Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok one more silly question, The SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml shows up blank in MaciASL, is it blank? Im I suppose to manually copy and paste the SSDT entries from the guide into the empty .aml? or am I doing something wrong here? it also says the input file doesn't appear to be a valid asl or data table source file.

Thanks!

No worries, I downloaded the MaciAsl - DSDT version from this attached post and it worked! it seems that I had a bad or incorrect version of the program.

I'm going to leave this post here just in case somebody might run into such a situation.

Last edited:
Since the update, I cannot boot with both of my monitors plugged in. I can boot with 1 monitor, then I can plug in the second, but both plugged in at boot = black screen. Any thoughts? Any other Maxwell owners that can vouch for dual monitor on 10.13.4?

GFX: Titan X (Maxwell)

Thanks!

@kgp , I would appreciate it if you would update your guide to reflect proper attribution for TB3 hotswap.

Thanks. I installed the drivers, etc., and replaced the cords, but it doesn’t always work and crackles.

I’ll try taking it out and reinstalling the drivers on Windows, then turning off the computer and plugging the card back in, then booting up Windows and plugging the thunderbolt cord back into the Arrow. I doubt the crackling will go away, but I’ll try. Any thoughts on using a different position for the TB3 card?

After you've powered off your machine (that is remove the power completely). Unplug all cables going to the TB card and boot into Windows.
There plug your TB devices and go into the device manager. And select scan for new hardware.

I found that it reliably allows for the card to work.
The best position is the one @kgp recommended in his first great article.

I found that if you use the TB card in any other PCI location with the Apple thunderbolt screen, then the facetime camera and the built in speaker will not work (but they will work in Windows)

DSM2 also found a great trick to get thunderbolt working much more reliably.
Boot into Windows, and uninstall Intel thunderbolt drivers.
Now install the "null" apple bootcamp driver. It includes Apple's own thunderbolt driver.
After you've installed those and confirmed that it it loaded (use the device manager for that) then you'll find that you no longer need to boot windows to get the thunderbolt card working, even after fully powering off the pc.

Not only that you did not manage to get sleep/wake working with 4 different mainboard solutions, you also repeatedly failed in successfully implementing TB XHC USB and TB hot plug functionality.

That is true, I haven't managed to get hotplug working with my existing TB devices regardless of the TB card used (asus or asrock).
Even using the exact same base hardware as you and the same efi and SSDT.
My guess is that it doesn't work because of the thunderbolt devices I'm using (apple TB display), Promise Pegasus R4 and lacie TB ssd.
None of those devices show up on Windows intel TB drivers as being TB certified. That could be the reason.

Instead of starting a constructive discussion, you started advertising e.g. against SSDTs or iemy TB settings (which supposedly lock the BIOS in your personal opinion), even without providing any further details or largely unnecessary alternative solutions...

That is entirely inaccurate and taken out of context. At the time I was replying to a user who got worried that he may not succeed in getting his motherboard to work, and that he should get the asus instead. All x299 boards can be made to work with little work,

As for the BIOS TB settings locking, you seem to have missed that this was WITH THE ASROCK TB CARD!!!! And I was answering a question on that topic. It is not a personal opinion, it's a fact. When using the ASROCK TB card with the asus prime deluxe, you can't change the TB settings in the bios. Otherwise the PC will lock up after you save the bios settings. Obviously the problem doesn't occur with the Asus ThunderboltEX

In contrary to any reasonable constructive scientific approach, you just discredited fully working approaches and you just unsettled the readers with your erroneous and contra productive statements and conclusions.

I discredit nothing, seeing that I am very grateful for the tremendous work you've done in describing how to get up and running.

I would have never got mine going without your help.

So how could you think that I'm discrediting your work, when I've always been thankful and appreciative of it.

All I pointed was thst the majority of the SSDT code could not be included and it would work just as well.

And stop thinking that any posts suggesting a different way is made to personally attack you or discredit your work....

Thank you for the quick reply! I’ll give it a shot tonight! Great guide by the way. Simplest explanation of hackintosh I’ve seen yet for pro-level Systems. Thank you for all the hard work compiling the guide!

So I found it was the OS X WiFi card implementation doing me in. I removed that code and disabled the acpi dsdt patch for SLOC -> ARPT and almost everything is perfect.

The one thing that still isn’t working is HDMI audio. I did activate the kexts to patch from FredWst but still no audio. HDEF thru the Realtek audio works fine though. Will try DP audio later. Anyone else have this issue?

I have no doubt an SSDT can help, but I'm yet to read anyone actually pinpointing which change was absolutely necessary or which change caused sleep/wake to suddenly work.
So I'm very curious about that.

People have reported sleep/wake to work for them, even without SSDT changes. Or people using the SSDTfor the asus with a different motherboard, even though nine of the ACPI paths matched.

DSM2 had sleep/wake working with nothing.
Me even though I have the exact same board as you and configuration, and use an identical EFI folder, I never managed to get sleep to work properly. I've tried with 4 different motherboards. Never worked.
So my guess is the sleep/wake works depending on what you actually connect.
I have a device in my system that prevents sleep. I can't figure out which one though.
I'm certain it has nothing to do with the SSDT
For those of you with sleep / wake issues, do you have a AIO connected to usb?

I built a hackintosh for a friend, and had the H100i that the system would wake after sleeping for 2 seconds.

The fix was to remove the USB port it was plugged in using the allusb.kext route.

Can anyone tell me if this works with TWO gtx 1070 cards!?

No problemo with 970 - 1 hdmi + 1 DP

Thanks, and have you implemented the ssdt per the guide, or do you run without? Also I assume you are on .106 Nvidia driver...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back