Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What RX560 do you have?

XFX has issues. The others don't. If XFX let me know, there's a way to change the vBIOS to Sapphire OC and it will work.

I have a RX560 in another system and it works perfectly fine.

For the black screen issue, drop in nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext (yes I know it says nvidia...) in your efi/other/kext and it will fix that issue.

MSI low profile 4GB OC RX560 -- I got some help. Got it working. with a patch

I received this connector (http://pcpartsandcables.com//product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=104) which is a 5 pins adapter 2.54mm pitch to 2mm pitch. This allowed me to connect the ASRock TB3 AIC card (or the Asus ThunderboltEX card) to the gigabyte Gaming 7 Pro motherboard. Simply connect the pin as-is, don't revert them as mentioned in another thread.

Thanks to @maleorderbride SSDT, I have hotplug working (both USB and TB3 devices)...
I believe it should work with the Designare too, the ASRock TB3 card uses the same intel thunderbolt chipset, and the ACPI path of the TB3 with the Gaming 7 Pro is the same as the Designare.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3.aml
    682 bytes · Views: 237
I received this connector (http://pcpartsandcables.com//product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=104) which is a 5 pins adapter 2.54mm pitch to 2mm pitch. This allowed me to connect the ASRock TB3 AIC card (or the Asus ThunderboltEX card) to the gigabyte Gaming 7 Pro motherboard. Simply connect the pin as-is, don't revert them as mentioned in another thread.

Thanks to @maleorderbride SSDT, I have hotplug working (both USB and TB3 devices)...
I believe it should work with the Designare too, the ASRock TB3 card uses the same intel thunderbolt chipset, and the ACPI path of the TB3 with the Gaming 7 Pro is the same as the Designare.

Did you have to do the PCI Arbitrary insert, or is the ssdt all that is needed???

14.) Note that I added to the config.plist contained in EFI-X299-10.13.4-Release-iMacPro1,1-310318.zip in Section "Devices" of Clover Configurator under "Arbitrary" the following details absolutely mandatory for TB hot plug functionality in line with the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml, detailed in Section E.9.2) of this guide:

Code:
PCIAddr*        Comment

01:00.00        PCI THUNDERBOLT 1578 0

Code:
Key*                 value*         Value Type
PCI-Thunderbolt      1              NUMBER
IOName               pci-bridge     STRING

View attachment 322122

All credits to @borysbass.

These entries should be removed by all users without TB hardware implementation.

[QUOTEI received this connector (http://pcpartsandcables.com//product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=104) which is a 5 pins adapter 2.54mm pitch to 2mm pitch. This allowed me to connect the ASRock TB3 AIC card (or the Asus ThunderboltEX card) to the gigabyte Gaming 7 Pro motherboard. Simply connect the pin as-is, don't revert them as mentioned in another thread.

I believe it should work with the Designare too, the ASRock TB3 card uses the same intel thunderbolt chipset, and the ACPI path of the TB3 with the Gaming 7 Pro is the same as the Designare.[/QUOTE]

That sounds awesome. Glad to see progress is being made with TB3 on various motherboards. Did you make a switch to Gaming 7 Pro motherboard? I thought you settled with Deluxe for good :)

I was actually thinking about trying to spend some time on figuring out how to implement SSDT for my Designare, even though all PCIe devices I'm currently using are already working as expected. Do you know if SSDT you attached will work with Designare as it is? Or would it require additional editing based on PCIe slots layout and on devices that are installed in those slots? I'm still very green when it comes to inner-workings of SSDT an its implementation method in general, so any insight is appreciated.

