Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to know.
I experience lock up when I OC a tad too much, and the AVX offset is a bit too low. So for example, on my setup with the 7980xe, I use the "Per Core Usage" running at 4.6GHz for up to 8 cores.
I need to have the AVX2 offset at 4 for things not to hang.

Try this maybe.

Aha, The thing is that i dont have my i9-7980XE OC, it is at 2,6ghz. I havent gone through the process of OC-ing the processor yet.. Is there any need for that :) its enough cores on it :) Btw, i have the Thunderbolt 3 connected to PCI_3 and changed that in the ssdt.aml file as well.. So it works connected to the PCI_3 on the motherboard! Do you know what i need to do in order to have a stable system when i am not OC the CPU ?

Thanks!

Can't think of anything. I never had it crash when running at stock speed. Always been super stable.
The 7980 runs at 4GHz without exceeding 75C with the h115i pro. Why not enjoy. Otherwise whats the point of getting an unlocked processor?

@neliuz your TB3 card works in slot 3 in the GB because you aren't using any TB3 device, just the DP output. As I mentioned yesterday, you could disable TB in the BIOS and it would still work the same.
For that you have no need for the TB3 card to start with, may as well plug your screen directly to the AMD GPU

Can't think of anything. I never had it crash when running at stock speed. Always been super stable.
The 7980 runs at 4GHz without exceeding 75C with the h115i pro. Why not enjoy. Otherwise whats the point of getting an unlocked processor?

So the processor i have is meant to be overclocked ? the i9-7980XE ?

@neliuz your TB3 card works in slot 3 in the GB because you aren't using any TB3 device, just the DP output. As I mentioned yesterday, you could disable TB in the BIOS and it would still work the same.
For that you have no need for the TB3 card to start with, may as well plug your screen directly to the AMD GPU

I am using the startech USB-c to Thunderbolt converter to make my Apple Thunderbolt display to work. I dont see how i could connect the thunderbolt display to my GPU :) ?

a.) In my personal opinion, the difference between the Prime and Prime Deluxe does not just consist in a few bells & whistles ;)...

Agree. I was referring to the Hackintosh side of things... It was pretty similar from a config standpoint. I do understand and recognize the differences between the 2 boards, at a hardware level.

b.) What are the advantages of the Rampage VI Apex in terms of OC? Both, Rampage VI Apex and Extreme are know not to be very handy in terms of OSX. In my opinion, e.g. the Asus X299 Sage, the Gigabyte X299 Designare EX or even the ASRock x299 Professional Gaming definitely would have been the better decision.

I looked into the Designare EX. I would be paying for things I wouldn't want (TB3, etc) and losing on OC features I do want. In terms of OC, that's what this board (Apex) is geared for. It has a bunch of neat features for OC'ing, and it's a known XOC (Extreme Overclocking) board, so it tends to get better/more stable overclocks of both CPU and RAM (check most benchmark rankings and this boards and the EVGA Dark are the most popular 2, from both professional and amateur overclockers).

FWIW, the DIMM.2 slots are a joy to work with (no more having to remove PCI cards to access M.2 slots), the onboard controls (safe boot, retry, voltage read endpoints, slow mode, etc) are fantastic, and the quality, overall, is superb. It is basically a cheaper ROG Extreme but with all the bells and whistles minus a few things (4 DIMM slots vs 8, etc).

Good luck in any case with your endevour ;)

I'm asking how I can help myself (and others) users of this board. I got it to boot fine with no DSDTs (using the installer USB Clover, but booting to my current install) and my GTX770. I want to help create the appropriate DSDTs for this board and get the 1080 Tis working (which worked with the X299-A) and smoothly, that's all. Just asking for pointers on how to customize the "official" X299 DSDTs and configs to work with this board. :) I'm guessing it'll be more similar to the ROG Extreme than the Prime Deluxe, but I'm willing to put in the time and effort to get them done.

Hope I can get some guidance... ;) Thanks.

Great to know.
I experience lock up when I OC a tad too much, and the AVX offset is a bit too low. So for example, on my setup with the 7980xe, I use the "Per Core Usage" running at 4.6GHz for up to 8 cores.
I need to have the AVX2 offset at 4 for things not to hang.

Try this maybe.

Just curious, what are the exact settings you have for your OC?

Just curious, what are the exact settings you have for your OC?

Hi @eiriasemrys, I've seen that you have a x299 system running with a Titan X Maxwell, I have a friend who is mounting a system with a graphics card like yours but has problems to restart and to shut down the system, in either case, the system seems to restart, the screen is shown in black but the oled meter on the motherboard continues to show the temperature, does not turn off or restart. I wonder if you would be so kind as to advise me on a solution or publish your EFI folder to be able to compare with my friend, thank you very much, regards.

Hi @kgp!
Please would you confirm I've understood you properly:
  • as I'm about to do a clean install, I should not connect the TB 3 extension card to the Asus Mainboard (see C.4 section)
  • I should remove the entries detailed in C.14 section
and then what ? I install High Sierra and when I'm done I connect the TB3 extension card and only complete the
E.9.2.11) - ThunderboltEX 3 Controller PCI Implementation section to make it work ?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back