Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major guide update completed

In preparation of the official 10.13.5 release (I guess to be expected within the next hours), I already implementation most recent technical achievements, i.e. 10-Gbit LAN implementations, further TB-SSDT development, DSDT ACPI CPU Core reordering and renaming CPxx -> PRxx.

EFI-Folder related modifications:
  • Implementation of Clover Boot Loader Clover_v2.4k_r4509.pkg
  • config.plist: revision/modification/partial elimination of former DSDT ACPI replacements, adding reordering and renaming CPxx -> PRxx DSDT ACPI replacements for i9-7980XE.
  • HibernationFixup.kext (Lilu.kext plugin) added to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/

Guide related modifications:
  • Revision/modification of Section "Introduction"
  • Revision/modification of "Table of Contents"
  • Revision/modification of Section E.8.) - Gbit and 10-Gbit Ethernet Implementations
  • Revision/modification of Section E.8.2) 10-Gbit LAN Implementations
  • Adding Sections: E.8.2.1) ASUS XG-C100C Aquantia AQC107 10-Gbit NIC; E.8.2.2) Intel X540-T1 10-Gbit NIC; E.8.2.3) Small-Tree P2EI0G-2T 10-Gbit NIC; E.8.2.4) NetGear ProSave XS508M 8-port 10-Gbit Switch; E.8.2.5) QNAP TS-431X2 Quad-core 4-Bay NAS tower; E.8.2.6) 10-GBit Ethernet Optimisation
  • Revision/modification of Section E.9) ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe PCI Device Implementation
  • Revision/modification of Section E.9.1) ACPI DSDT Replacement Implementation
  • Revision/modification of Section E.9.2) SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml PCI Implementation
  • Adding new Section E.9.3) SSDT-X299-TB3-iMacPro-KGP.aml PCI Implementation
New EFI-Folder distribution EFI-X299-10.13.4-SU-Release-iMacPro1,1-310518.zip, modified KGP-iMacPro-XHCI-kext, modified SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml and new SSDT-X299-TB3-iMacPro-KGP.aml attached to the originating post of this thread (guide).

Enjoy and have fun,

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X299-10.13.4-SU-Release-iMacPro1,1-310518.zip
    17.1 MB · Views: 113
  • SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 94
  • SSDT-X299-TB3-iMacPro-KGP.aml.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 95
I tried the EFI folder you sent and still no luck. The boot gets halted in the same location.

I searched through the entire guide and could find no reference to "VoodooTSCSync.kext" or "TSCResetAdjust.kext" I'm not sure what it is or how to modify it. Is this part of another guide that I should be following too? Sorry I'm a complete noob in this area and thank you again for the help.

Looks like you and I are in the same boat!

Yes, and like you I had the same idea: I just managed to sort of resolve this issue by patching again my mobo.

But now I'm in the same boat as nachosband (post #8061). Never ending story.

Hi KGP!

Thank you very much for all this work and the new update.
You're the Man, really!

Now my machine is working but I have one issue left.
My rx Vega 64 is running at full speed making lots of noise, and have red sort of alert lights, like nachosband (post #8061)

Anyone with a Vega 64 has managed to fix the card always working at max? Gif attached

https://gph.is/2GYXMu9

I must say that, even though I have a rx Vega 64, I had to use Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to make my screen works.
Without them: blank screen. I have to force quit.
I also put VegaGraphicsFixup kext, wich seems to help a little bit, but the fast running fan came back.

Last thing, I never had the specific AMD "Whoosh" sound at the end of the boot.
So, I guess something is not implemented concerning AMD GPUs.

In my x99, it's working just fine, with the "Whoosh" followed by a dead beautiful silence.

So, KGP or anyone else to help us with that?

Hi KGP!

You're the Man, really!

My rx Vega 64 is running at full speed making lots of noise, and have red sort of alert lights, like nachosband (post #8061)

I must say that, even though I have a rx Vega 64, I had to use Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to make my screen works.
I also put VegaGraphicsFixup kext, wich seems to help a little bit, but the fast running fan came back.

In my x99, it's working just fine, with the "Whoosh" followed by a dead beautiful silence.