That sounds awesome. Glad to see progress is being made with TB3 on various motherboards. Did you make a switch to Gaming 7 Pro motherboard? I thought you settled with Deluxe for good :)

Problem is that as I purchased the ASRock TB3 card, I didn't want to waste it. And the Gaming 7 pro is less expensive than the Designare, but has exactly the same specs otherwise.
Problem is the TB3 card must be in a particular slot which prevent the use of the 2nd PCIx16 slot (my 2nd graphic card is 2 slots wide

The Designare or the Gaming 7 Pro are excellent board. Unfortunately, I since realise the all Gigabyte X299 boards have their TB3 only available through the PCH, and the PCH PCIx4 is shared with network, nvme, usb and thunderbolt. Very poor design choice.
I was actually thinking about trying to spend some time on figuring out how to implement SSDT for my Designare, even though all PCIe devices I'm currently using are already working as expected. Do you know if SSDT you attached will work with Designare as it is? Or would it require additional editing based on PCIe slots layout and on devices that are installed in those slots? I'm still very green when it comes to inner-workings of SSDT an its implementation method in general, so any insight is appreciated.

For the Designare you need this SSDT, you also need the PC00->PCI0 Clover's DSDT patch for this SSDT to work.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-DESIGNARE.aml
    674 bytes · Views: 142
Problem is that as I purchased the ASRock TB3 card, I didn't want to waste it. And the Gaming 7 pro is less expensive than the Designare, but has exactly the same specs otherwise.
Problem is the TB3 card must be in a particular slot which prevent the use of the 2nd PCIx16 slot (my 2nd graphic card is 2 slots wide

The Designare or the Gaming 7 Pro are excellent board. Unfortunately, I since realise the all Gigabyte X299 boards have their TB3 only available through the PCH, and the PCH PCIx4 is shared with network, nvme, usb and thunderbolt. Very poor design choice.

For the Designare you need this SSDT, you also need the PC00->PCI0 Clover's DSDT patch for this SSDT to work.

I see. That makes sense. Running two GPUs does change things.

I wonder if shared bandwidth means I won't be able to use TB3 because I have two M.2 drives installed. I need to take a look at the manual to see if they have a chart in there listing limitations of various M.2 configurations.

Thank you for the SSDT. I will give it a go later tonight. As always, I appreciate your help.

I see. That makes sense. Running two GPUs does change things.

I wonder if shared bandwidth means I won't be able to use TB3 because I have two M.2 drives installed. I need to take a look at the manual to see if they have a chart in there listing limitations of various M.2 configurations.
It's easy to tell if it's on the PCH or the CPU PCI lanes.
PCH is SB.PCI0.RPXX
CPU is on SB.PC0[1-4].BRXX (like SB.PC01.BR1A for PCIx16_1) or SLOT 1 (as @kgp calls it in his guide).

I still have the IOReg of my Designare, both NVMe drives were on the PCH. Using M.2 only have restrictions when using SATA's ones... it disables some PCH's SATA ports.

It's easy to tell if it's on the PCH or the CPU PCI lanes.
PCH is SB.PCI0.RPXX
CPU is on SB.PC0[1-4].BRXX (like SB.PC01.BR1A for PCIx16_1) or SLOT 1 (as @kgp calls it in his guide).

I still have the IOReg of my Designare, both NVMe drives were on the PCH. Using M.2 only have restrictions when using SATA's ones... it disables some PCH's SATA ports.

That's what it was...disabling of certain SATA ports when M.2 drives are installed. Now I remember it.

Need to take a look at my IOReg. I just know that one M.2 drive (with macOS) is installed in the slot right next to CPU. Second M.2 drive (with Win) is installed in the slot underneath/next to graphics card in SLOT 1.

When you do the Clover EFI v2 (2.4k_r4428) which options do you have to check? This was previously explained in the first post and then everything changed. Is it only Install for UEFI booting only (and Install Clover in the ESP) and under Drivers64UEFI-AptioMemoryFix that has to be checked or anything else?
Update: I am now installing it onto the m.2 SSD. Will write back once I get stuck again. As it seems to work out; before anything else happens I will do the same install on a Samsung 860 Evo 1TB and an old Samsung 840 Evo 1TB and Seagate 240GB so I have 4 copies.
First snafu: installed NVidia webdriver 387.10.10.10.30.103 on 860 Evo and got the black screen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back