Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try to increase AVX and AVX-512 offsets in BIOS as suggested in one of the recent posts?

I set AVX-512 to -5 and AVX Offset to -2, haven't done a ton of tests yet, but seems to help.

Will report back if I see any freezes.

Reactions: kgp
Kgp Thanks, is your ssdt mainboard dependent? I have another mainboard.
(Asus z370 prime A).

The SSDT is mainboard and Slot dependent! You need to adopt both ACPI path and ACPI replacements.. You can drop anything else than the HDEF, GFX0, HDAU and DTPG implementation from the SSDT. HDEF you might also have to adopt for the Asus z370 prime A.

Last edited:
Yes, I've been getting a lock up during PP export for awhile now. A lock up use to be hit or miss, but with recent updates either in macos or from the guide a lock up is almost instant when using Metal or OpenCL. I can usually get a little further with software encoding, but its still inevitable. I usually am exporting around an hours worth of DNxHD content to h264. It doesn't matter if I use Premiere Pro or AME.

I've pretty much given up on trying to troubleshoot it as it seems to definitely be Apple and Adobe related. I still do all my editing on my Mac, but use my Windows machine to export. Not ideal but it works and frees up resources on my Mac for what would normally be a 45 minute encode so I can get other things done.

I'm getting other random lockups, but the Premiere induced ones are a hard lockup and guaranteed to happen.

Really sad state with Apple and Adobe.

CC2019 is around the corner, I really hope they completely drop OpenCL since now it's depreciated in Mojave and move completely to Metal and highly optimize it for macOS....and fix this damn issue.

The SSDT is mainboard and Slot dependent! You need to adopt both ACPI path and ACPI replacements.. You can drop anything else than the HDEF, GFX0, HDAU and DTPG implementation from the SSDT. HDEF you might also have to adopt for the Asus z370 prime A.

Hi KGP,

I flashed my bios of the sapphire nitro too (I had to because original had fan spin to 100% issue). I put the switch to the back side (towards the video outputs). I think thats the secondary position as its called by sapphire. I reflashed it with the 200284 rom from Techpowerup. Its basically the same bios as yours but on the safer side regarding power usage. Is it better to reflash the 200283 bios on the secondary position to be same as yours?

Can you please help me to create a SSDT-Z370-iMacPro-Vega.aml? I don't have any idea where to start. Tell me what I have to provide? (Clover - F4 to begin with?).

Hi KGP,

I flashed my bios of the sapphire nitro too (I had to because original had fan spin to 100% issue). I put the switch to the back side (towards the video outputs). I think thats the secondary position as its called by sapphire. I reflashed it with the 200284 rom from Techpowerup. Its basically the same bios as yours but on the safer side regarding power usage. Is it better to reflash the 200283 bios on the secondary position to be same as yours?

Can you please help me to create a SSDT-Z370-iMacPro-Vega.aml? I don't have any idea where to start. Tell me what I have to provide? (Clover - F4 to begin with?).

In principle and unfortunately it is impossible to create a system specific SSDT for each user... it is simply a question of resources and time..

However, I can make an exception in your case if you send me your system DSDT and IOREG.save.. All I can do is to provide a guess starter SSDT for HDEF, GFX0 and HDAU, which you might have to optimise/finalise yourself on your system..For the HDEF implementation I would need to know our onboard audio controller specs and the Audio ID you use in line with with AppleALC.kext..

Alternatively, you could generate a kext by means of VGTab instead of using a SSDT..Just choose the suggested standard Vega 64 settings, but change IDLE speed to 1500....

Last edited:
In principle and unfortunately it is impossible to create a system specific SSDT for each user... it is simply a question of resources and time..

However, I can make an exception in your case if you send me your system DSDT and IOREG.save.. All I can do is to provide a guess starter SSDT for HDEF, GFX0 and HDAU, which you might have to optimise/finalise yourself on your system..

Alternatively, you could generate a kext by means of VGTab instead of using a SSDT..Just choose the suggested standard Vega 64 settings, but change IDLE speed to 1500....

Wonderfull. I can't deliver the files right now but I will later this day.

I had some strange experiences with VGTab but I changed more values then Idle fan speed.
What about the Power Adjustment (its defaulted @50%), Target Temp and what does Fan Sensitivity mean? I experienced with VGTab lowering the voltages to eliminate heat. I found this table where an undervolt makes a huge difference in power usage. Can I lower the core clock to @1400 -> P6+P7 and lower the volts to 1050Vcore + 1050VHBM too? See the difference in power draw in the table.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 10.30.09.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 10.30.09.png
    336.4 KB · Views: 112
Wonderfull. I can't deliver the files right now but I will later this day.

I had some strange experiences with VGTab but I changed more values then Idle fan speed.
What about the Power Adjustment (its defaulted @50%), Target Temp and what does Fan Sensitivity mean? I experienced with VGTab lowering the voltages to eliminate heat. I found this table where an undervolt makes a huge difference in power usage. Can I lower the core clock to @1400 -> P6+P7 and lower the volts to 1050Vcore + 1050VHBM too? See the difference in power draw in the table.

I did not change any other values than the IDLE fan speed.. you are of course free to investigate additional parameter changes at your own risk and responsability.. ;)

I did not change any other values than the IDLE fan speed.. you are of course free to investigate additional parameter changes at your own risk and responsability.. ;)
Ok, I will try first the bios 200283 with the IDLE to 1500 adjustment and see how it goes.

hi guys,

If anyone could help on this it would be greatly appreciated.

When i run through the instructions to create the installer to load onto the boot drive i get this error message at the end.

The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

And when i attempt to create a high sierra installer onto the USB it doesn't have an EFI folder on it for me to replace. Any ideas on whats going wrong?

would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 25

I like you to know that currently I use the MSI airboost bios. I have to flash it to 200283 however I noticed that the MSI airboost bios delivers more information. I see now also RPM of the fan which was not visible with the original Sapphire Biosses if I'm correct.

Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'
"Fan Speed(%)"=30
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1506 <---(*)
"Temperature(C)"=27

(*) See 1500 RPM idle is definitely working with VGTab. So now its just a matter of finding the optimal settings

PS. 1500RPM @idle is quite loud ....
PS2. Encoding H264 1080p to H265@ approx 65fps is that fast or too slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back