Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that's interesting, did I overlook that?
Which USB device on which port does work without sleep/wake ejection?

For test purposes I bought a SanDisk USB 3.1 (I think...) Type C pendrive,
but it was ejected the same way as all other devices when it was plugged into the rear USB-C port of the ASUS Prime Deluxe motherboard.
:eek:
In IOReg it was activated as one of the SS0x ports (I forgot which and am away from my machine for one week.)

Did I misunderstand something?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Well I am unable to check this now as I do have sleep/wake practically disabled on my system due to my SSDT-9.aml constructions..

But I do not remember that I ever faced USB ejection issues during sleep on the USB3.1 controllers...

Yes, that is how I always setup my Macs. I set a 1 minute screen saver to lock as well.

As far as sleep, I can go to Apple > Sleep and it works fine. I haven't fully tested auto sleep, but I can when I free up a little bit.

Yeah I do too, but I have like 13 USB devices plugged in, and comparing my system to yours is like comparing apples to time machines. That said, If I sleep, I sometimes get a kernel panic and reboot. Not always though, but I don't take the chance, just sleep the displays.

Yeah I do too, but I have like 13 USB devices plugged in, and comparing my system to yours is like comparing apples to time machines. That said, If I sleep, I sometimes get a kernel panic and reboot. Not always though, but I don't take the chance, just sleep the displays.

Just curious, why do you need to have it go to sleep?

When a PC idles, it doesn't eat up that much power anyway. Just make sure to use high quality fans in the case (or good liquid cooling if you go that route) and you should be fine for years.

We used to have like 50 of the cheese grater Mac Pros and they were always on and we just let the display sleep after 5 mins and they worked fine for years.

I like it when I sit down and the system wakes up with a move of the mouse/wacom tablet or a keyboard key stroke.

Hackintoshes are always going to be buggy when it comes to sleep anyway.

As far as USB devices go, I use the old 27" Apple Cinema Displays (dual) and they have built in USB2.0 hubs...so I basically have at least 6-7 USB devices connected at all times including hubs.

Last edited:
My system has been chugging along pretty well for the past 7 months. Lately I've been experiencing a lot more lock ups. In the past it was usually just when I was encoding a video with Adobe Media Encoder. But in the last 24 hours I've had 3 lock ups and I was doing nothing more than browsing a web page and playing a video in VLC. After the second lock up today I decided I should try bringing my system up to date with the guide. To test it out I encoded a video using AME with not problems. Then I ended up having another lockup doing nothing more than watching a video in VLC again a few hours later.

When it locks up it doesn't always produce a kernel panic.

Attached are the last couple that were caught.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give! Let me know what additional information I can provide.

This is a known issue with Adobe stuff and (real) iMac Pro and OpenCL.

Switch to Metal in Premiere Pro and Media Encoder and problems might go away.

I have had issues with software that use "hardware acceleration" too and my system locks up sometimes....but the switch to Metal helped even though its slower than OpenCL.

I haven't had lockups with VLC or anything....try using IINA instead.

Also do you have Shiki.kext or anything installed?

I have had issues with software that use "hardware acceleration" too and my system locks up sometimes....but the switch to Metal helped even though its slower than OpenCL.

I did use Metal on my last encode with Media Encoder. It worked fine other than Media Encoder hanging after it was finished encoding. A force quit took care of that.

I do not have Shiki.kext installed. Are you asking because you think I ought to have it installed, or to make sure I don't have it installed as it could be causing problems?

I never use sleep either. Just shut it down. It doesn't take that long to start up anyway.

I did use Metal on my last encode with Media Encoder. It worked fine other than Media Encoder hanging after it was finished encoding. A force quit took care of that.

I do not have Shiki.kext installed. Are you asking because you think I ought to have it installed, or to make sure I don't have it installed as it could be causing problems?

This is a known issue with the iMac Pro and most likely related to the Vega FE we are both using and the official iMac Pro is using.

Read all the complaints here:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2453329

People are seeing full system hangs. Even with Metal.

As far as Shiki, I was just curious to see if you are using it, if not then you don't need it. I use it, but I tried without it and same issues.

I'm hoping it will be fixed in CC2019. You should email Adobe support to fix this, I have a few times already.

Maybe switch to Software Only in AME for now? It's slower, but at least it doesn't hang.

BTW, are you using more than 1 monitor?

I use dual 27" Apple Cinema Displays at 2560x1440 it may be related to dual monitors....

Last edited:
This is a known issue with the iMac Pro and most likely related to the Vega FE we are both using and the official iMac Pro is using.

Read all the complaints here:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2453329

People are seeing full system hangs. Even with Metal.

As far as Shiki, I was just curious to see if you are using it, if not then you don't need it. I use it, but I tried without it and same issues.

I'm hoping it will be fixed in CC2019. You should email Adobe support to fix this, I have a few times already.

Maybe switch to Software Only in AME for now? It's slower, but at least it doesn't hang.

BTW, are you using more than 1 monitor?

I use dual 27" Apple Cinema Displays at 2560x1440 it may be related to dual monitors....
Thanks for the link regarding Premiere issues!
I've been using a Windows machine to encode. With a 8086k running Windows 10 it is able to encode faster than my hackintosh with a 7900x. I can only hope Adobe makes some progress on both stability and performance.

I am using 3 Benq pd3200u monitors.

Yet I am missing a post with a respective code snippet published for the i9-7940X to be linked within my guide, as @4min only uploaded IOREG snapshots of the resulting PRxx CPU thread implementation ..
What's wrong with the post #9896?

Thanks for the link regarding Premiere issues!
I've been using a Windows machine to encode. With a 8086k running Windows 10 it is able to encode faster than my hackintosh with a 7900x. I can only hope Adobe makes some progress on both stability and performance.

I am using 3 Benq pd3200u monitors.

Premiere/AME works way better under Windows and a CUDA enabled Quadro (or a 1080Ti/Titan Xp)...it just does.

Also your 8086 (aka better binned 8700k) has an Intel iGPU, which latest editions of Premiere/AME takes advantage of (note the Hardware option now available under AME).

The real iMac Pro or even the x299 Hackintosh does not have an iGPU and a 8700k will beat H264 encoding on any competing machine.

I have a question for you, could you disconnect ALL your monitors and try what you're doing with a single monitor?

I'm going to test this on my end as well.

I have noticed that my system the way it is, if I export straight to another codec and not H264, like ProRes 422 HQ or some other codec that's NOT H264, the machine will never hang. It's definitely macOS/Adobe/Vega related.

I had never had a crash in my previous 6700k Hackintosh during encodes to H264...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back