Do you use VegaGraphicsFixup.kext with Lilu.kext? Did you try to implement @apfelnico's Vega SSDT part?

I just gained some experience with a Vega Frontier Liquid Water. Thus, else I might not be of much help in your fan issue.

Nevertheless... to drive a natively implemented rx Vega 64 with Whatevergreen.kext sounds totally weird to me. The combination of Whatsevergreen.kext and VegaGraphicsFixup.kext might be even mortal.

Most people including myself just use VegaGraphicsFixup.kext with Lilu.kext to support the else native implemented Vegas. And usually, this combinations works also flawless.

Cheers,

KGP

Hi KGP!

You're the Man, really!

The fan issue is known with Vega 64 there's various threads about it.

VegaGraphicsFixup.kext + Lilu.kext is all you need with 10.13.4.

Hopefully 10.13.5 (I am not on the beta) fixes this issue (or even 10.13.6).

It has to do with the AMD driver in macOS and the fan curve. Some people on other forums have made kexts to control this, but with my Vega FE it made it worse. I took it out for now.

Give this kext a try to see if it helps with the Vega 64. If not, remove it.

Try running a GPU benchmark like Valley while you see what happens with the fans.

Use this command in Terminal to see your GPU Thermals and Fan speeds:

Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

1. Run this on fresh booth and take note on idle speeds.
2. Start Valley and run as benchmark.
3. Run the command again and see what happens. If the spans kick in really hard then you shouldn't use this kext.

I would also do the above without the kext to take note of what happens during idle and during load.

Solution #2:

I don't prefer this one, but you can drag a .mp4 file (H264) into your login items and hit hide. Upon bootup Quicktime will open and the file will open and the fans speeds will be lowered.

Attachments

• RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 106
Thank you very much KGP and Izo1 for your help

Do you use VegaGraphicsFixup.kext with Lilu.kext? Did you try to implement @apfelnico's Vega SSDT part?

I just gained some experience with a Vega Frontier Liquid Water. Thus, else I might not be of much help in your fan issue.

Nevertheless... to drive a natively implemented rx Vega 64 with Whatevergreen.kext sounds totally weird to me. The combination of Whatsevergreen.kext and VegaGraphicsFixup.kext might be even mortal.

Most people including myself just use VegaGraphicsFixup.kext with Lilu.kext to support the else native implemented Vegas. And usually, this combinations works also flawless.

Cheers,

KGP

I just tried VegaGraphicsFixup.kext with Lilu.kext only and it doesn't work. It's even worst, with a new sound very loud in a lower frequency. I hope I didn't kill my GPU by using Whatevergreen and VegaGraphicsFixup kexts in the same time.

About the SSDT, it's something that I don't understand. SSDT's things it's totally difficult for me. I don't know how to deal with that.
With my x99 hackintosh, to make it installed, boot and work, I experienced a real nightmare until I threw away the SSDT. After that, everything worked nicely.

So, since, I never get close to any SSDT file.

If you know a web page or article or thread that explain what is SSDT and how to use it and get them, I will be more than interested to learn. I tried, but without success at the time of building my x99 which was my first hackintosh and also my first PC build ever.

This x299 is simply my second PC build and hackintosh. So, I'm a newbie.

But again big thank you KGP for everything you bring.

The fan issue is known with Vega 64 there's various threads about it.

VegaGraphicsFixup.kext + Lilu.kext is all you need with 10.13.4.

Hopefully 10.13.5 (I am not on the beta) fixes this issue (or even 10.13.6).

It has to do with the AMD driver in macOS and the fan curve. Some people on other forums have made kexts to control this, but with my Vega FE it made it worse. I took it out for now.

Give this kext a try to see if it helps with the Vega 64. If not, remove it.

Try running a GPU benchmark like Valley while you see what happens with the fans.

Use this command in Terminal to see your GPU Thermals and Fan speeds:

Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

1. Run this on fresh booth and take note on idle speeds.
2. Start Valley and run as benchmark.
3. Run the command again and see what happens. If the spans kick in really hard then you shouldn't use this kext.

I would also do the above without the kext to take note of what happens during idle and during load.

Solution #2:

I don't prefer this one, but you can drag a .mp4 file (H264) into your login items and hit hide. Upon bootup Quicktime will open and the file will open and the fans speeds will be lowered.

