Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey friends, just bumping for some help with Premiere Pro CC2018 and the X299 Hackintosh (in signature).

did you switch adobe suite to metal? OpenCL has software problem at this moment

did you switch adobe suite to metal? OpenCL has software problem at this moment

Yeah I thought that was the issue, but switched to Metal and tried Software Only as well.

I made another separate thread but no one has an answer. It seems related to the iMac Pro SMBIOS.

Yeah I thought that was the issue, but switched to Metal and tried Software Only as well.

Could be a AMD / VEGA issue. No problem here with Nvidia. Tested with Cuda, Open CL and SW Only also.

Hey friends, just bumping for some help with Premiere Pro CC2018 and the X299 Hackintosh (in signature).

The system basically freezes during export to ProRes or other codecs (incl. H264).

I can move the mouse, but have to hard reboot since it's a complete stall.

Is there any logs I should look out for? Any help appreciated.

No problems in "process selection" and "export media" in both OpenCL, Metal and Cuda with Nvidia 1080ti SLI. I'm going to open a thread because I have obtained 25% more performance in CUDA, 80% more performance with METAL but with OpenCL there are no advantages, the second graph is not used, however, in High Sierra 10.13.2 yes that I got 80-90% more performance in OpenCL, I do not know what changed, I do not know if this is a problem with the OSX version or the Nvidia drivers.

All,

please let me provide below some brief SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Vega.aml update..

While the latter AML automatically and successfully implements all available ports on the Gigabyte Vega 64 (3x HDMI, 3x DP), including multi-monitor support and display hot plug, there seem to remain DP-port issues (black screen) when employing this AML on Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 (2x HDMI, 2xDP) or ASUS Strix Vega 64 (2x HDMI, 2x DP, 1x DVI) GPUs, which only can be removed by adding Whatevergreen.kext v.1.2.1.. Within such configuration, multi-monitor support and display hot plug can be fully achieved also in case of the latter custom Vegas (both 10.13.6 and 10.14 PB8). A fall-back to @apfelnico 's Kamarang frame buffer SSDT implementation does not provide any valuable solution for these kind of custom Vegas.. The current AML restriction might appear with all Vegas possessing less than 6 physical ports..

Currently I am facing one remaining issue with the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 under both 10.13.6 and 10.14 PB8:

Black Screen on Wake..

Cheers,

KGP

I've now managed to put together my build mentioned in #10015 without blowing all fuses in the neighborhood.

Visually, I think it's already almost indistinguishable from a genuine Mac :D Now, the big question in the upcoming days and weeks will be: can I get kgp's work to run on it…

IMG_0565.jpg

The system basically freezes during export to ProRes or other codecs (incl. H264).

I can move the mouse, but have to hard reboot since it's a complete stall.

Is there any logs I should look out for? Any help appreciated.

I've built two of these machines based on this guide. Both match my profile. Both machines had the same issue, I fixed by increasing the AVX offset.

Could be a AMD / VEGA issue. No problem here with Nvidia. Tested with Cuda, Open CL and SW Only also.

Seems related to iMac Pro SMBIOS + Vega (maybe).

There's some threads out there about this:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2453329
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2435178

No problems in "process selection" and "export media" in both OpenCL, Metal and Cuda with Nvidia 1080ti SLI. I'm going to open a thread because I have obtained 25% more performance in CUDA, 80% more performance with METAL but with OpenCL there are no advantages, the second graph is not used, however, in High Sierra 10.13.2 yes that I got 80-90% more performance in OpenCL, I do not know what changed, I do not know if this is a problem with the OSX version or the Nvidia drivers.

Thank you for testing!

From my previous experience with CUDA, it's definitely faster than all the other options. However, CUDA drivers for me were always buggy on macOS (I would get random glitches and green glitches all over the screen). Mind you the last NVIDIA card I had was a 1080 and 980Ti...maybe new CUDA drivers have fixed that, which I really doubt.

Glad it doesn't crash for you.

I've built two of these machines based on this guide. Both match my profile. Both machines had the same issue, I fixed by increasing the AVX offset.

That's brilliant and would love to try it.

Which offset setting are you using?

Also do you think it's worth turning off AVX if it's possible at all? This freeze is driving me insane.

If PProCC2018 really crashes on a real iMac Pro too [which many people have reported] (which has the latest W class Xeon processor) and it's related to AVX, then Apple needs to fix it too. I would love to report it to Apple.

https://ark.intel.com/products/125042/Intel-Xeon-W-2155-Processor-13_75M-Cache-3_30-GHz

This is one of the CPUs iMac Pro uses and it has AVX. (Albeit their's is monikered Class B, which is a special downclocked SKU)

EDIT:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/imac-pro.html

If anyone is willing, please submit iMac Pro feedback regarding this Premiere Pro system freeze with Vega.

This will help us in the Hackintosh community too to make iMac Pro SMBIOS/macOS less buggy :D

Last edited:
Well, apparently the Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 Gaming OC 8GB behaves anything then straight.

1.) @apfelnico 's Vega SSDT did not work at all, not even after careful adaptation. I had to come up with a new SSDT (see attachment) to properly implement all 6 ports (3x DP, 3x HDMI).

View attachment 339958

2.) Yet I was not able to successfully implement a "PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable" or "MyRadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext" to dominate the fan speed issue (fan always at max. rotation) or to further increase it's performance. In both cases the fans stopped working.

3.) Last but not least, your new VegaGraphicsfixup.kext for 10.14 did not improve the HDMI black screen issue when returning from a powered-off display under PB1. There is also a HDMI and DP black screen issue when returning from system sleep at least under 10.13.6 PB5 and 10.14 PB1 . Also Whatevergreen.kext did no bring any solution..

4.) Finally, also this card has a DP 1.4 3860x1600 pix boot screen resolution problem (VGA only) when connecting to my LG 38UC99-W (DP 1.2 only). Via HDMI, the LG 38UC99-W runs @30 HZ under 10.13. However, 10.14 seems the remove the latter issue (again 60 Hz).

I spent nearly 5 days in trying to fix the individual issues with more or less success.

I finally decided to return the Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 Gaming OC 8GB and go for Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 implementations on both my X99 and X299 systems. While on X99, the Nitro+ will remain unmodified with it's airflow implementation (3-slot solution), I will water block the Nitro+ for my X299 system (Bykski Water block from AliExpress).

Now to wait until newly purchased hardware arrives. The Bykski Water block will come from China (7-15 days shipment). The Nitros will arrive within 3-5 days..

Hi KGP, I'm snuggling to get my Nitro+ 64 under control in macOS. I think the VGTab is not completely correctly creating the tables. It has impact with VegaTab_64.kext in clover kexts but sometimes the fans spin drom idle to something let say 70-80% max. Can you tell me what is best practice to use the Nitro+ (just air) to get it optimal running in my system? I have a little week to possibly sent it back but the Vega is compared to the nVidia card I had heaven ... well if I can manage the fan issue. Please help.

General question here, is anyone using the Vega 16GB FE card, and do you have any complaints or comments on it related to the x299 build? I am considering selling my Titan X Maxwell and switching to the AMD 16gb but I'm kind of curious at what sort of endeavor it is over, say the 8gb version? I will be primarily using it for resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back