Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Thx for your nice tutorial.

Unfortunately I´m not able to install my Copy of High Sierra 10.13.6 On my Build.
The Installation stops at Error:
"Error allocating 0x125d pages at 0x00000000158e8000 alloc type2"
"Couldn´t allocate runtime area"

Maybe you know something I can do there?

best,
Phil

Asus Rog Strix X299
Intel I9 7940
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080
64Gb G-Skill Memory
m.2 SSD
2x Samsung Sata SSD

Attachments

• IMG_9462.JPG
    IMG_9462.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
General question here, is anyone using the Vega 16GB FE card, and do you have any complaints or comments on it related to the x299 build? I am considering selling my Titan X Maxwell and switching to the AMD 16gb but I'm kind of curious at what sort of endeavor it is over, say the 8gb version? I will be primarily using it for resolve.

I love the Vega FE. No problems whatsoever. It looks really good too. I removed the shroud and disconnected the yellow lights (I hate lights) and it's now dark and works well.

If you can find it for a good price, go for it.

The fact that you don't have to mess around with drivers is #1 priority for me, but the other fact is it sits between the 1080 and 1080Ti, that's a solid ok from me and will last a while.

Vega 64 8GB or Vega FE 16GB might yield you similar results in Resolve...I would go for the latter since it seems Apple might be using the same die since they also have a 16GB Vega 64 model in the iMac Pro....as Vega 64 retail only has 8GB.

Note primarily I do design work and motion graphics, so right up your alley and really like this card. Previous cards were: GTX1080, GTX980Ti (2x), RX560.

Also note that you can put a 2nd Vega FE in your system and use Resolve Studio for multiple GPUs.

Reactions: kgp
Hi,
Thx for your nice tutorial.

Unfortunately I´m not able to install my Copy of High Sierra 10.13.6 On my Build.
The Installation stops at Error:
"Error allocating 0x125d pages at 0x00000000158e8000 alloc type2"
"Couldn´t allocate runtime area"

Maybe you know something I can do there?

best,
Phil

Asus Rog Strix X299
Intel I9 7940
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080
64Gb G-Skill Memory
m.2 SSD
2x Samsung Sata SSD

Please post your EFI zip.

Are you using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and not any other Aptio fix? (The zip in 1st post has all the necessary kexts and .efi files to get you started)
Also CsrActiveConfig should be set to 0x67 on config.plist

Reactions: kgp
Hi KGP, I'm snuggling to get my Nitro+ 64 under control in macOS. I think the VGTab is not completely correctly creating the tables. It has impact with VegaTab_64.kext in clover kexts but sometimes the fans spin drom idle to something let say 70-80% max. Can you tell me what is best practice to use the Nitro+ (just air) to get it optimal running in my system? I have a little week to possibly sent it back but the Vega is compared to the nVidia card I had heaven ... well if I can manage the fan issue. Please help.

Why don't you simply use the load table implemented in the actual version of my SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Vega.aml, attached to my guide in the originating post of this thread? It perfectly works in my case and is already optimised...

Note that I also changed the Nitro+ Vega 64 firmware to https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/200283/200283 (at BIOS jumper position 1). Don't forget to backup the original firmware, in case you return it to the seller! This thread might provide additional information in this context: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-polaris-vega-gpu-macos-support.2083168/.

Good luck,

KGP

@kgp for some reason i can't even get the latest High Sierra OS to install. i attempt to install via Clover USB; the Apple logo shows up, then i run into their "Prohibitory" Symbol [ Ø ].

Any help with my issues would be fantastic!
Thanks in advance -Raider Dave

@kgp for some reason i can't even get the latest High Sierra OS to install. i attempt to install via Clover USB; the Apple logo shows up, then i run into their "Prohibitory" Symbol [ Ø ].

Any help with my issues would be fantastic!
Thanks in advance -Raider Dave

Did you adopt and add TSCAdjustReset.kext to my EFI-Folder as outlined in my guide? Also please boot with boot flag -v!

If the latter does not help, please upload your EFI-Folder + screenshots of your BIOS settings!

Good luck,

KGP

Hey friends, just bumping for some help with Premiere Pro CC2018 and the X299 Hackintosh (in signature).

The system basically freezes during export to ProRes or other codecs (incl. H264).

I can move the mouse, but have to hard reboot since it's a complete stall.

Is there any logs I should look out for? Any help appreciated.
Yes, I've been getting a lock up during PP export for awhile now. A lock up use to be hit or miss, but with recent updates either in macos or from the guide a lock up is almost instant when using Metal or OpenCL. I can usually get a little further with software encoding, but its still inevitable. I usually am exporting around an hours worth of DNxHD content to h264. It doesn't matter if I use Premiere Pro or AME.

I've pretty much given up on trying to troubleshoot it as it seems to definitely be Apple and Adobe related. I still do all my editing on my Mac, but use my Windows machine to export. Not ideal but it works and frees up resources on my Mac for what would normally be a 45 minute encode so I can get other things done.

I'm getting other random lockups, but the Premiere induced ones are a hard lockup and guaranteed to happen.

Yes, I've been getting a lock up during PP export for awhile now. A lock up use to be hit or miss, but with recent updates either in macos or from the guide a lock up is almost instant when using Metal or OpenCL. I can usually get a little further with software encoding, but its still inevitable. I usually am exporting around an hours worth of DNxHD content to h264. It doesn't matter if I use Premiere Pro or AME.

I've pretty much given up on trying to troubleshoot it as it seems to definitely be Apple and Adobe related. I still do all my editing on my Mac, but use my Windows machine to export. Not ideal but it works and frees up resources on my Mac for what would normally be a 45 minute encode so I can get other things done.

I'm getting other random lockups, but the Premiere induced ones are a hard lockup and guaranteed to happen.

Did you try to increase AVX and AVX-512 offsets in BIOS as suggested in one of the recent posts?

Did you try to increase AVX and AVX-512 offsets in BIOS as suggested in one of the recent posts?
No, playing catch up on posts, still a few pages back. I'll look for it. Thank you.

Why don't you simply use the load table implemented in the actual version of my SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Vega.aml, attached to my guide in the originating post of this thread? It perfectly works in my case and is already optimised...

Note that I also changed the Nitro+ Vega 64 firmware to https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/200283/200283 (at BIOS jumper position 1). Don't forget to backup the original firmware, in case you return it to the seller! This thread might provide additional information in this context: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-polaris-vega-gpu-macos-support.2083168/.

Good luck,

KGP

Kgp Thanks, is your ssdt mainboard dependent? I have another mainboard.
(Asus z370 prime A).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back