Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loloflat6_TB3_15_04_2018_2.png
Today get my TB3 fully implemented on PCi

Last edited:
Haven't had a chance to update my X299USB.kext with USB-C. I'll be getting a USB-C device soon so will keep this updated.

Broadcom BT module has to be 255 or else you will have issues. macOS needs to see it as an "onboard" device because you are using PCIID_Broadcom.kext to fake the card (wifi portion) to be an AirPort card. I had issues when it was set to 0 instead of 255 (for BT) since it uses USB and not PCIe like the Wifi portion of the card..

Did you take a look at my latest X299USB.kext? Even though it's for Designare EX (based on DSM2's original file) it should show how to match ports properly.

Basically what I did was get USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 device and one by one went with USB 3.0 and checked which port is what then went again with USB 2.0 device to make HS and SSP properly match the ports.

The only things I have left to perfect/test is USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 (Good thing Designare EX has it on board).
I just don't have USB-C and TB3 devices in possession at the moment.

So, interestingly, when I had set the HS entry where the broadcom BT card appears (HS14) with the UsbConnector value of 255, it had worked superbly on first reboot (all my BT devices reconnected automatically). However, this is no longer the case: while the BT card is seen, it can't see any devices and no devices can see the mac either.

When I set it to 0, other devices can see the mac, but the mac can't see anything (though I can pair the mac just fine)...

With no kext at all, it works perfectly (can see BT devices on the mac, and the devices can see the mac).
This is the Info.plist I use for the ASRock Gaming Professional

Attachments

• Info.plist
    4.4 KB · Views: 197
It's definitely not the GPU. You need to thin out your EFI. Remove all SSDT and DSDT if they're there. Remove all the kexts except fakeSMC, TSC sync and your network kext.
Remove all of the stuff in clover except npci is 0x2000 and verbose boot.
Remove your windows hard drive if you have one.
Make sure your bios is set as per this guide.
Try another USB port. Try all of them. Actually do this first. Quite often some of the USB ports crap out at some point in the boot sequence if you're running the wrong USB kext.
Good luck in your quest. :p
Well, I found the problem: I was using the LG 5K Ultrafine via my dual-port TB3 card. I tried switching to my LG 32" 4K display, and then it worked fine --- no more black screen.

Why you did that ? If you ask me I would just unmount the plastic cover and thats it.
I never would lose the warranty that kind but unfortunately its not my beer.

It also serves as a fan shroud. There is a little fan under it. Didn't want to mess up the air flow. I doubt Gigabyte will invalidate my warranty for making a hole in plastic. At worst, I might have to buy another shield/hood

Mayor breaktrough: Running Nvidia 1080 in Windows and AMD Vega in OSX on the same system

Folks, you know I have been searching for a solution to run a Nvidia GFX in Windows and ignoring this card in OSX, while using a AMD Vega card in OSX. Both cards have their respective benefits in each OS. I was simply not able booting into OSX with both cards installed in the computer.

How did I solve it?

I am running the AMD Vega Frontier Edition in OSX with no extras installed, it is supported natively and runs fine apart from the fan spinning issue at high speed.

For the Windows Nvidia setup I am using an Aorus/Gigabyte 1080 eGPU via Thunderbolt 3. Yes, that is right! As you can see from the screenshot, I can use the card for encoding purposes in Windows.

Because I have not setup the EX Thunderbolt 3 card in OSX, I can boot into OSX. The OS is completely ignoring the card, because it does not even see the TB3 card.

This way I can now use both cards and leave the external housing connected even during OSX sessions.

Thanks to DSM2, who tried to help with a custom *.aml solution. The hardware solution via eGPU is finally an acceptable solution with no need to mess with disabling the Nvidia card under OSX in order to properly boot into OSX.

What a great day!

flymovies

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Well, I found the problem: I was using the LG 5K Ultrafine via my dual-port TB3 card. I tried switching to my LG 32" 4K display, and then it worked fine --- no more black screen.
Try the Vega5KFixup kext that is linked to in the first post. That should fix it for you...

Loloflat6_TB3_USBC_15_04_2018.png
Try the Vega5KFixup kext that is linked to in the first post. That should fix it for you...

Thanks very much !!! :

My issue is solved : I can boot with the ThunderboltEx 3 connected on USB C !

Nice day !

[Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ SE RX580 is fully supported on 10.13.4 : no boot flag/ no kext needed]

For resume :
- Hot plug is fully working and sleep/wake ok
- Display screen connected DP ---> USB C is Ok
- My own SSDT for TB3
- Bios recommended settings + PCi devices set on legacy

Last edited:
So, interestingly, when I had set the HS entry where the broadcom BT card appears (HS14) with the UsbConnector value of 255, it had worked superbly on first reboot (all my BT devices reconnected automatically). However, this is no longer the case: while the BT card is seen, it can't see any devices and no devices can see the mac either.

When I set it to 0, other devices can see the mac, but the mac can't see anything (though I can pair the mac just fine)...

With no kext at all, it works perfectly (can see BT devices on the mac, and the devices can see the mac).
This is the Info.plist I use for the ASRock Gaming Professional

Wait a minute, how are you finding your ports?

Here are the correct steps of finding ports. I hope this is what you're doing, if not this is what you should do.

1. Remove X299USB.kext from your other/efi folder and also remove any USB kext (including USBInjectAll) (except your Bluetooth/Wifi) ones.
2. Reboot.
3. Enable latest USB Port Limit patch in config.plist.

Code:
             <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>USB Port Limit Patch ©PMHeart</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>g32UDw+DlwQAAA==</data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleUSBXHCI</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>g32UGpCQkJCQkA==</data>
            </dict>

4. Reboot
5. Use IOReg 2.1 to find your ports
6. Add them to your info.plist inside your X299USB.kext as you have done before.
7. Disable "USB Port Limit Patch ©PMHeart" in config.plist
8. Put the X299USB.kext back into your other/kext folder
9. Reboot

If you have done it this way then forget I repeated the steps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back