Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the only thing required with the Designare is doing the USB assignment, otherwise some ports don't work, or don't work well...

The main issue with the Designare is that the USB 3.1 gen 2 only comes from the TB ports, and not having hotplug on usb ports suck big time.

I'm pretty sure I'm using DSM2's USB kext. So far every port that I have tried is working. I need to find time to test TB ports. Either way, thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it. I might have more questions later on :)

Im encountering issues building 1.2.5.. is there a compiled version out there? can't find the latest Lilu.kext 1.2.3 Debug.

Update. Found them here.. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sierra-10-13-4-387-10-10-10-30.249039/page-17

Installed the latest Nvidia 387.10.10.10.30.103 driver with the coda update and things seem to work fine.

Debug version of Lilu.kext needs to be copied to build root folder in order to build Lilu plugins such as NvidiaGraphicsFixup.
So, first build a debug version of Lilu.kext with command
Code:
xcodebuild -configuration Debug
Copy what you just built from the build folder over to the NvidiaGraphicsFixup root and then build the NvidiaGraphicsFixup kext.

Debug version of Lilu.kext needs to be copied to build root folder in order to build Lilu plugins such as NvidiaGraphicsFixup.
So, first build a debug version of Lilu.kext with command
Code:
xcodebuild -configuration Debug
Copy what you just built from the build folder over to the NvidiaGraphicsFixup root and then build the NvidiaGraphicsFixup kext.

Thanks!

.106 seems to be more stable and smoother than 103.. I've just experienced some major lag in iTunes, especially with scrolling in the library, not to mention the system almost locked up while the audio seem to start and stop a couple of times.

Update : Also experienced Graphic glitches in iTunes with .106 so u reverted to the old Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup 1.2.3 with seems to have normalised my system and fixed the screen resolution issue from wake from sleep.

Will stick to this version till somebody else reports better stability with the new updates.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'm using DSM2's USB kext. So far every port that I have tried is working. I need to find time to test TB ports. Either way, thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it. I might have more questions later on :)

I was referring to the USB C ports. Did you get them working with hotplug?

I was referring to the USB C ports. Did you get them working with hotplug?

Haven't had a chance to test it yet. I've only used USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices. Not even sure if I have a USB C device for testing purposes.

I haven't tried that yet, will do. Thought it was "obsolete."

It is, but there might have been something you missed from the original guide and this kext will help in the mean time.

I have them connected like this:
TB3 -> TB3/TB2 adapter -> Pegasus 2 R4 -> Apple TB display -> Lacie

I tried just the Pegasus \, just the Apple display, or just the Lacie... Behaviour is always the same. All those devices are TB1 except the Pegasus (TB2)
I have a Samsung S8 connected to the second TB3 port via a 2m TB3 thunderbolt cable (that's just for charging). If I plug the S8 while the mac is running, it will cause the OS to hang.
the registry explorer shows that PCIHotplugCapable is properly set on the PC01->BR1A->UPSB->DSB0 device
and PCI-Thunderbolt is also set on PC01->BR1A->UPSB

I've had the same behaviour with the Asus ThunderboltEX (either in port 4 or port 7), the built-in TB3 ports on the designare, or with the ASRock TB3 card with either the Asus Prime Deluxe or the ASRock Professional Gaming EX...

Also, with the Asus ThunderboltEX card, I can't boot the machine if the Apple TB display is connected ; I get an error message about too great USB power draw and then it shuts down. This doesn't occur with the ASRock TB3 card (which uses exactly the same TB3 chipset has the real iMac Pro)

Hey , Rulebreaker01, have you found a solution to the "USB Current Overload" message at boot with the TB Display plugged in? I've made it work by plugging the display during clover as you recommended, but I fear it could damage something on the mobo by doing it that way, I'm I just being paranoid?

Does anyone have a Decklink (Mini monitor or extreme) working on their system? My Decklink worked fine without any SSDT in under the iMac SMBIOS, but since we all switched to iMac Pro SMBIOS, it hasn't worked. If I move it to a different slot it will work fine 1 time, then a reboot kills it.

Does anyone have a Decklink (Mini monitor or extreme) working on their system? My Decklink worked fine without any SSDT in under the iMac SMBIOS, but since we all switched to iMac Pro SMBIOS, it hasn't worked. If I move it to a different slot it will work fine 1 time, then a reboot kills it.
I have a DeckLink 4K Extreme. It was working fine before I created my SSDT. I haven't had much time to play with it since, but it seems to be working fine now...just a quick couple of tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back