Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!

I see.. I have a Apple Thunderbolt Display connected to the thunderbolt 3 device.. Do i need to add anything in there regarding thunderbolt 3 ? On the device implementation ? I already have the SSDT-XOSI.aml in the EFI folder patches.
it's all in the guide, I don't see what more I can add.
As I mentioned, you only need the SSDT provided by @kgp, nothing more. You have the same board as him and he's done all the hard work already.

Just use his file as-is, only making the modifications for your graphic card.

The USB XHC and the _SB.USBX device are listed in the config.plist when opening it in clover configuration right ? So i just Enable them there? Or do you mean actually add them to the SSDT configurations ? Can you please point me to the right direction regarding the DSM method for 1080Ti ?

Thank you.

please read the guide, it's all in there. But yes, you need to check all replacement in the clover configurator.

The the 1080Ti, open the iMacPro SSDT, search for GFX0
there you see:

Code:
                        "device-id",
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x06, 0x1B, 0x00, 0x00                      
                        },

0x1B06 is the device id for a nvidia 1080Ti (https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/10de/1b06)
look at what the device id is for yours in the System Information -> PCI screen
You'll see an entry in there like:
Device ID: 0x6863

so replace the value in the SSDT so it's valid for yours. Be careful, those numbers are inverted as SSDT uses big-endian notation.
so the 0x6863 device id:
it becomes:
0x63, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00

The 1070 should be this one:
https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/10de/1b81

so you replace:
0x06, 0x1B, 0x00, 0x00
with:
0x81, 0x1B, 0x00, 0x00

it's all in the guide, I don't see what more I can add.
As I mentioned, you only need the SSDT provided by @kgp, nothing more. You have the same board as him and he's done all the hard work already.

Just use his file as-is, only making the modifications for your graphic card.

please read the guide, it's all in there. But yes, you need to check all replacement in the clover configurator.

The the 1080Ti, open the iMacPro SSDT, search for GFX0
there you see:

Code:
                        "device-id",
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x06, 0x1B, 0x00, 0x00                     
                        },

0x1B06 is the device id for a nvidia 1080Ti (https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/10de/1b06)
look at what the device id is for yours in the System Information -> PCI screen
You'll see an entry in there like:
Device ID: 0x6863

so replace the value in the SSDT so it's valid for yours. Be careful, those numbers are inverted as SSDT uses big-endian notation.
so the 0x6863 device id:
it becomes:
0x63, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00

The 1070 should be this one:
https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/10de/1b81

so you replace:
0x06, 0x1B, 0x00, 0x00
with:
0x81, 0x1B, 0x00, 0x00

Thank you.

BTW, there are use for a working airport even if you don't use it, even if it's not connected to any wifi network, so long that it's active.
For example, this is what Apple uses to determine your location in various utilities (like maps)

All the more reason not to have Wi-Fi. Security reasons. Although theoretically you can “disable” location services.

I am still struggling to understand what I have to change when I open SSDT-X299-iMacPro.asl in MaciASL. I thought since the original SSDT-X299-iMacPro.asl came from KGP's ASUS Deluxe motherboard everything should be the same for me because I use exact same motherboard. Should I check my build's IOREg for specific parameters and change some entries in SSDT-X299-iMacPro.asl?

sure you have to.
remove thunderbolt section and definition if you don't have it.
give proper device-id.
there's a post from KGP that teaches how to do that, what to look for in IOReg.

Hi, I am working on the PCI implement stage. And my board is Gigabyte. There is a problem with CHANGING a variable name 'PXSX' which should change the address name directly in SSDT. I read the KGP's method and tried it many many times with the 'PXSX' --> 'ARPT' example. But I don't think that change method is working. BUT INTERESTING THING IS another 'PXSX' for NVME 'ANS2' actually changed. I am pretty much sure I used the same code type for both. The other PCI implements are working well except in config.plist. My board's many PCI devices are using name 'PXSX'. Does anyone have the same trouble?

Currently using a Vega card with the Alpine Ridge TB3 card --- no issues getting 5K in High Sierra with this setup. Lately, I've been thinking of going to a 1080 Ti card, and configuring it the same way (Two DP video card outputs going into two TB3 card inputs, and the TB3 card output direct to the 5K display).

Can someone confirm that this setup would also get me 5K resolution with the 1080 Ti card? I have read somewhere that the Nvidia drivers don't support MST very well in macOS, and so I could not get 5K resolution.

Currently using macOS 10.13.4.

Any input would be welcome --- thanks!

You can use the SSDT-X299-iMacPro @kgp has provided, you only to make changes to the GFX0 entry, modifying the device-id value in the DSM method as the one there is for a 1080Ti.
Leave the rest, having entries that aren't map to anything (like ARPT) don't make any difference.
You can leave everything else as-is, as per the guide, make sure you also have the SSDT-XOSI.amlloaded too as they go with one another.

If you're feeling confident with your SSDT skill, and don't care about having the devices listed in the PCI screen (it's purely cosmetic), you can remove most of it, only keep the ones related to USB XHC and the _SB.USBX device

BTW, there are use for a working airport even if you don't use it, even if it's not connected to any wifi network, so long that it's active.
For example, this is what Apple uses to determine your location in various utilities (like maps)

Not only does Apple use Wifi/Bluetooth for important things like location services, but also really awesome Handoff/Continuity features as I have outlined in this post.

It really doesn't make sense using macOS without Wifi/BT especially if you have an iOS device like an iPhone nearby. You'd be missing out on some really cool features that make life easier.

All the more reason not to have Wi-Fi. Security reasons. Although theoretically you can “disable” location services.

Apple is one of the only companies in Silicon Valley that cares about your privacy to a certain extent and they spend millions to make it more secure....compared to Google, Amazon and Microsoft, Apple is brilliant in this regard.

For Apple, you are not the product, you are the customer.

For the rest, you are the product. This is why Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft give you so many "free" services in return by using your data to make them money in various ways.

Not only does Apple use Wifi/Bluetooth for important things like location services, but also really awesome Handoff/Continuity features as I have outlined in this post.

It really doesn't make sense using macOS without Wifi/BT especially if you have an iOS device like an iPhone nearby. You'd be missing out on some really cool features that make life easier.

I concur. I got a Broadcom 943602CS purely for those features. (And it was $40)

Currently using a Vega card with the Alpine Ridge TB3 card --- no issues getting 5K in High Sierra with this setup. Lately, I've been thinking of going to a 1080 Ti card, and configuring it the same way (Two DP video card outputs going into two TB3 card inputs, and the TB3 card output direct to the 5K display).

Can someone confirm that this setup would also get me 5K resolution with the 1080 Ti card? I have read somewhere that the Nvidia drivers don't support MST very well in macOS, and so I could not get 5K resolution.

Currently using macOS 10.13.4.

Any input would be welcome --- thanks!

The Nvidia 1080 card will do 5K just fine.
But that's not what you need to worry about: you won't get macos to work with both the AMD and the Nvidia cards connected.
Or if you managed to get it to work, please let us know!

Many have tried with no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back