID and leave it in?

It appears to work both ways, but with the edited entry, I seem to get periodic freezes that would not show up in Diagnostics Reports. The system would be completely frozen, but I could still move my mouse, but nothing else. This happens very rarely, but it would always be upon loading a video in Chrome.

I know that's not the graphics card you are using, but I figured I should ask.

Thank you and anyone that can chime in!

Hi @kgp,

My question is regarding the SSDT - should I remove the BR2A Vega entry completely, or should I edit the name and device ID and leave it in?

It appears to work both ways, but with the edited entry, I seem to get periodic freezes that would not show up in Diagnostics Reports. The system would be completely frozen, but I could still move my mouse, but nothing else. This happens very rarely, but it would always be upon loading a video in Chrome.

I guess at least you would have to remove the Vega 64 load table, isn't it? And depending on your slot configuration, you properly might have to adopt ACPI path, ACPI replacements or at least all GPU and HDAU PCI properties different from the Vega 64 or Frontier.

Ok, thanks! But it's more "compatible" than i9 / X299?

You're better off buying a real iMac Pro on sale somewhere or refurbished from the Apple store if you want to go this route.

No Hackintosh is as stable as a real Mac. Ever. There is just too many variables in a Hackintosh situation and too much troubleshooting to get it to 100% "compatibility"

The point of this guide is to:

1) Buiild a clone of the iMac Pro using more cost effective parts
2) Customization and ability to modify your system on the fly
3) Maybe have some fun while doing it

If you truly want to use workstation parts like Xeons and ECC memory, you're better off moving to Windows or like I said buying a real iMac Pro or waiting for 2019 Mac Pro.

Hi @kgp,

Can you buy a Vega 64? You spent all this money on a high end HEDT system and want to save money on the GPU...

The RX5x0 cards are better suited for the more consumer grade Coffee Lake CPUs, since they have iGPUs.

We've talked about this a lot, but there is something macOS does under the hood that hooks the RX5x0 cards and iGPU together for non iMac Pro SMBIOS....so you'd be better off either:

1) Getting a Vega 64
2) Switching to iMac SMBIOS (Forgot which the latest was).

Can you buy a Vega 64? You spent all this money on a high end HEDT system and want to save money on the GPU...

The RX5x0 cards are better suited for the more consumer grade Coffee Lake CPUs, since they have iGPUs.

We've talked about this a lot, but there is something macOS does under the hood that hooks the RX5x0 cards and iGPU together for non iMac Pro SMBIOS....so you'd be better off either:

1) Getting a Vega 64
2) Switching to iMac SMBIOS (Forgot which the latest was).

I can, but the only reason I am saving on the GPU is that I'm using my machine for music production so graphics are minimally important - or so I think.

But all of this is compelling to think about so I will have to consider it.

Reactions: kgp
I can, but the only reason I am saving on the GPU is that I'm using my machine for music production so graphics are minimally important - or so I think.

But all of this is compelling to think about so I will have to consider it.

How about a Vega 56? There seems to be some sales going around if you're in the U.S.

RX560 in general is not on any desktop Mac like the iMac....maybe give RX570/RX580 a try, you might have less issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back