Izo1 thank you too again for these explanations.

As I just wrote, VegaGraphicsFixup.kext + Lilu.kext only make it worst for me. The other kexts that you are talking about made by some people on other forums, I will try to find them. If you have some links, it will be appreciated. If it's not easy for you, don't bother yourself with that.

I will try your command asap to see.

Your solution #2 looks like something I did notice and used to get the GPU to slow down: I simply launched some videos on YouTube and strangely the rx Vega became quieter. So each time, I was using this trick; but it doesn't satisfying me in a long term.

Do you know if it helps to update the rx Vega driver in Windows10?

Thanks a lot again.

Thanks to you two :)

MacOS High Sierra - The Final Cut - 10.13.6 Public Beta 1 (17G31f)

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 01.18.29.png

Enjoy and have fun,

kgp.png

I just tried VegaGraphicsFixup.kext with Lilu.kext only and it doesn't work. It's even worst, with a new sound very loud in a lower frequency. I hope I didn't kill my GPU by using Whatevergreen and VegaGraphicsFixup kexts in the same time.

About the SSDT, it's something that I don't understand. SSDT's things it's totally difficult for me. I don't know how to deal with that.
With my x99 hackintosh, to make it installed, boot and work, I experienced a real nightmare until I threw away the SSDT. After that, everything worked nicely.

If you know a web page or article or thread that explain what is SSDT and how to use it and get them, I will be more than interested to learn. I tried, but without success at the time of building my x99 which was my first hackintosh and also my first PC build ever.

As I just wrote, VegaGraphicsFixup.kext + Lilu.kext only make it worst for me. The other kexts that you are talking about made by some people on other forums, I will try to find them. If you have some links, it will be appreciated. If it's not easy for you, don't bother yourself with that.

Your solution #2 looks like something I did notice and used to get the GPU to slow down: I simply launched some videos on YouTube and strangely the rx Vega became quieter. So each time, I was using this trick; but it doesn't satisfying me in a long term.

Thanks a lot again.

See post #4852!

I guess that's the most explicit example for SSDT editing you can find on Web.. ;):lol:

Sometimes I would wish that people also read my guide. I don't know what for I am writing up all that stuff if nobody reads it finally ;) ..

Good luck,

KGP

See post #4852!

I guess that's the most explicit example for SSDT editing you can find on Web.. ;):lol:

Sometimes I would wish that people also read my guide. I don't know what for I am writing up all that stuff if nobody reads it finally ;) ..

Good luck,

KGP

Hi @kgp

you are writing for people like me ;)
It was your guide that convinced me to try my first hackintosh.
My MOBO (or better to say the bios on it) was not really helping me due to very limited setting options.

Yes I needed some time and had to read your guide (and all 800+ following pages) several times but I finally got it working.
Never the less, let us be fair, the part with the SSDTs is not the easiest to grasp for a newbie like me. :lol:

For those who are struggling like I did: kgs's most important advise on SSDT editing often gets overlooked:
Do it one step after the other, test each step and only after it works go for the next one.
Sorry @kgp if that is not the exact wording ;)

Thanks a lot for all the effort on the guide @kgp
Thanks to all the others who contribute and support kgp

All the Best
Frank

Reactions: kgp

Thanks a lot again.

As always you're on your own on anything like Hackintoshes, but kexts aren't going to damage your hardware.

VegaGraphicsFixup.kext enables your secondary ports on the Vega, that's all it does. If you have one monitor you do not need VegaGraphicsFixup.kext. You don't even need Lilu (unless you use it to pair with other kexts).

I would say, get a nice case and make sure it has good noise dampening. I have a Meshify C and it dampens the noise well even if there's a big grille in the front.

There's a few threads on this forum that talk about this issue. Here's one of them.

This is just a guess, as I do not have a Vega 64/56 GPU, but it SEEMS to me that from all the reading, Vega Frontier Edition has the fan issue as well but it's not as bad as Vega 64/56. I can't be for certain why, because Vega FE is basically a Vega 64 with more HBM2 RAM and in a "Professional" category (as it has pro drivers under Windows).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back