Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry @kgp , I read more carefully and you explain everything in E5 !

Hi @kgp!
Please would you confirm I've understood you properly:
  • as I'm about to do a clean install, I should not connect the TB 3 extension card to the Asus Mainboard (see C.4 section)
  • I should remove the entries detailed in C.14 section
and then what ? I install High Sierra and when I'm done I connect the TB3 extension card and only complete the
E.9.2.11) - ThunderboltEX 3 Controller PCI Implementation section to make it work ?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Besides, about APS vs HFS+ :

in C.8 section you say we can opt for an APFS system disk implementation
but in D.4.1 you advice to prepare a virgin destination drive for by formatting it with HFS+...
So if I choose APFS, do I need to create a USB Flash drive installer formatted with APFS too ?

Many Thanks

I am using the startech USB-c to Thunderbolt converter to make my Apple Thunderbolt display to work. I dont see how i could connect the thunderbolt display to my GPU :) ?

If your TB card is in slot 3, that means youre not using TB, so the Web cam, speakers, firewire, Ethernet port, none of them are working. You're using your TB display as a plain DP screen.

Update with ASRock Fatal1ty board.
I have sleep working.
It kept waking up due to the XHCI and GBE1 (ETH0) PRW method in the original DSDT that did:
Return (GPRW (0x6D, 0x04))

I changed that into:
Return (GPRW (0x69, 0x04))

That and TB3 hotplug working (still no go with USB-C on the TB3 card though)...

Is there a way to easily remove the PRW method of a particular device using clover, rather than having the modify the entire DSDT (which makes upgrade painful) ??

@kgp question for you... I can see with the Intel Power Gadget that the frequency changes all the way down to 1.2GHz, yet, following "E.1) HWP (Intel SpeedShift Technology) CPU Power Management Configuration"

X86PlatformPlugin.kext isn't loaded (kextstat|grep -y x86plat returns nothing). I have plugin-type checked in Clover, and in the CP00@0, I can see that the plugin-type property was inserted.
sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count also returns 0.

Any suggestions, or entry in the BIOS I should be looking at?

thanks

Actually, when I boot on my 10.13.3 partition, it all shows properly. But not on 10.13.4
And in 10.13.3 sleep doesn't work, but it works in 10.13.4

If your TB card is in slot 3, that means you're not using TB, so the Web cam, speakers, firewire, Ethernet port, none of them are working. You're using your TB display as a plain DP screen.

That is what i am telling you :) it does work! I also changed it to slot-3 in the ssdt.aml file in the efi folder..

So I am having a problem with trying to get 10.13.4 installed: I created the USB installer, and everything seems to go well until I get to the "DSMOS has arrived" message.....at that point, the screen goes black and stays that way. The system def for my installer is imac 17,1, and I have the nv_disable flag set.

Thinking this might be a graphics card issue? My video card is a Vega Frontier (Liquid), and I thought that these are natively supported now.

Anyway, if any of you guys could send some suggestions my way, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

So I am having a problem with trying to get 10.13.4 installed: I created the USB installer, and everything seems to go well until I get to the "DSMOS has arrived" message.....at that point, the screen goes black and stays that way. The system def for my installer is imac 17,1, and I have the nv_disable flag set.

Thinking this might be a graphics card issue? My video card is a Vega Frontier (Liquid), and I thought that these are natively supported now.

Anyway, if any of you guys could send some suggestions my way, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Attila,

the def in my installer is iMac Pro 1,1
what you describe was an Issue I had in the very beginning as well. Even though I have an 1080ti and could fix it with the Nvidia GrafixFix.
So I guess you can try to use the Vegafix to get it running.

All the Best
Frank

That is what i am telling you :) it does work! I also changed it to slot-3 in the ssdt.aml file in the efi folder..
Oh... sorry,I'm confusing with someone who had a Gigabye motherboard. There the TB card only works in PCI x4_2.. With the Asus, of course, the card can work anywhere, so long that it's configured in the BIOS.

I'm almost there with my ASRock MB. Sleep works, but when waking up, there's a 50% change TB won't work again, even plugging unplugging does nothing.

Same time here...
I’m guessing with just one screen it will work, be it connected to the TB3 or directly to the RX580. It makes no difference really that it goes via the TB3. The DP signal is passed through

I made some progress since last time :

My TB3 is working but not fully :

Working :):
- Hot plug external SSD connected on USB C
- Hot plug external HDD ( or USB ) connected on USB 3.1

Not working :banghead::
- Screen connected on USB C

To be continued...:beachball:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back